By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Non-gaming VR experiences will be "very important" in pushing VR

- Yoshida Shuhei talked to Fortune about VR where he said the following:

Fortune: We’ve seen a lot of Hollywood and other 360-degree video content in the works for VR. What role do you feel nongaming virtual reality will play in the PlayStation VR ecosystem?

YOSP: It’s going to be very important. I’m a huge fan of the 360-degree videos and experiences that those entertainment companies and new startups are producing. They clearly understand the impact and the power of this new medium. People feel like they are in these experiences at the places that the video was shot instead of watching it remotely from within their console at home.

The power of these mediums can be communicated in nongaming form. And actually in many cases it’s better to have these experiences, rather than just games, so that the mass audience will start to notice that, “Wow, this is something that I should be checking out. This is way more than the new form of gaming.”

VR could be the new form of learning, or knowing, or understanding the world better. And hopefully VR will improve some people’s health as well. So a lot of people will start to see this tech show up, whether they are looking for it or not. These nongaming applications will play a huge role to help promote all new VR systems.

http://fortune.com/2015/12/23/sony-exec-believes-in-virtual-reality/

Would you mind Sony investing efforts in non-gaming VR experiences instead of core gaming with VR?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Well fi they expect us to pay 300+ it better do more than gaming.

I think VR has a chance to kill the Box office if it can get movies at the same time. Would be nice to have 3D Blu Ray playback if it already isn't confirmed.

Make it So.

I think VR is the future of computer interaction, and with PlayStation being at the forefront, I expect Sony to put every effort into it. PlayStationVR should not be limited to games and entertainment. Sony needs to make sure they have learning software, social software, historical software, productivity software, the door needs to be open to any and all VR applications.

Sony is in a position with VR to finally put PlayStation at the center of every home. This is their shot at an iOS like ecosystem, and creating the defacto device for home computing. I don't want to see them piss it away. I want game centric devices to take over the computing landscape.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Samsung VR is only $99, and works with 4 smartphones(their first one worked with only one). They'll probably keep improving it to help all people have easy access to VR.

Just make it have some use, or else it will fail. This is like the Wii U's gamepad. Sure, it looks cool, but if the potential isn't fulfilled, then everything will be a bust

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
I think VR is the future of computer interaction, and with PlayStation being at the forefront, I expect Sony to put every effort into it. PlayStationVR should not be limited to games and entertainment. Sony needs to make sure they have learning software, social software, historical software, productivity software, the door needs to be open to any and all VR applications.

Sony is in a position with VR to finally put PlayStation at the center of every home. This is their shot at an iOS like ecosystem, and creating the defacto device for home computing. I don't want to see them piss it away. I want game centric devices to take over the computing landscape.

No offence or anything but I keep seeing you pushing Sony onto everything technology wise, as in you want them to be the complete dominators and rulers of every technoligcal front and tbh that unsettles me just a bit because it feels like 1. corporate worship and 2. The wish for competition to either be controlled, assimilated or destroyed. I would honestly prefer SOny do what they do best for their zone and others for their own areas, I prefer having competition that do good at what they do best rather than "I think Sony should push for everything", the last time Sony did that it resulted in them also having to cut back and trim a lot of fat, fat that the competition has taken in and turned into a positive outcome.

Also I really don't like the idea of SOny just owning all computers and making gaming Sony only, that sounds like the worst nightmare imaginable, almost WWII Germany like even with a sprinkle of illuminati on top (one world one order).

Also: "I want game centric devices to take over the computing landscape.", that stems from your previous admittance to just using your consoles and handheld to doing everything compute wise, we all don't want that and I certainly don't, just because you force yourself to using a console and handheld console to paying your bills and doing whatever work you do shouldn't mean we all have to, we have PC's and macs for that and they won't be going away for decades.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It would be cool if you tube 360 is supported but I don't think it will be that good as a movie viewer. The resolution is rather low for today's movies. You can't simply smear a movie out over 100 degrees fov to use the full 960x1080 per eye. With the warping effect you might be able to use 480x540 to display regular 3D movies, less than dvd quality.

I do think watching F1 racing will be a lot more exciting with 360 degree cameras on board. Although playing it in VR will be even better.

SvennoJ said:
I do think watching F1 racing will be a lot more exciting with 360 degree cameras on board. Although playing it in VR will be even better.

You do not move your head very much when driving F1.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2Uul00ulw

You move it even less when driving a F1 simulator it seems.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCiWf7WEViM

Focus on the head movements. The driver turns his head slightly in the corners while Nigel keeps his head straigt all the time.

EDIT: Found a clip from Monaco where the driver really turns his head.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3vzngkIxsA

Chazore said:
KBG29 said:

No offence or anything but I keep seeing you pushing Sony onto everything technology wise, as in you want them to be the complete dominators and rulers of every technoligcal front and tbh that unsettles me just a bit because it feels like 1. corporate worship and 2. The wish for competition to either be controlled, assimilated or destroyed. I would honestly prefer SOny do what they do best for their zone and others for their own areas, I prefer having competition that do good at what they do best rather than "I think Sony should push for everything", the last time Sony did that it resulted in them also having to cut back and trim a lot of fat, fat that the competition has taken in and turned into a positive outcome.

Also I really don't like the idea of SOny just owning all computers and making gaming Sony only, that sounds like the worst nightmare imaginable, almost WWII Germany like even with a sprinkle of illuminati on top (one world one order).

Also: "I want game centric devices to take over the computing landscape.", that stems from your previous admittance to just using your consoles and handheld to doing everything compute wise, we all don't want that and I certainly don't, just because you force yourself to using a console and handheld console to paying your bills and doing whatever work you do shouldn't mean we all have to, we have PC's and macs for that and they won't be going away for decades.

I know my views on things are a bit different than the norm, and I don't expect anyone to listen or agree, but it is still fun to through my ideas out there just to get them out of my head. I have many other hobbies outside of gaming and electronics, so I am not living or dying by what happens in gaming. I am a very brand centric type of person though. Mixing brands just bothers the crap out of me for some reason. For example, I only buy Dodge Vehicals, I only buy Electrolux appliances, Craftsman Tools, Nike clothing, and of course Sony Electronics. When I go to someones house and see Matag Washer and Dryer, a Frigidaire fridge, and a Kitchenaid stove it just grosses me out. The same goes for a place with a Panasonic TV, a PS4, Yamaha Reciver, and JBL speakers. But, thats just how my mind works. 

In any case, I am fine with whatever happens with Sony and VR. I would preffer to see them take a very open route to the VR market, but if they just focus on games then that works as well. As long as I can stil get what I need done without having to buy another electronic devices then I am good. As I said, I have way to many other hobbies to be wasting money having a PC, a Smartphone, a console, a tablet, ect.. Not that I can't afford it, just doesn't make any logical sense to accumulate that much waste.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I mean, on one end, non gaming VR is a necessity. On the other, Sony seriously expects gamers to drop $300 on a device focused only somewhat on gaming, OR expects casual fans to drop $400 on a predominantly GAME system and then $300 on a game/non-game hybrid experience. It's conflicting messaging, which has sort of been the case since they announced more about it. It's too little too late for this in my eyes, because they're too deep in the PS4 game machine hype - it's no PS2 or reveal-era XBO, where multimedia was a selling point - and they're too late to catch up to the cheaper, more viable standalone options like Samsung's VR* or Google Cardboard.

*Yes, the price on paper is the same between the two. Key difference is the install base of phones vs the PS4, and the viability of using a more mobile VR headset vs a stationary one.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!