By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's with Undertale?

It's beating Melee in Gamefaqs Best. Game. Ever poll. And it's starting to appear everywhere on the internet. I've played it, and it was amazing, but now I'm starting to think it's overrated.

Around the Network

It is overrated. It mainly succeeds because it's so edgy and pulls at nostalgia strings. As a story it is interesting, as a game it's failing. I still have to finish it. I had to stop after a few hours, while I was intrigued in the story, the gameplay was incredibly bland and repetitive.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It´s getting overrated, simple as that.

It'll be funny when it's forgotten about next year. Honestly the troll voting for Undertale has forced me to wait to play it simply because I now associate the game with the trolling. It's a shame because if the game is half as good as people say it's worth a playthrough and I simply have to wait until my mind disassociates the game with negativity. By then the game could be a drop in the bucket though, so maybe being forced to wait will dehype it for me and I'll experience it more fairly than I would now. That's what I did with TLoU, except I did it there by choice.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I like how one guy puts some of his heart and soul into a game he's wanted to make for a long time coming and "it;s overrated" is the answer.

Oh yeah I forgot it's a game that does nothing unique or special at all and it's apparently meant to be utter tripe /s.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

It's still my ~third best game of all time. The soundtrack being a major factor.

I don't think it's overrated, but if you value graphics or high levels of polish more than other qualities (nothing wrong with that) I can see why you might not think it's all that.

It's just one of those games
You know which ones

Eh looking at all of the Nintendo games and how far they've made it in the comp Im starting to thing Nintendo is overrated. Also Kojima is overrated, Sony's 1st party is overrated and the Souls series is too. Oh and lets not forget Bethesda and Final Fantasy... also overrated

Tumblr is good at overselling stuff.
The game does seem good tho.

Undertale really plays with your expectations and gives you something to think about what the essence of games really is. You can play it several times and still find something new in it. It's really the story, the characters and the soundtrack what this game is living from. The gameplay itself isn't mind-blowing, except for a few fights. But Undertale is a game where choices truly matter. It's not like in other games where your choices simply give you another FMV or something. You really change the world with what you decide to do - or not to do.

You really can't describe it in just a few words, but Undertale does very many things extremely well. While it isn't my most favourite game of all time, it is definitely in the top 10 and I can see why many people love it. You just have to play it yourself to understand it. And do yourself a favour and don't spoil it with YouTube, walkthroughs or something.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.