By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it safe to say that Nintendo will never lose a handheld battle?

Tagged games:

Is Nintendo unbeatable at handhelds?

Of course 91 42.92%

Yes 67 31.60%

No 54 25.47%

Total:212
Kagerow said:
Ruler said:
Where is the 3DS so much ahead to the vita? its 5 to 1, sega game gear was 8 to 1 behind to the gameboy or more.

Sony could win the Handheld market if they would release a PlayStation Phone, either a new device or a vita version

Not to be nitpicky, but they did. It perform significantly worse than Vita.

Reason why Playstation Phone can never succeed is because market that Sony would want to sell such thing doesn't care if that phone is PS or not. Game is secondary bonus, not a primary goal. And phone market works significantly different from Console market.

Said 'Playstation Phone' will have to include traditional game control, that would make phone extremely thick and at least twice as heavier. Also, it will increase price tag, Game launching for that phone won't be too different from Vita, so it won't attract any 'casual' crowd. And for people who already have a phone, they will have to either purchase unlocked phone at price of 500$+  or set up a new contract.

Considering they will have to keep hardware spec at similar level for around 2~3 years, sales will drop drastically after first year.

That is all assuming they can take the losses from making such product in the first place, AND someone won't just create the emulator for it. Since not using Android will ailenate even more possible buyers, as environment for app would be nonexistent.

That said, getting jailbroken is a given, since it uses Android, which uses Linux frame, they can't set up a low level hack protection. Chance that Google or Apple is going to bend themselves over for Sony is nonexistent.

There is good reason why Sony Ericsson ditched the Idea immediately. Also why Nintendo doesn't seems to bother.

At least, that is how I see it.

They ditched the idea because it wasnt playstation but android OS, there is internal devide in Sony it has nothing to do with success or anything like this why we havent a PSPhone. The Xperia Play was fine from the size and quality, just add in analogsticks, a cart slot for physical vita games and vita OS with new apps like phone calling obviously.

It would sell tons of units in asia and japan alone. The reality is gaming is bigger than all the other crap, people would like to have as less devices as posible but they still like physical buttons hence why console gaming is sucessfull. And most of the money with handheld gaming would come from royalties rather than hardware itself, sony could offer a PSPhone without making any profit and still make money with game sales.

The vita is stronger than almost every smartphone model there is because the hardware is uttilized, its not outdated at all

Around the Network

Nobody else will release handhelds from now in, so yeah, pretty safe.

Yes.

The PS5 Exists. 

I don't believe the handheld market is a lost cause, the 3DS will still manage to reach 60m units even if it had a very bad start, it is a very dated hardware, it wasn't very innovative to begin with (it's basically a DS with 3D and an analog stick), after 2013 1st party support for the console has been quite weak.
I think Nintendo should go back to make a more immediate a simple design, also they should use a modular architecture to upgrade their consoles more frequently.

Ruler said:
Kagerow said:
Ruler said:

They ditched the idea because it wasnt playstation but android OS, there is internal devide in Sony it has nothing to do with success or anything like this why we havent a PSPhone. The Xperia Play was fine from the size and quality, just add in analogsticks, a cart slot for physical vita games and vita OS with new apps like phone calling obviously.

It would sell tons of units in asia and japan alone. The reality is gaming is bigger than all the other crap, people would like to have as less devices as posible but they still like physical buttons hence why console gaming is sucessfull. And most of the money with handheld gaming would come from royalties rather than hardware itself, sony could offer a PSPhone without making any profit and still make money with game sales.

The vita is stronger than almost every smartphone model there is because the hardware is uttilized, its not outdated at all

If that is true, PSPhone is never happening. They are not going to spend nonexistent billion dollars to create new OS, infrastructure, and developer and user environment for Playstation Phone.

And if gaming is bigger than all other craps, you have defeated your own argument for creating Playstation Phone. If so, Vita must be doing fantastic.

You do realize most individual doesn't buy enough games to cover the 200$+ losses?

It isn't outdated as a console. It is outdated as a phone.

Around the Network

It depends on if you count iPhones as handheld gaming devices lol

I guess so, but the handheld market is definitely shrinking quickly

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Will they ever lose to another dedicated handheld? IMO no. Never.

The PSP was the only ever legitimate rival it had but even that wasn't competing for the same audience outside of Japan. It was targeting an older audience that were looking for more mature experiences

That target audience moved onto mobile and console only gaming pretty quickly. The Nintendo target audience was next.

So Sonys handheld market is extinct and Nintendos is heading there at a slower pace. So nobody will ever outsell Nintendo with a dedicated device.

However they've already lost to another handheld device. And as we know that's android and iOS. Nintendo needed to invent the iPhone instead of apple to stay relevant here as a dedicated device maker but they didn't.

Nuvendil said:

But are those userbases (core gamers/traditional gamers vs mobile gamers) in the same demographic subset?  Or rather should they be considered as part of that?  I think not.  When the behaviors, desires, and goals of one group differ so radically from another, grouping them together into a subheading of the "general gaming market" or some such is not useful.  What I am saying I suppose is have we lost to them or are they a totally separate, neighboring market that has only recently developed around new technology and only ever used traditional devises for lack of better means to satisfy their needs/wants.  I go with the latter.  And I think most companies also recognize this.

Also, while the mobile market makes it possible to make a lot by spending a little, it is also a massive gamble.  Popularity is so unpredictable and trends move so fast it's hard to find success.  You could produce a game and make oodles of cash.  Or you could produce a game that is actually better than most of the competition only to have it rot in irrelevancy for no quantifiable reason than bad luck.  And the mobile platform limits you because of how the race to the bottom price has driven the perceived value of all mobile games through the floor, limiting what you can charge for any given game.  Basically, you have to bank on freemium revenue (big risk) or bank on selling massive quantities at very low prices (again a big risk).

Basically, all of those two paragraphs to simply say I don't think this arbitrary "mobile vs ttradition" cage match the media plays up is really an accurate reflection of the realities of either market.

And I would totally agree because at the end of the day I know there are different markets out there to appeal to different demo's and the like which is why I feel handhelds won't exactly be going away for an extended peroid of time, I mean if handhelds died off completely then that sizeable group that are dedicated to handhelds aren't entirely likely to just switch to mobile gaming which is also why another market or company will likely take advantage of such a situation to snatch them up or pander to.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

To a traditional handheld? Probably not.

But the fact is today more people people portable video games on phones daily than any kind of device from Nintendo/Sony/etc. so that market isn't what it used to be.