By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens Box Office Thread: $1,73B

LOL @ Furious 7 in the Top 5 highest grossing films of all time. People in China must be REALLY hard up for entertainment.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Sagemode87 said:
Insidb said:
Sagemode87 said:

In my opinion, the movie is highly overated. It doesn't deserve to pass Avatar. At least Avatar did something groundbreaking  with its engrossing world  and incredible effects. This movie had a crap villain and pretty much recycled A New Hope. Not deserving of the records it's breaking. 

lolz, Ferngully called and it said, "James Cameron recycled my plot and the events of Titanic!"

Is this the only complaint against Avatar?i have a whole laundry list of actual problems with TFA. So what if the premise of Avatar is similar to Pocahontas and Fern Gully, the way Avatar executed the story was unique. Star Wars TFA is basically ANH recycled. Nothing is completely original at this point. 

In my opinion, the movie is highly overated. It doesn't deserve to pass Avatar. At least Avatar did something groundbreaking  with its engrossing world  and incredible effects. This movie had a crap villain and pretty much recycled A New Hope. Not deserving of the records it's breaking. 

Is this your only justification for Avatar's quality? 

Avatar had forgettable characters (That no one I ask can remember the names of.), an "enrossing world" (That you noted was "recycled" from other movies.), a "crap villian" (NO ONE remembers what gruffy, soldier, 80's prototype, McDouchebag, No. 7,998,015's name was, especially since they can't remeber the heroes.), and "incredible effects" (AKA CG that Advent Children surpassed years before and 3D, and 3D is everywhere now.).

By your TFA standards, Avatar was a forgettable, gimmick-bolstered, digitally-behind-the-times, recycled story that can't even lean on it being part of a trilogy or drawing from its own universe. 

Sorry, but I have to call a spade a spade.

NightDragon83 said:
LOL @ Furious 7 in the Top 5 highest grossing films of all time. People in China must be REALLY hard up for entertainment.

Furious 7 did ok in China but most people don't that they actually had a domestic movie that did better in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunt

NightDragon83 said:

The foreign ovie box office rules there are...peculiar, to put it mildly.

Insidb said:
Sagemode87 said:
Insidb said:
Sagemode87 said:

lolz, Ferngully called and it said, "James Cameron recycled my plot and the events of Titanic!"

Is this the only complaint against Avatar?i have a whole laundry list of actual problems with TFA. So what if the premise of Avatar is similar to Pocahontas and Fern Gully, the way Avatar executed the story was unique. Star Wars TFA is basically ANH recycled. Nothing is completely original at this point. 

Is this your only justification for Avatar's quality? 

Avatar had forgettable characters (That no one I ask can remember the names of.), an "enrossing world" (That you noted was "recycled" from other movies.), a "crap villian" (NO ONE remembers what gruffy, soldier, 80's prototype, McDouchebag, No. 7,998,015's name was, especially since they can't remeber the heroes.), and "incredible effects" (AKA CG that Advent Children surpassed years before and 3D, and 3D is everywhere now.).

By your TFA standards, Avatar was a forgettable, gimmick-bolstered, digitally-behind-the-times, recycled story that can't even lean on it being part of a trilogy or drawing from its own universe. 

Sorry, but I have to call a spade a spade.

Possible SPOILERS

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Avatars characters were very memorable to me. The action was memorable and the love story was amazing. Generic Spice saga 7 was forgettable to me. No one would remember Kylo if not for him offing a certain character, and having a costume similar to  Darth Vader. He was a horrible, weak villain. Also Rey overcoming the odds with no training is weak sauce.

Possible SPOILERS 

Around the Network

You don't need a spectacular Star Wars movie to break records.

You just need a competent one with fun/witty characters/dialogue. That's basically all The Force Awakens had to do.

Phantom Menace would've broke a lot of Titanic's records if had been a competent movie, the fact that it still made so much money based on hype says a lot.

None of TFA, Avatar, Jurassic World, or Avengers are spectacular movies IMO. Ditto for Furious 7. So being a masterpiece isn't a pre-requisite for anything. 

Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, The Matrix, the original Jurassic Park are all faaaaar better than TFA, Avatar, Jurassic World, Avengers, Furious 7. 

Star Wars just needed a competent movie as a franchise and it got that. The prequels were basically like watching someone give a speech who rips a loud fart every 2 minutes ... you just could not take them seriously as movies because something stupid would happen every second scene or it would be a boring ass lifeless sequence with people sitting around talking about things like in a commitee. 

Soundwave said:

You just need a competent one with fun/witty characters/dialogue. That's basically all The Force Awakens had to do.

Phantom Menace would've broke a lot of Titanic's records if had been a competent movie, the fact that it still made so much money based on hype says a lot.

None of TFA, Avatar, Jurassic World, or Avengers are spectacular movies IMO. Ditto for Furious 7. So being a masterpiece isn't a pre-requisite for anything. 

I find this statement rather wierd, are masterpiece movies suposed to be the ones pl dont find entertaining but critics say are great and that end up getting showered with lots of Academy Awards ? Cause in my opinion everyone of those movies you listed have gota be good otherwise ppl wouldnt see it and tell theyre friends to go see it, and go see it again themselves, and take theyre kids/girlfriends/boyfriends to see it etc. Considering movies exist to entertain, all of those movies you listed did that better than most of the Academy Awards "masterpieces". 

DakonBlackblade said:
Soundwave said:

I find this statement rather wierd, are masterpiece movies suposed to be the ones pl dont find entertaining but critics say are great and that end up getting showered with lots of Academy Awards ? Cause in my opinion everyone of those movies you listed have gota be good otherwise ppl wouldnt see it and tell theyre friends to go see it, and go see it again themselves, and take theyre kids/girlfriends/boyfriends to see it etc. Considering movies exist to entertain, all of those movies you listed did that better than most of the Academy Awards "masterpieces". 

They're competent films, but they're not spectacular. Avatar might be Cameron's weakest film, but it's still decent. TFA probably isn't as good as any of the OT, but it manages to be better than the prequels and retain several elements of the OT so it works there. Jurassic World was a pale imitation of the first movie, but that's what people wanted (an actual sequel to the first movie). Furious 7 honestly ... is a mediocre/silly film, but the characters are fun and it was a send off for Paul Walker. 

The Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix (the original not the sequels), Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Dark Knight are legit mainstream pop masterpieces. To be honest I think Titanic is probably better than all of TFA, Avatar, Jurassic World, etc. too as a film. 

Soundwave said:

Empire Strikes Back, Terminator 2, The Matrix, the original Jurassic Park are all faaaaar better than TFA, Avatar, Jurassic World, Avengers, Furious 7. 

Star Wars just needed a competent movie as a franchise and it got that. The prequels were basically like watching someone give a speech who rips a loud fart every 2 minutes ... you just could not take them seriously as movies because something stupid would happen every second scene or it would be a boring ass lifeless sequence with people sitting around talking about things like in a commitee. 

The Matrix actually isn't that good either most people hold in high regards since they only watched it once.

Chris Hu said:
Soundwave said:

The Matrix actually isn't that good either most people hold in high regards since they only watched it once.

It had very little hype (wasn't even techincally a summer movie), an R-rating, and wasn't an established franchise, but it I would honestly say is far better than pretty much any of these big box office wannabes. Better story, ground breaking effects, etc. 

I went into the theater wanting to HATE it but I have to admit coming out it blew me away completely. I wasn't around for Star Wars in 1977, but I think for a large generation, the Matrix must have been similar to what it felt like watching Star Wars in '77 ... mind blowing.