By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Horizon Zero Dawn > Zelda BoTW

I could understand the graphics and sales, but the Metacritic prediction is one that I never believed to be possible. And well, we know what happened with the Metascore battle!

Around the Network

Sorry I'm late, thought I'd wait for the fog of the battle to clear a bit before pitching my two cents.

Horizon did awesome for a new IP, and I think that's victory in and of itself, I'll be picking up later down the pipeline to give it a try myself.

With that said, I doubted that it could take on arguably the most highly anticipated Zelda game in the franchise's history, even more than Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

Metacritic: 3D Zelda games usually tend to be in the mid to upper 90s and one of the leading candidates for GOTY. Horizon was a brand new IP that nobody could realistically expect anything from because it was the first game of its franchise, so it was going to be an uphill battle for it to beat Breath of the Wild in that department.

Graphics: ..... Seriously? Was this really necessary? You want to put a PS4/PS4 Pro game put it up against a Wii U/Switch game? On what planet was this a fair fight?

Sales: Now if there was one argument that intrigued me and made me think, "Huh. Horizon might actually win this one." It was this. Because it had a 55 million userbase going for it vs. a 14 million userbase + launching system for Zelda. On the other hand, thanks to Twilight Princess, we have seen what a Zelda game at launch is capable of and it gave us an idea of what Breath of the Wild might be capable of as well. Now that we reach 2 months after the launch of both titles, with 1 month of sales data in, I think it's safe to say that Horizon will not be winning this battle. I fully expect now that the Switch version of Breath of the Wild alone will eventually overtake Horizon: Zero Dawn later down the pipeline. As it stands now, it is starting to outsell Horizon at a 2:1 ratio and utterly destroying it in North America and Japan. When even the Wii U version is outselling it one of those regions... that's a telling sign of how well its legs will fair.

In conclusion, Horizon unnecessary wins in graphics. Zelda takes sales and critic scores.... easily I might add.
But the team behind Horizon has nothing to be ashamed of. They've got a winner in their hands and a potential killer app franchise for the PlayStation brand if they play their cards right.
Zelda will keep being Zelda, albeit at an even higher level of prestige, quality, and greatness than it was before, while Horizon has a bright future and great potential to be PlayStation's new #1 IP, replacing Uncharted, should they go that route with this. Overall, as someone who owns both the Switch AND PS4, more games to play for me!!

Slarvax said:
tbone51 said:

What is uc4 ltd? 9mil?

Last we heard it was at 8.7m. It should reach 10m before 2018, maaaybe before November this year.

Sony didn't announced anything for their FY2016 report, besides PS4 shipments :/

It was at 8.7 million sold as of Dec 21st last year. It will easily surpass 10m before 2018 heck it might have already done so. And if not it has to be EXTREMELY close. Wait it is the default bundle now so we could take year to date sales almost and just add them to the 8.7 million right? And that would be super close to the total not including digital. Or not....heck just trying to add in lol

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

PAOerfulone said:
Sorry I'm late, thought I'd wait for the fog of the battle to clear a bit before pitching my two cents.

Horizon did awesome for a new IP, and I think that's victory in and of itself, I'll be picking up later down the pipeline to give it a try myself.

With that said, I doubted that it could take on arguably the most highly anticipated Zelda game in the franchise's history, even more than Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess.

Metacritic: 3D Zelda games usually tend to be in the mid to upper 90s and one of the leading candidates for GOTY. Horizon was a brand new IP that nobody could realistically expect anything from because it was the first game of its franchise, so it was going to be an uphill battle for it to beat Breath of the Wild in that department.

Graphics: ..... Seriously? Was this really necessary? You want to put a PS4/PS4 Pro game put it up against a Wii U/Switch game? On what planet was this a fair fight?

Sales: Now if there was one argument that intrigued me and made me think, "Huh. Horizon might actually win this one." It was this. Because it had a 55 million userbase going for it vs. a 14 million userbase + launching system for Zelda. On the other hand, thanks to Twilight Princess, we have seen what a Zelda game at launch is capable of and it gave us an idea of what Breath of the Wild might be capable of as well. Now that we reach 2 months after the launch of both titles, with 1 month of sales data in, I think it's safe to say that Horizon will not be winning this battle. I fully expect now that the Switch version of Breath of the Wild alone will eventually overtake Horizon: Zero Dawn later down the pipeline. As it stands now, it is starting to outsell Horizon at a 2:1 ratio and utterly destroying it in North America and Japan. When even the Wii U version is outselling it one of those regions... that's a telling sign of how well its legs will fair.

In conclusion, Horizon unnecessary wins in graphics. Zelda takes sales and critic scores.... easily I might add.
But the team behind Horizon has nothing to be ashamed of. They've got a winner in their hands and a potential killer app franchise for the PlayStation brand if they play their cards right.
Zelda will keep being Zelda, albeit at an even higher level of prestige, quality, and greatness than it was before, while Horizon has a bright future and great potential to be PlayStation's new #1 IP, replacing Uncharted, should they go that route with this. Overall, as someone who owns both the Switch AND PS4, more games to play for me!!

That is indeed true, horizon is a pretty good title for a new ip, i never thought guerrilla games would be able to make a decent game after kz:sf fiasco, i enjoyed playing it, the only thing i wished when playing was more freedom to climb stuff like in assassins creed, the lack of it really killed it a bit for me, some places are really "climbable" but she just doesn't climb.

For Zelda i can't say much about it, i'm skipping the wii u version to play on the switch later this year, i've only played the demo and the game plays amazingly, the only think i didn't like was the washed visuals, i wish it was more like the wind waker HD, it's weird but the WW HD graphics impresses me way more than botw, that shet looks like pixar level, somehow botw looks more outdated than ww hd to me, maybe it was the tv settings where i played the demo.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Week 6 (8th Apr), USA retail:

BotW NS: 77,582
BotW WiiU: 20,908

HZD: 12,798

Source: VGC http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/42834/USA/

Around the Network

Zelda is going to destroy Horizon in sales lol. Graphically it's also a more impressive Wii U game than Horizon is a PS4 game.

So Zelda wins on all fronts actually. :)

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

daredevil.shark said:
1. Meta critic wise Zelda is leagues ahead of horizon.
2. Visuals wise horizon is the best visual in console game.
3. With the sales number for horizon and Zelda; horizon is ahead of Zelda. And will comfortably win sales race. Good effort by Zelda but install base matters.

LMFAO

Never change man.

We have a new copypasta.

3. With the sales number for PERSONA 5 and MINECRAFT swicth; PERSONA 5 is ahead of MINECRAFT switch. And will comfortably win sales race. Good effort by MINECRAFT switch but install base matters.

So a small detail on april sales.

Japan HDZ did a little under 30k? And zelda a little over 100k

Europe it seeems HDZ is ahead but slightly. (UK/Germany but france buying zelda more).

US zelda should be up by quite alot going by npd.

RoW i dunno. Maybe HDZ?

So Zelda should be close to HDZ in shipments if not surpassed it by now/soon.

Sony didnt give out numbers so its hard to gauge atm. Zelda WW is having much better legs. HDZ can have a bundle later on so we wait and see. Also dlc will help. LoZ wont have a bundle imo

mZuzek said:
daredevil.shark said:

sales wise this will be a piece of cake for Horizon Zero Dawn.

Never ceases to amuse.

Piece of Zelda cake! HDZ is still doing amazing but it baffles me with this guy

It's too bad predictions like these devalue the true success and brilliance of Horizon. It sold amazingly well and is critically acclaimed all around, but trying to compare it to Zelda does it a disservice

(Formerly RCTjunkie)