By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What videogame sequels you think ended up screwing what was done in the orginal?

97alexk said:
AZWification said:

Metroid Other M and Sticker Star. Seriously, fuck those games.

Other M wasnt that bad xD It was okay metroid game. Bosses were cool and inside the bottle ship was kinda cool location, cool enemies, and the boss fights were awsome. I think the dissapointing part for me, was the lack of variety, the style of gameplay and music. Also story, but i never care about the story in Metroid games that much even though they are fun.

There was also the linearity. I also didn't like how i had to play the game with the damn D-Pad. Still doesn't make any sense to me!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
the_dark_lewd said:
Dark Souls 2. I didn't play Demon's Souls, and won't unless they remaster it. So Dark Souls 2 was the second game in the series to me and I thought it was worse in every way but the graphics. I just had no interest in it at all compared to the first, which I think is a masterpiece.

It wasn't that bad but indeed pretty forgettable next to the first one. I had no desire in new game+ in the second one, partly because I had already had all I wanted fom it by upgrading the bonfires, a mechanic that basically ruined the game.
Now I still haven't touched Bloodborne (bought it yet not installed) as the different focus on combat is another change I'm not happy with. I liked the slow tactical combat of DS. Every time I see a fight in Bloodborne I rather start a different game.

SvennoJ said:
the_dark_lewd said:
Dark Souls 2. I didn't play Demon's Souls, and won't unless they remaster it. So Dark Souls 2 was the second game in the series to me and I thought it was worse in every way but the graphics. I just had no interest in it at all compared to the first, which I think is a masterpiece.

It wasn't that bad but indeed pretty forgettable next to the first one. I had no desire in new game+ in the second one, partly because I had already had all I wanted fom it by upgrading the bonfires, a mechanic that basically ruined the game.
Now I still haven't touched Bloodborne (bought it yet not installed) as the different focus on combat is another change I'm not happy with. I liked the slow tactical combat of DS. Every time I see a fight in Bloodborne I rather start a different game.

Yep same here. Bloodborne has a much better world than DS2, which was its main problem. The change of combat doesn't really suit me though. I liked the speed in Dark Souls 1. Looking forward to DS3 though.

Myth III, not made by Bungee, was utter crap and it killed the series, that looked like it was growing, as Myth II was better than the first.
Tomb Raider III wasn't crap, but it started killing the series by overmilking it, it was the first to be released too early after the previous title (TR II was released quickly too, but usually this can be forgiven to the first and great sequel of a great new game, and TR II was the best TR ever). From third title on it started declining, back then only FPS and some sports games could survive overmilking.
Duke Nukem Forever: so many years after the previous and best of the series, DN3D, everybody expected nothing less than a masterpiece, sadly we were sorely let down.
Hexen II: not bad, but nothing to write home about, the sequel of the other storyline of the series, Heretic II, was immensely better, and probably the best of the Heretic/Hexen series.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

JNK said:
not really sequels, but further installments in the series.

Gothic 4 (1,2 were awesome, 3 was great, 4 was ...)
Harry Potter PC Games (first 3 awesome, 4-8 awfull)
Guild Wars 2 (liked 1 much, much more. 2 wasnt "bad" though)

I wasnt gonna post, though i know there are loads of examples.

But Guild Wars is the closest to my heart. The original Guild Wars was an amazing MMO like experience. With losts of dept and replayability. It was a joy to customise and play your character. Queue in Guild Wars 2, where anet just decided to revamp everything because they are anet, and this time guess what? They didnt strike gold. You can't re-invent the mmo formula at your pleasure. There are things that are there because they work, and what GW2 did was kill the first game, wich was really good, do away with all cooperative effort by making a zerg fest and then failed to deliver an mmo that wasnt boring and limited with customisation. Yeah, you have some customisation, but you don't have nearly the ammount of customisation and balance you had on the original. The areas are not nearly as imaginative and the gameplay is repetitive.

Story of how a company killed his sucessful product to make a turd. Well, done anet. You ruined my youth.

Btw, JNK. The thing with Gothic 4 was it wasnt Gothic 4. Thats why in later releases they just called it Arcania. It was an ok game on the PS4. Great vistas, but the combat detection was messed up. I still went through it though. If it wasnt for the messed up combat i might've kept it.

Around the Network

Even though I like most of these games (at least now, perhaps not so much at launch), they certainly didn't make all fans of the original too excite: Super Mario Bros. 2 US, Legend of Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, Yoshi's Story (basically Yoshi's Island 2), Parasite Eve 2, Chrono Cross, Devil May Cry 2, Resistance 2, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2....I'm sure there's more WTF #2's out there...

My personal disappointment was Dino Crisis 2. It went from a Resident Evil style game, to more of a generic action game.

Rome II Total War

The first is a classic of its genre and beloved within its franchise. Rome II also followed right after Shogun II, which is one of the twin peaks of the series (seriously, if you want to try this series buy Medieval 2 or Shogun 2. And if you get Medieval 2 download the Third Age Total War mod, it's freaking amazing). And yet Rome 2 managed to go and screw that all up with an absolutely embarrassing launch, DLC whoring, brain dead AI, and absolutely asss backwards design choices. Random flags to capture in random battles to win, transport ships - meant to mix up naval battles by forcing you to protect your vulnerable troops - are freaking super weapons that can take out 90% of naval vessels with ease, and graphics that were, battles that are stupidly short, troops that break formation way to quickly, graphics that were atrociously optimized and looked nothing like the screenshots, and a campaign map AI that did some of the dumbest crap you've ever seen, besieging cities with 3 units. Rome II has been improved post launch a lot but that doesn't undo the embarrassment that is the initial release. If you want to get into Total War, grab Shogun 2 or Medieval 2.

I'm going to add Alundra -> Alundra 2. Alundra was a great spiritual successor to Landstalker and played incredibly well, with challenging dungeons and fun gameplay. Alundra 2 was an abomination.

IAmCrimsonLegion said:
I'm going to add Alundra -> Alundra 2. Alundra was a great spiritual successor to Landstalker and played incredibly well, with challenging dungeons and fun gameplay. Alundra 2 was an abomination.

So fucking true. Loved the first Alundra.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1