By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - GOP candidate Ted Cruz says a person who doesn't pray to God isn't fit to be president

If you don't believe in God how else will you know when to go to war?

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
akhmenhawk said: Exactly my point dear friend. The importance of faith. And beleive it or not, its not important. If anything it hinders rational thought.

And then you came into this thread with history monologue, which is entirely irrelevant.

No, it is important exactly for the reasons I mentioned. You don't know your history or you simply don't care. Either way, you come off as ignorant. For a Christian nation with a Christian heritage faith IS important. It's not that hard of an argument to comprehend. 

oh dear oh dear where to begin.

Faith is important. Sure. But extending that faith to claim that a person who doesnt beleive in god is not fit to be president? That, my friend, is ignorant. 

No amount of history can justify  such a pathetic notion.

reggin_bolas said:
Puppyroach said:

No, it was the first secular nation in the world as far as we know.

On paper but not in practice. The immigrants were Christian practioners of various sects but they were almost all Christian as a matter of fact. The culture was for centuries based on Christian values and beliefs. It was only corroded with the counter-culture in the 60s.

Ofcourse in practice. They left countries that was governed by christiantiy to form a country opposite of that notion. The nation is not defined by the religion of its people, in that case I assume you rather argue that America is a nation of indian religion? You can simply ask yourself: according to the constitution, does it matter if the majority the people in the US are muslim, christian or atheist? If the answer is "no" than the nation, in pactice, is non-religious.

reggin_bolas said:
The United States is a Christian nation and it has always been a Christian nation. His words are true. Regardless of the spirit of the constitution, the land was built by Christian settlers. Not muslims, not atheists, etc.

Getting really tired of quoting this to profoundly ignorant Christians...

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." - John Adams

Illusion said:
RadiantDanceMachine said:

What? A woman drowned her kids in a bathtub because she heard the voice of god which told her to do it. Religious belief and conviction can indeed and does cause good people to do bad things.

On the other hand, not believing nonsense cannot follow suit.

Obviously, there are people who are radical or have psychological conditions.  Authentic Christianity would never allow for this as it goes against the 5th commandment.  Most Christians do an insane amount to help the poor and vulnerable and I would even say moreso than any other group in society.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/No_True_Scotsman

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
The United States is a Christian nation and it has always been a Christian nation. His words are true. Regardless of the spirit of the constitution, the land was built by Christian settlers. Not muslims, not atheists, etc.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." - John Adams

Doesn't matter what he says. In practice it is and always has been in virtually every sphere of American life including politics. Politicians have traditionally been selected based on their Christian virtues, so nothing is shocking about the OP. 

Call me ignorant when your hallow words don't reflect reality in any way. 

reggin_bolas said:

Doesn't matter what he says. In practice it is and always has been in virtually every sphere of American life including politics. Politicians have traditionally been selected based on their Christian virtues, so nothing is shocking about the OP. 

But in modern times such  a tradition is fundamentally both irrational and irelevant. 

If all your trying to do is justify why a particular claim is not suprising to hear, then so be it. Just dont confuse that with the credibility of said statement.

akhmenhawk said:
reggin_bolas said:

But in modern times such  a tradition is fundamentally both irrational and irelevant. 

If all your trying to do is justify why a particular claim is not suprising to hear, then so be it. Just dont confuse that with the credibility of said statement.

Why is it irrelevant and irrational? You have adduced nothing of substance to support your progressive liberal claim. It reeks of atheist bias.

reggin_bolas said:
akhmenhawk said:  But in modern times such  a tradition is fundamentally both irrational and irelevant. 

Why is it irrelevant and irrational? You have adduced nothing of substance to support your progressive liberal claim. It reeks of atheist bias.

"God Bless America and those still faithful to God. " [then accuses bias] :')  . First of all i'm an economically conservative centrist at best. So stop with that nonsense.

Second of all, if you reject the notion of a President capable of being of any faith or lack thereof, and then fail to understand why that's irrational, then may God help you.

reggin_bolas said:
akhmenhawk said:
reggin_bolas said:

I like how you throw around the "progressive liberal" label (whatever that's supposed to mean). What if I labelled everybody who's pushing for America to be the "Christian" equivalent of a Caliphate a Nazi because Nazism is a form of collectivist "Christianity"? How would it feel to be mislabelled just because the views you are expressing happen to be shared by another group of people? Maybe you should drop the reductive "us versus them" mentality and stop making strawmen.