By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Force Awakens sucks! *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Also Rey did everything by herself. Luke had help all the way especially in the beginning. Rey saved Finn a trained storm trooper in the beginning and end, flew the mellinium falcon with ease and knew how to fix the ship, used force powers with no training and escaped by herself and defeated Kylo Rin with barely breaking a sweat. Any arguments defending these facts and how forced the character was is assinine.Luke as a character had progression and so did Anakin which is my point. Rey has zero progression and already super saiyan level lol.

Around the Network
Cruzer said:

Also Rey did everything by herself. Luke had help all the way especially in the beginning. Rey saved Finn a trained storm trooper in the beginning and end, flew the mellinium falcon with ease and knew how to fix the ship, used force powers with no training and escaped by herself and defeated Kylo Rin with barely breaking a sweat. Any arguments defending these facts and how forced the character was is assinine.Luke as a character had progression and so did Anakin which is my point. Rey has zero progression and already super saiyan level lol.

It makes sense to me. Rey was abandoned when she was a little girl, in a desert and hostile planet, and it had to survive, alone for years. It's off-screen, but she is obviously a strong and "super-saiyan" :P woman because she was capable of survive on her own. I don't agree at all that she hasn't got a proper training. Yeah, she didn't have it in the usual way, master-padawan, but she being force-sensitive, combined with her fighting skills against, I guess, other pirates and scavengers, and having to survive on her own for years makes up for a proper, but not traditional training. That's what I think people are missing because it's off-screen. 

I might add that, if you think about it, Luke was only a farmer, he didn't seem to have proper fighting skills (at least it's not stated on the film), and he managed to defeat Darth Vader, a Jedi which is suposed to be the most powerful ever, with like 30, 40 years of training, in barely 3 years or so. Kylo Ren is obviously not half as powerful as Darth Vader was. 

Cruzer said:

Luke had experience flying a space craft which is why he was able to succeed. He was planning to leave and join the resistance which is Uncle tried to keep him from. Luke was the prophecy which explained his success and Anakin was the prophecy that destroyed the Republic. Everything was explained unlike Rey and how she so happened to use the force with zero understanding. Enough bs excuses about how she was able to beat Kylo. "Living a life where she had to fight for a living"? lol she was a scavenger, not a warrior. Give it a rest already. Her character was "forced" and nothing more.

We LITERALLY SEE Rey fighting off a bunch of other scavengers with a stick she is ALWAYS carrying around with her to defend BB-8. And she WINS. This clearly isn't her first time fighting people, and she clearly knows how to handle a weapon. And, for the record, she did actually have some trouble using the blaster Han gave her, because she's been running around fighting with a stick her whole life.

We never see Luke pilot a ship before, nor is it ever said that he's piloted a ship into SPACE before, as far as I know.

And what about Anakin? Here he have a ten-year-old who, at best, has only piloted pod racers before. And then he uses a star fighter to accidentally blow up a god damned command ship.

When it comes to people with a strong connection to the force, they tend to be able to do stuff like this without much training or understanding of the force. Anakin didn't know he was using the force when he was doing things like piloting the pod racer. He just....did it.

What training and understanding does is sharpen one's skills and ability to use the force, but people who are especially strong with the force (like Anakin, Luke, and Rey) tend to have a lot of natural talent as well.

Luke was planning to go to the ACADEMY, by the way. Where he was going to be TRAINED by the rebellion. That's what academies do. But he didn't need training. He hopped right into an X-Wing, flew right up to the death star, ande a shot that a trained and experienced pilot (Red Leader) couldn't.

I'm not saying Rey is a warrior, but she HAS been fighting her entire life, in order to survive in a harsh, violent environment filled with dangerous people. Which is why she's always carrying that stick around. She's clearly not bad at it, as shown in a scene where she defeats several of them. Kylo Ren, wounded by a shot from a blaster, is so weak that an ex-Storm Trooper is able to hold his own against him with a light saber he barely knows how to use. He then goes on to kick Rey's ass, nearly defeats her, annd it is only after using her own "use the force" moment (something she has been learning about throughout the movie, and which she was using as early as the Millenium Falcon escape scene) that she turns the tables and defeats a severely wounded Kylo Ren.

Rey's skills are a warrior are more firmly established and shown than Luke's skills as a pilot.

In the context of Star Wars, where we have amazing people doing amazing things with very little training all the time because of THE FORCE, I think Rey's skills were pretty well established, both in the movie and in the universe. If anyone's skills come out of nowhere, it's Finn's, who apparently went from sanitation worker to guy who can hold his own in a lightsaber duel, but I would chock that up to Storm Trooper training.

Cruzer said:

Rey and Luke lived two completely different lives. Luke had friends and family to rely on. Rey has had to fend for herself since she was a kid. If she weren't self relian, she wouldn't have survived.

Finn helped Rey in the turret of the Millenium Falcon. Finn and Rey kept Rey from talking into a trap when she was going for a tie fighter to escape in. Finn literally saved Rey from Kylo Renn first.

Rey knew how to fly and fix the ship because she spent a good deal of her time AROUND those ships, being taught how to fix them up. She says this in the movie. Its true she's never flown a Millenium Falcon before, but again....Anakin and the Naboo fighter, Luke and the X-Wing. Luke, you might be able to make an argument with the T-16 comment (again, WHATEVER that was meant to be) by Anakin? What's his excuse?

And she was quite LITERALLY sweating during that fight with Kylo Ren. Quite literally. It was a hard fight for her, and again, the dude was WOUNDED. If Kylo Ren had even half the skill Anakin had with a lightsaber in Revenge of the Sith, and if he weren't wounded, Finn would have been dead in seconds. Finn held his own. You can't just ignore that. The fact that he was shot was a very deliberate decision to make Rey's victory even possible.

I might be tempted to give you an inch on the force suggestion power, but again, this isn't really any worse than how Luke took down the Death Star. It's not like she got it on her first try, either. She was already becoming increasingly aware of the force and what it was. She was already quite attuned with it. There's a reason why she had visions when she touched Luke's old lightsaber. There was her discussion with the old alien lady, who told her about the nature of the force in much the same way Obiwan told Luke. But if you want to nitpick, this is at least the place to do it, I think.

Rey is clearly strong with the force. Stronger than a Skywalker. She probably IS a Skywalker. I'm not going to repeat myself again, but a strong force user being very good with the force and having natural talents and not requiring much training is nothing new. Luke Skywalker spent hours with Obiwan, days with Yoda, and was able to defeat a healthy, strong, DARTH VADER in Jedi.

Basically every complaint you made can be made about the old movies.

What about Alderaan? We never learned much about that planet either.

I LOVE ICELAND!

after seeing the movie last night, I can safely say I have no idea why people are up in arms about this movie. I thought it was awesome.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
after seeing the movie last night, I can safely say I have no idea why people are up in arms about this movie. I thought it was awesome.

It's the SW community. It was going to be hated from it's very conception 

theprof00 said:

I think its because people are looking at the older ones with nostalgia goggles. I ran through all six movies over the last few weeks. I don't remember every little word and detail, but I think people are forgetting how much of a plot contrivance the force can be.

nuckles87 said:
theprof00 said:

I think its because people are looking at the older ones with nostalgia goggles. I ran through all six movies over the last few weeks. I don't remember every little word and detail, but I think people are forgetting how much of a plot contrivance the force can be.

yeah, one thing I loved though was the pacing. I remember how the prequels were like 3 hours long...so exhausting

But honestly man, the empire/order whatever has got to stop making planet/moon sized bases. They barely even get any use out of them.

StarOcean said:
theprof00 said:

It's the SW community. It was going to be hated from it's very conception 

The people who dress up as movie characters, go to see the movies several times, buy the merchandise, etc were going to hate it regardless? And the people who will see it once, laugh and leave were going to love it? That's how I interpret your post.

I think I'm a SW fan and my initial plan was to walk in, overlook flaws, and love it. When I saw the critic scores, I was excited. When I saw the movie, I felt differently. I wasn't going for a movie that would change my life. I came for a fun movie that would make me smile and maybe make me reflect afterwards. Instead, I left with a feeling of "meh" combined with " that didn't make sense " and honestly, I felt a bit saddened. 

The movie is not perfect and people here have stated their issues, sometimes in great detail but I keep seeing " Star Wars fans are too picky " or "You guys just don't get it". So dismissive of opposing opinions. Some things bother some people more than others.