By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ranking Star Wars: Where is VII?

Cruzer said:
Darashiva said:
Still a bit unsure where The Force Awakens lands. It was better than any of the prequels, but how it compares with the original trilogy is a different story.

1. Empire Strikes Back. Still the best in the series, strongest story, best character progression and many of the most memorable scenes.
2.-4. A New Hope, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens. Similar in many ways, very strong in most aspects, but each has their own, different weaknesses.
5. Revenge of the Sith. Best of the prequels. Still contains a lot of what made the first two bad, but has much more good in it compared to Phantom and Clones.
6. Attack of the Clones. A few good things, but also contains easily the worst acting and dialogue in the entire series. The only ones who come out ahead in this movie is Palpatine and Obi-Wan, and only because of the talent of the actors in question.
7. Phantom Menace. Just mediocre all around. The soundtrack, the final fight with Darth Maul, and a few nice scenes are the only good things in it. Clones has worse stuff in it, but it also has some better staff, so it just barely comes out better than Phantom.

I have to disagree here. It is better quality wise and as a product of course, vut as a Star Wars movie it does not compare. The opening and closing sequence s in Phantom Menace are better than any part of TFA, including the "forced" scene of someone's obvious death. TPM also had better adventure, which TFA failed at.

Matter of preference really. Only Sith is in anyway a decent movie out of the prequels in my opinion. Phantom and Clones have a few nice moments, but that's it. As movies, they just don't hold up for me.

Around the Network

1. Empire - 10/10
2. Hope - 9/10
T3. Jedi - 7/10
T3. Force - 7/10
5. Sith - 3/10
6. Menace - 2/10
7. Clones - 1/10

My order (best to worst)...

IV
III
VI
I
VII
V
II

It ranks forth for me. The original trilogy is still my favorite, but this was solid so far, far superior to the prequels.

Empire, Hope, Jedi, Awakens, Sith, Clones, Phantom.

I find the series hard to rank overall, mostly because I first saw the prequels when I was a 10 to 15 so I was the target audience for all the Jar Jar stuff. Yes he bugs me now but I didn't mind him when I first saw them. Revenge of the Sith was my favourite though.

With the originals, I could never watch them beginning to end when I was younger so I've lost all sense of objectivity. When I've tried to watch them since, I just feel that they're overrated.

With episode 7, I get why fans of the originals will appreciate it more but it didn't do it for me.

Around the Network

1. A New Hope
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Phantom Menace
4. Force Awakens
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Attack of the Clones

I'm watching all the movies right now, and I've only seen TFA once so it's hard to say for sure. Take in mind I'm a 90's baby so I didn't get to see the old ones when the technological achievements but later when they almost looked like scfi channel movies. My list probably looks like this
A new hope
Empire/revenge on the sith
Return of the Jedi
Clones
Menace.
Force awakens is atleast on revenge of the sith/empire level but it's hard to say without seeing it 3-4 times.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Soundwave said:

I honestly think it's better just to treat the prequels as their own separate thing.

They're just so radically different in tone/acting/staging.

The OT + Force Awakens are all clearly the same style of filmmaking and feel like a cohesive unit of films.

The prequels just feel completely different, like seeing your friend after they've had a lobotomy and no longer have any of the same personality.

If Episode VIII and IX are also more in the vein of Force Awakens ... then the prequels really are going to be the odd three out because they're not much like the other films at all in that case. 

BB-8 has more personality in the prequels than any of the human characters and the CG characters with "personality" are way overdone and veer into being cartoons. 

Say what u will about the prequels but I find it funny when people say the acting is any worse than the originals. Take Luke for example the scene where Vader tells him he is his father is supposed to be this emotional scene but Luke's acting is so bad it's hard to immerse yourself into it.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

I'm currently rewatching them all so I can't judge until I do. I've watched the first 2 originals and the new one so far.
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Force Awakens
3. A new hope

I'm actually very surprised how much the empire striked back improved over a new hope. Because it went from basic cheesy 70's to a film I can actually really enjoy. which has made me very excited to see the return of the jedi!

I actually kinda got iritated while watching TFA... i could NOT get the hype let alone rate the movie higher than 3-3.5/5 stars.

The whole rey becoming a master without any training fucking disgusts me. Literally 24 hours since learning of her force sensitivity and she can read minds, control minds, use the saber, etc.

The wannabe death star planet being able to blast an entirely different star system at once by consuming a star... wtf.

Fin is supposed to be a brainwashed, indoctrinated from birth storm trooper, but his first battle and he gets ptsd?

Leiea's acting was fucking cringe worthy....

I just watched TPM again... and honestly its tied for both sucking.