By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games held the crown for best visuals in 2015?

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

They don't give you prettier stills but they do give a more pleasant visual experience in motion.

More pleaseant in "motion" and in "fluidity" indeed but using the word "visuals" is still not correct when we go by definition ...

Framerate is visually percieved. The fluidity or choppiness we get from it are a visual experience. We don't hear, smell, taste, or touch framerate, we see it, hence it's visual.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Framerate is visually percieved. The fluidity or choppiness we get from it are a visual experience. We don't hear, smell, taste, or touch framerate, we see it, hence it's visual.

We see and visually perceive it alright but in the context of pure graphics, framerate is irrelevant ...

curl-6 said:

We see and visually perceive it alright but in the context of pure graphics, framerate is irrelevant ...

One's interpretation of the word "graphics" is variable, (some use it soley to refer to technical qualities, others include aesthetics in the equation) but the thread title does say "best visuals", and part of the visual experience of a game is how smoothly it runs.

The Order 1886 is probably the best visual in 2015, then Until Dawn aaand then MGSV The Phantom Pain.

curl-6 said:

One's interpretation of the word "graphics" is variable, (some use it soley to refer to technical qualities, others include aesthetics in the equation) but the thread title does say "best visuals", and part of the visual experience of a game is how smoothly it runs.

I'm not exactly sure how you can have more than one interpretation of the term "graphics" in this case when the specific definition of it is "visual images produced by computer processing" ... 

Framerate is definitely a part of our visible experience but it's a totally diferent story when we're doing an image by image comparison ...

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I'm not exactly sure how you can have more than one interpretation of the term "graphics" in this case when the specific definition of it is "visual images produced by computer processing" ... 

Framerate is definitely a part of our visible experience but it's a totally diferent story when we're doing an image by image comparison ...

Games are not experienced as a static medium though, they are experienced in motion, so merely assessing the content of each frame rather than the resulting visual experience doesn't tell the whole story.

curl-6 said:

Games are not experienced as a static medium though, they are experienced in motion, so merely assessing the content of each frame rather than the resulting visual experience doesn't tell the whole story.

I agree that games are meant to be interactive real time experiences but there DOES exist a fine line between visual QUALITY and animation FLUIDITY ... 

curl-6 said:

I agree that games are meant to be interactive real time experiences but there DOES exist a fine line between visual QUALITY and animation FLUIDITY ... 

I'd contend that framerate plays a role in visual quality because the overall visual experience we percieve is improved by fluidity or reduced by choppiness.

curl-6 said:

I'd contend that framerate plays a role in visual quality because the overall visual experience we percieve is improved by fluidity or reduced by choppiness.

It definitely plays a role on our perceptible experience but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree for now ...

curl-6 said:

It definitely plays a role on our perceptible experience but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree for now ...

Yeah, pretty much, agree to disagree. :)