By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Horizon Zero Dawn > Zelda BoTW

Difficult to say. They are the two games I'm looking forward to the most.

I've talked to some people, but from what I've heard, there's quite a few people awaiting what Horizon will do. After Killzone: Shadowfall that's understandable. Zelda games always score very high on Metacritic, and don't underestimate the Wii U, the attach rate of games are insane on that system. Mario Kart 8 is approaching 6 million units. That equivalent to a game selling around 18 million copies on the PS4. If Horizon does just ''decent'' and sells 3-4 million copies on the PS4 and Zelda U does amazing and sells around 4-5 million copies. It's not impossible...

Around the Network

Graphics: I think this is subjective, especially if the art style and production values are totally different. However, technically speaking I think Horizon wins hands down with everything they have thrown at the game.

Metabolic:

Neither studio has proven they can do open world games. We already have a thread saying Nintendo delayed ZeldaU due to the world being boring between dungeons. Both games have question marks looming over their heads, but from what I know and my experience with both developers I know:

Nintendo know how to make awesome dungeons create amazing boss fights.

GG know how to make decent fps gameplay, they have hired a more than competent writer, and last but not least they hired people from CDP that made one of the best openworld games this gen with amazing quests and lore.

If Nintendo manage to sort out these rumoured problems it will score well.

If GG can bring together the best qualities from their studio, the FO writer and team and the CDP quest dudes team, they might have one of the best new IPs of this gen on their hands.

Depending on how things unravel, I think it is possible either can fail or succeed. Winning by a point or 2 is not big enough a deal.

Sales:

I'm not going to look at sales across 2 gen launches. We are comparing one game on one system against another game on another system. The way Sony are doing remasters and relaunches etc we could argue the same for Horizon and then compare sales again in 4 years. It's all too complicated, so I prefer keeping it simple just keeping it current gen.

The most ZeldaU can sell is 11Mil copies, by every WiiU owner buying one. If half the userbase by one, that's 6Mil copies. Looking at Super Mario 3D world, I think ZeldaU will probably get around 4-5mil sales at the most if it reviews well and is not buried under a new system launch hype like GT6 was.

Horizon on the other hand looks like a game that will have huge marketing push and will be released on a system that will probably have a userbase of +40mil. If it reviews well and Sony market it, I think it could end with sales of 6-7mil.

Horizon looks cool but it has a very odd story. You're basically a futuristic cavewoman, living in a world with robotic dinosaurs. It doesn't matter how great the gameplay, visuals or sound is... that's a hard sell. Zelda on the other hand is the stuff of legend at this point and won't have that working against it.

Honestly yes in graphics and artstyle, and the "feel" of the world, Horizon looks miles better.
Sales... yeah the PS4 userbase is alot bigger than the Wii Us.

Metacritic scores? that one is still up in the air.

I agree, except for Metacritic, Zelda being an old licence, it will automaticly get +90 just by the name as long as it's decent. It's like Mario, it automaticly gets better than it deserves ( and even nintendo fans will agree with me that NSMB Wii U should get less than DK C WiiU )

While Horizon will likely be around 88-90 , new IP from dev who never made an open world

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

Zelda U vs HZD PS4

I'm going with horizon to sell more
I'm going with horizon to trounce it graphically
I'm going with Zelda U to have a higher metacritic

It will come out on the NX too so I reckon that could push total sales in Zelda U's favor but graphics still horizon.

Strange comparison considering its a new IP. Uncharted 4 vs Zelda makes more sense.

Also lol both these games were meant to be out already. It's funny when you think about that.

OneKartVita said:
Zelda U vs HZD PS4

I'm going with horizon to sell more
I'm going with horizon to trounce it graphically
I'm going with Zelda U to have a higher metacritic

It will come out on the NX too so I reckon that could push total sales in Zelda U's favor but graphics still horizon.

Strange comparison considering its a new IP. Uncharted 4 vs Zelda makes more sense.

Also lol both these games were meant to be out already. It's funny when you think about that.

Were they? I thought HZD was always supposed to be a 2016 game?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

hmm isnt horizon an rpg? anyway Ill go against the grain and say zelda wins meta and sales and horizon won't live up to the hype

Aerys said:
I agree, except for Metacritic, Zelda being an old licence, it will automaticly get +90 just by the name as long as it's decent. It's like Mario, it automaticly gets better than it deserves ( and even nintendo fans will agree with me that NSMB Wii U should get less than DK C WiiU )

While Horizon will likely be around 88-90 , new IP from dev who never made an open world

Super Mario 3Dworld is where deserves to be at 93 though, same with Mario Kart at 88. And Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were also where they deserve to be, so you are making a rule out of an exception, and not a big one because 84 is not a +90 yet the game was decent as you say, and New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS has a 78, getting a big score just for the name uh? 

I could see Zelda doing better on sales. Seeing as 1st party titles do so well on the system, and people really want this type of Zeda (except for the graphics), it might sell really well.

Now, it's really hard to tell where Horizon Dawn will end up. I looks like a fantastic game that PS4 owners will eat up, but is there anything we can compare it to? I'd say it sells at minimum 1.5 million units just because it looks like an attractive game, but, again, I have no idea where it would end up on sales numbers.

I don't really care about the 2 other categories. Of course HZD will have better graphics, and metacritic is just a bragging rights number. Kind of useful number, but no reason to compete with others.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988