By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is the best graphical showcase for the Wii U?

Which game is the best graphical showcase for the Wii U?

Bayonetta 2 82 17.15%

Mario Kart 8 138 28.87%

Xenoblade Chronicles X 145 30.33%

FAST Racing NEO 23 4.81%

Pikmin 3 18 3.77%

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker 7 1.46%

Yoshi's Woolly World 10 2.09%

Need for Speed: Most Wanted U 26 5.44%

Other 26 5.44%

Total:475
Vodacixi said:
d21lewis said:

Why? Because it actually has collision detection?

First of, I know the game has flaws like the one you mentioned. By any means I think is perfect, not even from a technical point of view. So, you can save your jokes for yourself.

Second, Dragon's Dogma is not even 720p on neither 360 or PS3. It is rendered in some sub-par resolution (I don't know the number exactly). Xenoblade X on the other hand, is native 720p. Also, IIRR from my last playthrough of that game, DD struggles to mantain 30fps on the previous gen (sometimes with really noticiable framerate drops), while Xeno X is almost rock solid 30fps with some minor drops in very few situations.

Third, Dragon's Dogma has nowhere near the same scale, distance draw, variety of landscapes and wildlife as Xenoblade Chronicles X. We can discuss if Dragon's Dogma has some little things equal or better than Xeno X (I think minor things like the fire effect are better than Xenoblade), but in general, Xeno X looks better at the same time that it offers a far richer world and visual experience than Dragon Dogma ever did with PS360.

Yes, it may not have collision detection in some situations (with enemies and cars in the city mostly), and popping is definitley there, but at least it does not appear suddenly like other games, developers of this game were aware of the issue and they tried to controll it by setting a patern and animation for things to appear and they set a distance to appear. That's pretty much it though. DD performs far worse, has lower resolution, is far limited in scale... So basically, you're are wrong.

I'm done. For real this time.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Vodacixi said:

First of, I know the game has flaws like the one you mentioned. By any means I think is perfect, not even from a technical point of view. So, you can save your jokes for yourself.

Second, Dragon's Dogma is not even 720p on neither 360 or PS3. It is rendered in some sub-par resolution (I don't know the number exactly). Xenoblade X on the other hand, is native 720p. Also, IIRR from my last playthrough of that game, DD struggles to mantain 30fps on the previous gen (sometimes with really noticiable framerate drops), while Xeno X is almost rock solid 30fps with some minor drops in very few situations.

Third, Dragon's Dogma has nowhere near the same scale, distance draw, variety of landscapes and wildlife as Xenoblade Chronicles X. We can discuss if Dragon's Dogma has some little things equal or better than Xeno X (I think minor things like the fire effect are better than Xenoblade), but in general, Xeno X looks better at the same time that it offers a far richer world and visual experience than Dragon Dogma ever did with PS360.

Yes, it may not have collision detection in some situations (with enemies and cars in the city mostly), and popping is definitley there, but at least it does not appear suddenly like other games, developers of this game were aware of the issue and they tried to controll it by setting a patern and animation for things to appear and they set a distance to appear. That's pretty much it though. DD performs far worse, has lower resolution, is far limited in scale... So basically, you're are wrong.

I'm done. For real this time.

Allow me to use an expression in my language: A ver si es verdad (I hope it's true).

Torillian said:
d21lewis said:

I'm going to go on a rant here. I'm sorry.

Xenoblade Chronicles X had the worst pop in I've ever seen since Shenmue. Things just pop in right in front of you. I counted. Ten steps away. That's how closely things magically appear. Even in cutscenes, i watched as part of a mountain appeared and disappeared repeatedly. A lot of the time, the ground is just a blurry mess of scattered textures with no detail. Characters, environments, cars, etc often have no details of the barest minimum of details. Shadows are often totally nonexistent or are just circular blurs. Walk towards another character or mech or a car and often you'll just walk right THROUGH THEM like they aren't even there. And it's so jaggy!

How are so many people okay with this? Are we giving Xenoblade a free pass? If so, why hasn't anyone told me!?! I can see fast off in the distance (as many games allow us to do) and it maintains a stable framerate. I'll give it that. It's that what we're settling for now?

I'm sorry. I haven't made it my mission to bash this game. It's deep, addicting, and fun. Why can't anybody see all of these glaring flaws but me? Even when people mention them, they say "It only happens here" or "It doesn't effect gameplay". My mind is blown!!!

Out of curiosity, were you able to download the data packs?  I thought I'd put them on a thumb drive but I haven't figured out how to do so so I'm currently rocking without them.  Since these supposedly affect loading it could be a factor in pop-in.  

I actually downloaded the days data packs before I got the game. I wanted the disc version so bad but I couldn't get to the store until yesterday. I think digital foundry says it runs better if you have the digital version saved to an external HDD. I don't have that option, now.

I did purchase a sexy bathing suit for my created character, though. She's pretty hot.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty surprised that Yoshi's Woolly World and Captain Toad aren't getting more attention. Even FAST Racing NEO is getting less than I thought it would.

Definitely suspected that MK8 and XCX would be the frontrunners though, with Bayo 2 trailing behind.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Need for speed.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Torillian said:

Out of curiosity, were you able to download the data packs?  I thought I'd put them on a thumb drive but I haven't figured out how to do so so I'm currently rocking without them.  Since these supposedly affect loading it could be a factor in pop-in.  

I actually downloaded the days data packs before I got the game. I wanted the disc version so bad but I couldn't get to the store until yesterday. I think digital foundry says it runs better if you have the digital version saved to an external HDD. I don't have that option, now.

I did purchase a sexy bathing suit for my created character, though. She's pretty hot.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

FAST Racing Neo, no contest.

Physically based rendering, (something almost nothing else on the system can boast) 60 frames per second, superb textures, lighting, and shadows, plus goodies like anisotropic filtering and ambient occlusion that a lot of Wii U games forego.

On a technological level, it has no equal on Wii U.

This would all be cool and all... But the sacrifices they had to make to use those graphics features make for one of the worst jaggies fest on the console.

Sometimes, it feels like all they do, they do for boasting sake. Yeah, they managed to use those effects all at once in a single game, but when the picture looks as pixelated as it those in FAST, one has to wonder if it was such a wise decision to go that way, and if it was THAT worth it (to me, nope).

I actually think Mario Kart 8 looks jaggier, though probably just cos it is slower moving, giving me more time to notice pixel crawl.

FRN's reconstructed framebuffer setup is certainly a shortcoming, but in my opinion its not nearly enough to outweigh all that it accomplishes. A higher resolution would have meant sacrificing some other element of its graphical makeup, and I'm not sure there's anything else I'd rather they cut.

Its presentation isn't perfect, and individual preference will of course come into play in terms of whether the tradeoffs were worth it, but on a purely technological level, no other Wii U game can claim to have accomplished what FRN has.

Captain Toad. Seriously, it's a visual orgasm to my eyes. It's so colorful and charming...

I have Xenoblade X, Mario Maker and Nintendo Land. I have to say that being used to 1080p with anti aliasing has spoiled me. Jagges are such a distracting artifact. I find Xenoblade at 1080p with SSAA much more easy on my eyes than Xenoblade X at 720p with crap antialiasing.. Other than that the game is pretty impressive not because of how much it pushes the Wii U, but because of the attention to detail in the world.

For me it´s Fast Racing Neo and Xenoblade