By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

Wonktonodi said:
So many posts I thought we had some interesting box office numbers results for the weekend

I feel ya. 

Around the Network
LordLichtenstein said:
Wonktonodi said:
So many posts I thought we had some interesting box office numbers results for the weekend

I feel ya. 

Well with something as popular as this its impossible for the haters to keep away, they latch at any oportunity to degrade anything that has Force Awakens written in the title, wich agravates the majority of ppl who actualy like the movie (this kinda is the reason haters hate, to agravate those who liked it) and than 100 posts happen.

The epitome of the blind hatred was seen today on imdb when someone made a thread saying, and I quote: "the bad word of mouth is getting around, the movie underperformed on its 3 weekend only making 88 million" (wich icidentaly is the highest ever 3rd weekend in history). And than he goes on to say Avatar had much better word of mouth cause it was decreasing slower than FA, completly ignoring the fact that FA opened with numbers 5x higher than Avatar (wich means that if it had the sort of stability Avatar had itd have made more than 1 billion already, wihc is just not possible). 

Lawlight said:

It's not my fault if people can leave their brain at the door when watching a movie. The faults of the weak script is right there for everyone to see but many refuse.

This is kinda funy and ironic, considering the script/novelisation draft has been released to the public and everything the ppl who actualy payed atention to the movie said were the reasons for why things were going down as they went on the movie are explicitly written on the script. So if throngs of ppl did notice Kylo was weekened, was emotional unstable, that Rey had previous hand to hand and pilotting training, that the bowcaster was way deadlier than a normal blaster and 1 million other things and the script comes out confirming all of this it stands to reason that the movie did a perfect job of contextualizing everything and the fault lies with the ppl that insist in saying the movie didnt. The ones who left the brain at the door ironicaly are not the ones who actualy payed atention to the story being told and had all of theyre interpretations confirmed by the script/novelisation drafts.

-snip-

All it takes is a quick google search or attentive viewing to verify all that you've said.

Now, I just want to see another multi-hundred million dollar week!

It's too bad the prequels did a piss poor job of growing the Star Wars brand overseas otherwise I'm sure Avatar would've fallen.

You *must* have likable characters for a movie to play in a big way overseas, they didn't grow up with Star Wars in the same way as Americans did, so "doood, check out teh lightsabre fights!" isn't enough to get to the that higher tier box office, that's just not impressive enough to the global audience alone. 

That's why James Cameron is killing it worldwide ... he makes movies will relatively simple plots, but the main characters are likable, relatable, and themes are very universal.

The Force Awakens is a definite step in the right direction in those aspects, but it wasn't help by the prequels, if anything it was hurt by the prequels, so that's a bit of a bone in its side.

I think there's a fair chance Episode VIII will out gross TFA internationally, but not domestically as a result (provided Ep. VIII is reasonably well done) because VIII will have the benefit of the character/thematic ground work that TFA has laid before it. 

DakonBlackblade said:
LordLichtenstein said:
Wonktonodi said:

I feel ya. 

Well with something as popular as this its impossible for the haters to keep away, they latch at any oportunity to degrade anything that has Force Awakens written in the title, wich agravates the majority of ppl who actualy like the movie (this kinda is the reason haters hate, to agravate those who liked it) and than 100 posts happen.

The epitome of the blind hatred was seen today on imdb when someone made a thread saying, and I quote: "the bad word of mouth is getting around, the movie underperformed on its 3 weekend only making 88 million" (wich icidentaly is the highest ever 3rd weekend in history). And than he goes on to say Avatar had much better word of mouth cause it was decreasing slower than FA, completly ignoring the fact that FA opened with numbers 5x higher than Avatar (wich means that if it had the sort of stability Avatar had itd have made more than 1 billion already, wihc is just not possible). 

script is right there for everyone to see but many refuse.

This is kinda funy and ironic, considering the script/novelisation draft has been released to the public and everything the ppl who actualy payed atention to the movie said were the reasons for why things were going down as they went on the movie are explicitly written on the script. So if throngs of ppl did notice Kylo was weekened, was emotional unstable, that Rey had previous hand to hand and pilotting training, that the bowcaster was way deadlier than a normal blaster and 1 million other things and the script comes out confirming all of this it stands to reason that the movie did a perfect job of contextualizing everything and the fault lies with the ppl that insist in saying the movie didnt. The ones who left the brain at the door ironicaly are not the ones who actualy payed atention to the story being told and had all of theyre interpretations confirmed by the script/novelisation drafts.

Best post ever. Congratulations. Haters gonna hate. Always.

Around the Network

Wow people are still clinging onto Rey beating kylo ren as a negative, really shows how little attention some people paid while watching the film.

Guys, leave this shit out of my thread. This is the 'box office' thread.

UPDATED OP!

LordLichtenstein said:
Guys, leave this shit out of my thread. This is my 'box office' thread.

Fixed.

Insidb said:
LordLichtenstein said:
Guys, leave this shit out of my thread. This is my 'box office' thread.

Fixed.

I actually meant to write "This is The Force Awakens 'box office' thread, and I was sure that I did .. .. This run is stressing me out :p 

(not really)