By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Temporarily Raises Digital Game Prices Ahead Of Launching New Promotion On PlayStation Store

Tagged games:

danielrdp said:
Euphoria14 said:

Sony is leading and can afford to pull off garbage like this. Nintendo can not.

That is why. It's simple to understand.

You don't follow the European PS stores sales, do you? It's just ridiculous how much we get screwed over. It's not just this deal. People are always complaining on the European PS blog.   

I do not. I live in the US, but even here our digital prices are absurd and i've seen times where prices shoot up during a Buy one get one sale. Retail included.

However I have been told that in Europe you get much better retail pricing then we do.

Of course that last bit is based on what i've read on forums and not real world experience.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I don't really care for the price raising, as all businesses do this. Goes to show there only in it for your $$$ which is normal for a corp.

The thing that has me wondering, there are a lot of gamers in here who are defending this method, if MS did this, would it get the same treatment?

Azzanation said:
I don't really care for the price raising, as all businesses do this. Goes to show there only in it for your $$$ which is normal for a corp.

The thing that has me wondering, there are a lot of gamers in here who are defending this method, if MS did this, would it get the same treatment?

Doubtful, mostly because of MS's overall perception compared to Sony's. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Azzanation said:

If you want to believe that, yes.

KylieDog said:
pokoko said:
KylieDog said:
pokoko said:
It's common practice to raise prices back up to MSRP before beginning a new sale. All retailers do this, as promotional discounts are generally based on the MSRP listing.

It's actually illegal in UK.

Prices can never go back up?  Is that even possible?  Discounts have to be based on discounts?  

You are not allowed to advertise something as being on sale for a set price for an extended period of time, after a while it must just be advertised as the price, even if below MSRP.  If you then want to advertise for example a 50% sale, you must discount the 50% from the price it has been, you cannot raise the price back to MSRP and discount 50% from that, as it is misleading the consumer into believing they getting a bigger discount than they really are.

I don't believe what Sony has done is illegal, as it is 'buy one get one free' which is not misleading.  But it's certainly immoral and skirting the law.

What? That's fucking crazy...There is always going to be a point where one sale ends and another begins. Let me give you an example.

At work last week we were selling Ipad Minis for $50 off. This week, they come with a $50 gift card. Someone who comes in today for an Ipad Mini isn't owed last weeks price with this weeks deal. If Ipad Minis are back to $50 off next week, then that's the price for next week.

Same thing with this BOGO deal. They were on sale, now it's a BOGO, they are under no legal or moral obligation to stake them.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
danielrdp said:

You don't follow the European PS stores sales, do you? It's just ridiculous how much we get screwed over. It's not just this deal. People are always complaining on the European PS blog.   

I do not. I live in the US, but even here our digital prices are absurd and i've seen times where prices shoot up during a Buy one get one sale. Retail included.

However I have been told that in Europe you get much better retail pricing then we do.

Of course that last bit is based on what i've read on forums and not real world experience.

Well. Unfortunately, we don't. Most of AAA games are £54 during its release, and it takes a long time for the price to drop. The physical copy of those same games releases for £39, and the price drops really quickly.

Usually Nintendo has the best parity between its digital offering and the physcal copy, especially when there is a sale, I've just bought Shin Megami Tensei Iv for £8 and Tropical Freeze for £20.