By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rejoice, its not Episode 1 again, Star Wars is great (no spoilers inside)

DakonBlackblade said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

So I just came back from watching the movie, and suffice to say that deus ex machinas are rampant and in your face, not even the force can explain the stupidity that was on show, people with no skills in certain things all of a sudden becoming proficient as if they downloaded that skill set out of thin air, couple that with poor character development for main characters and what essentially amounts to a retelling of the original movies (episodes 4,5,6) but crappier cuz of time constraints....and that makes for a terrible movie, what saved it a little for me and moved it into the mediocre level was the nostalgia of old characters, some genuine funny moments, action sequences and visual effects.

This movie really feels like a set up movie, getting the shit outta the way to make room for the real movies which are episodes 8 and 9...that's assuming they themselves won't be a terrible movies.

Also, WTF is up with that 50/50 gender representation in almost every scene, it feels forced, like if their was some quota or agenda that needed to be met by Disney, and this occurs on both sides. I'd assume the the First order, an Authoritarian regime, wouldn't have that, cuz you know their evil and all, but no they like the rebellion seem to be very progressive....also I laughed at the female storm trooper, did they seriously have to make her so shiny, also why bother with her since she like all storm trooper are faceless cannon fodder for the rebellion forces, it's funny though cuz they still can't aim for shit.

Another thing that stood out is how diverse the rebellion forces were, and I'm just talking about the humans having almost every race represented and yet the First Order were just white, except for that one black storm trooper whom we get to see his face in the trailers. It's odd to me that the First Oder, being evil, has 50/50 gender representation and yet doesn't have the same diversity in races, kinda racist if you ask me.

Based on the two previous points, it felt like Star wars 7 had a theme of political correctness and identity politics, yet the original was simply an allegory for WWII, it was never about gender/race or Identity politics, it was about freedom vs totalitarianism...nothing else mattered, but I guess it's 2015 so things need to change cuz reasons!

Honestly I don't understand why this movie was made the way it was, the franchise is very popular among men and woman of different ages, yet Disney felt compelled to dumb down the story, essentially retelling episodes 4,5,6 with a female lead to what? attract more woman? I mean if true that's pretty sexist to think woman don't and have never watched a star wars films and to then dumb it down for them, geez if I was a female fan of the originals I'd be super annoyed at Disney belittling me with episode 7.

I know some well probably think I'm sexist or whatever, but even if they made this same movie with a male lead, removed the 50/50 gender representation, it would STILL be a terrible movie, because the story sucks, like I said a crappier retelling of the episodes 4,5,6 just with a new lead. Out of the rich star wars universe, with so many character both male and female, with so many sagas that span the ages, out of all of that they've could have chosen to base their new trilogy off, they choose this and then proceeded to ham fist through it the way they did.

For those that do not agree with my points, all I ask is that you have an open mind, put your self in the position of devils advocate and try see it from the opposite perspective without nostalgia, and I think you may just agree with my points, if not then you might be too far down the rabbit whole to see things outside your own biases, but you are entitled to your thoughts and opinions just as I am to mine.

In case you haven't seen the movie, and have come here to see if people are excited, I'd say temper your expectations, in fact think about jar jar binks to lower your moral before seeing the movie, you may just appreciate episode 7 more than I did, otherwise you could go hyped and be disappointed as hell like I was.

In any case this was my impressions on this movie, I don't think I've spoiled anything story related since I've tried to be as vague as possible but still getting my point across.

Lol what movie did you watch*1 I talked to literaly hundreds of ppl who watched the movie and everyone liked it, even the ones who werent around when the originals came out (liek me). It was very well put together.The political,race,gender thing isnt a thing*2, this is in the mind of prejudiced ppl who think movies shouldnt have female in them or an African American*3 stormtrooper, both Boyega and Ridleys acting are phenomenal*4, Ridleys is insane considering the girl had never made a movie in her life, she nailled the part. And the First Order has what 3 ppl not wearing a helmet ?*5 One of wich is an allien so what is your point, those stormtroopers could be anything. The movie isnt perfect*6 but none of the movies in the series ever were, there are flaws that are far outweighted by the things the movie do right. All your post sounded like was someone complaining that they dont like women in important roles on movies*7 (kinda liek the ppl who complained that eve frey existed or that Horizon 0 Dawn has a female main character), Id maybe give you some regard if Daisy Ridley handt owned her part so freaking well, I could care less about someones color or gender if they deliver the part, and everyone on Force Awakens deliver.*8

Youre talking about being devils advocate, why instead of doing that you dont try to remove the polictical lenses youre watching this with and youll see ppls races and gender in the movie dont matter*9 cause theyre all doing a great job, regardless of what it is.

The following will be kinda spoilery, not too much but if you didnt watch the movie maybe you shouldnt read it.

Ye ppl do stuf they werent suposed to do without training, them you learn the person is like one of the strongest force sensitive creature to ever walk the galaxy*10 (that end battle and the scene prior to that on the base makes that very clear, the person is scary strong with the Force) and it makes perfect sense. Know who else used to do unexplainable things super easy without realy learning them ? Luke Skywalker and Anakin Skywalker, if you watched the Clone wars animation you know Anaking was basicaly good in everything he tried to do, he could fly, shoot, duel, pod race etc.*11

1. Same as everyone, do keep in mind that their will be people like me who won't like the movie, it's just how things are.

2. It is a thing, there is a culture war happening from games, movies, to the work force and the familiy system, just because your oblivious to it doesn't mean it's not happening, I'd suggest you open your eyes, have an open mind, and educate your self on what's going on cuz if you 're a straight white male, then you are a target of this culture war.

3. Lol, did you miss the part when I said "...but even if they made this same movie with a male lead, removed the 50/50 gender representation, it would STILL be a terrible movie, because the story sucks, like I said a crappier retelling of the episodes 4,5,6 just with a new lead." So no it has nothing to do with females or blacks, I've enjoyed many movies with female and black leads, like Hunger games and django unchained, because they in my opinion have good story lines. I am not one of these people that think that just having female and black leads automatically make movies good, a good story with with good actors make for a good movie irrespective of gender and race, to think otherwise is just sexist and racist.

4. I agree, I never said otherwise nor did I question their acting. it's odd that you bring this point up.

5. That is my point, 3 people 3 races represented, 1 black, 1 asian, and 1 white female....I mean if the rebellion can have equal representation with gender and race, then why partially do it with the First Oder, I mean they already had equal female representation so why not race? also it's pretty racist to think that blacks and asians can't be evil, just remenber that Star wars spans the universe which have many different species so human race and gender are actually trivial, but if they want to focus on it, then do it for all sides or don't do it at all.

6. that's the understatement of the year, so yeah we're in agreement.

7. So critiquing a movie with a female lead now amounts to hating woman? well that's sexist in it's own right, as if female leads in movies can't be criticised. But No I was not criticising the female lead for being female, like I mention in point 3, I was criticising the story, the poor character development, and the deus ex machinas.

8.  I agree, but again, I never criticised their performance,  just read point 7.

9. Oh trust me, I did, I tried too, I tried so hard but things were just so blantant and in your face that it kept distracing me, I mean the infusion of political correctness is one thing, but when you add a poor story with poor character development, no amount of action and CG effects can make this a good movie, but again this is just my opinion.

Spoilers for the last 2 points (read at your own peril)

10. And here you prove my point about deus ex machina. How can anyone relate to the lead when they are just so over powered but are portrayed as the underdog. The thing that made luke a good character was the fact that he was weak and an underdog, you saw him develop through the movies, you saw him master the force, master the saber, and have failures like losing his hand, it was the trial and tribulations that made Luke a strong character, The moviegoers would cheer Luke on despite knowing that the good guy will always win. All this was lacking from Rey, she just matrixed the fuck out of this and downloaded the skills from the net enabling her know what the force was to mastering it in mere hours despite at the begining barely knowing what the force was and having no training, to then also downaloding the saber fghting skills she used to defeat kylo without even geting a battle scrar let alone a scratch, even Fin got hurt during the kylo battle.

11. Nope I haven't watched the animated series nor the prequels, I went into epsidoe 7 having only watched episode 4,5,6, and from this perspective episode 7 is by far the weakest. So things like Fin turning good cuz reasons, no character background for such a pivital point in the chracters life, Poe dameron being the best piolet who saves fin only to appear dead for the majority of the movie only to make shitty unexplained come back with no sotry of what the hell he was doing all this time, Kylo turning to the darkside cuz reasons, again no characer background, Kylo who is partially trained in both the force and saber combat can't easily take down Fin who has no training only to get defeated by Rey who also has had no training in the force or saber combat but is the most power force user cuz reasons. These things make for poor character development, then add a crappy retelling of the original movies and you get a terrible movie, why the retread? the universe is so rich, so why not make something within the universe that is unique and would of made better use of Rey, Fin, Poe dameron? The way I see it episodes 8, and 9 will just rehash the battle with a new Vader and a new palpatine. If your a star wars fan this has to disapoint you on some level, but hey these are just my opinions so I'll leave it at that.

Around the Network
jake_the_fake1 said:

So I just came back from watching the movie, and suffice to say that deus ex machinas are rampant and in your face, not even the force can explain the stupidity that was on show, people with no skills in certain things all of a sudden becoming proficient as if they downloaded that skill set out of thin air, couple that with poor character development for main characters and what essentially amounts to a retelling of the original movies (episodes 4,5,6) but crappier cuz of time constraints....and that makes for a terrible movie, what saved it a little for me and moved it into the mediocre level was the nostalgia of old characters, some genuine funny moments, action sequences and visual effects.

So, without the PC part, that sounds exactly like what Abrams did to Star Trek, which was still loved by many people. (I thought it was an ok action movie, not really star trek) Curious what he's going to pick for episode 8, can't retell the prequels next.

SvennoJ said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

So, without the PC part, that sounds exactly like what Abrams did to Star Trek, which was still loved by many people. (I thought it was an ok action movie, not really star trek) Curious what he's going to pick for episode 8, can't retell the prequels next.

He isn't doing episode 8. I believe the guy who did Looper is doing 8

StarOcean said:
SvennoJ said:

He isn't doing episode 8. I believe the guy who did Looper is doing 8

Its the guy who did Looper on Ep 8 and the guy who did Jurasic World on 9. 

Star Wars Episode VII is not great, it´s AMAZING!!!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

looks like JJ will only do episode 7, Rian Johnson will be directing episode 8 and 9, he Directed Looper, I like that movie so maybe in terms of directing episode 8 will be ok, but it's the story I'm worried about.

jake_the_fake1 said:

4. .

Your points 10 and 11 is all spoilers, delete it plz or add tags warnings and whatnot, I asked to keep this spoiler free on the OP. about point 11, ye some things are too coincidental in the movie, but again The Force is a thing and it does conect everyone and things happen because of it, random shit has been happening in SW universe since its inseption due to the Force trying ot keep itself balanced.

1. You arent disliking the movie youre hating for political reasons mostly, they way you describe your experience with it feels like you went to the theaters wanting to hate it ever since you saw the poster and there was 1 woman 1 black dude and 1 white dude in it (and chewbaka for added "diversity").

2 Ye there is but what does that have to do with anything ? Rey happened to be a woman cause she got 2 X chromososmes when she was an embryo, theres like 0 political underlines to her, shes a woman and shes in the story, her character works so end of discussion.

3 The story is familiar but its well told, and there are quite a few differences. JJ played it safe, the movie needed to work to get things going, it worked, 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and overwhelmingly posite fan reaction shows just how much it worked. The fact that you cant see 1 positive point on the movie shows you had a pre disposition to dislike it, even Twilight have some good points, its more than obvious that this movie does as well.

4 It is a point worth mentioning cause youre hating on the so called "50/50" representation for no reason, so I reminded you the actors did theyre job brilliantly.

5 Theoretically the 1st order has all kinds of ppl as they recruit by kidnapping younglings and brainwashing them (like they did to Finn) and from the 5 1st order guys with no helmet, counting Finn, 1 is black, 1 is a woman, 1 is an allien and 2 are white males so your point makes no sense.

6 The whole saga has flaws, even the books do, but its clear youre exagerating.

7 Youre hatting on everything, theres a clear difference between critique and hate for the sake of hate. Your post does make one think you watched the movie with a pre concieved notion you were gona dislike it for whatever reason, the  "50/50"representation being one of those reasons most likely.

8 Glad you agree theyre good actors

9 Theres no infusion of nothing, whats wrong with the dude being black and Rey being a woman, seriously whats the difference, there are various races and genders on the world, is it that impossible to acept Rey and Finn just happened to be whoever they are ? Yoda is a green pupet and ppl didnt give him a hard time... Again the sotry is wellcrafted, has some flaws, but it is, and the movie has mostly pratical effects (its noticeable), theres very little CG on it considering todays standards.

10 Thats how the Force works, you say you didnt watch the prequels and a bunch of other stuf so dont act like you know the lore. Anakin Skywalker was able to win a Pod Racing event at the age of 9, even tough he wasnt an acomplished pod racer, he was regarded as one the best marksman in the jedi order, amongst the best lightsaber duelist and pretty much just did anything he tried to do well, he could also understand any language. When someone is strong with the force, shit happens, it happened to Luke too but Luke was never this strong, Anakin was more powerfull than him,Vader was super powerfull and he only had a fraction of Anakins full potential cause of all the limbs he lost and the injurys he sustained in his duel with Obi Wan on Episode 3. The person you mention doesnt realy know what he is doing but he feels the conection with the force and just go with it, outbursts of excelency happens due to The Force as well, an example again from the prequels you didnt watch is Kenobi killing Darth Maul, a Sith so powerfull he defeated Qui Gon Jinn, Kenobis master and a jedi regarded as one of the best lightsaber duelists ever to live, Kenobi was a padawan back there and he managed to best Maul after seing his master die because he was that strong with Force, in a moment of need/desperation he managed to acess this power of his without realy knowing what he was doing, sounds familiar ? Its made very clear this person you talk about is realy powerfull (in very clever and subtle ways), about the person being OP I doubt it, theres always powerfull enemys on the universe that could match this person and Eps 8 and 9 havent happened yet.

I remember back when Episode 1 came out and people said the same thing. Only took a few months for that to turn on its head :P

Wagram said:
I remember back when Episode 1 came out and people said the same thing. Only took a few months for that to turn on its head :P

Except Episode 1 had quite a few bad reviews from the get go and "ppl said the same thing" is an exageration as there was quite a few ppl who were feeling meh, I was feeling very meh after episode 1.

Well, I liked it. It cribs way too much from the original trilogy, especially the first movie; it made me appreciate Phantom Menace a bit more in how Lucas attempted doing something different. I liked the new characters, save for the new *big* bad, he's kinda lame. Even for a JJ Abrams movie, SW7 is very by the numbers, but manages to be fun and make this long-time fan get misty eyed. The movie should have ended five minutes earlier than it did, but the fanboy in me is glad it didn't.