By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Temporarily Raises Digital Game Prices Ahead Of Launching New Promotion On PlayStation Store

Tagged games:

Euphoria14 said:
adslife80 said:

it makes me laugh. When Sony get reported for doing this, so many people seem to say its nit a big deal. Yet if Nintendo were to do it.... All,hell,would break out. This is so true and I've seen it happen time and again. Nintendo called out for the smallest thing, were with Sony its not such a big deal.

Sony is leading and can afford to pull off garbage like this. Nintendo can not.

That is why. It's simple to understand.

You don't follow the European PS stores sales, do you? It's just ridiculous how much we get screwed over. It's not just this deal. People are always complaining on the European PS blog.   

Around the Network

So paying £22.50 for a game instead of £35/£40 a game is Sony trying to rip people off?

I'm sure the prices will go back to what they were after the promo ends, not sure what the big deal is.

Plus the PSN store is litered with deals with offers like "12 deals of Christmas" knocking up to 60% off titles.

And to the guy saying "if Nintendo did it", grow up a little. Stuff like that is playground childness.

SWORDF1SH said:
So paying £22.50 for a game instead of £35/£40 a game is Sony trying to rip people off?

I'm sure the prices will go back to what they were after the promo ends, not sure what the big deal is.

Plus the PSN store is litered with deals with offers like "12 deals of Christmas" knocking up to 60% off titles.

And to the guy saying "if Nintendo did it", grow up a little. Stuff like that is playground childness.

Come on! you can't be serious. 12 deals of Christmas is pathetic. It should be called 12 days that buying digital games are slightly more expensive than the physical copy.  You can easily find those games (The Order , Until Dawn etc) for less than £20. Sony is not trying to rip people off, they're ripping people off.  

This is what happens when a company needs money badly. I mean, Sony is already going bankrupt but they keep making them timed exclusive deals and then they have the audacity to have less 1st party games than thier competitors. Madness!

danielrdp said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Come on! you can't be serious. 12 deals of Christmas is pathetic. It should be called 12 days that buying digital games are slightly more expensive than the physical copy.  You can easily find those games (The Order , Until Dawn etc) for less than £20. Sony is not trying to rip people off, they're ripping people off.  

No doubt but that's always been the same with digital games on all console. Still doesn't take away the fact that Sony are offereing deals of up to 60% off the full price. There are some good deals on the store and it's a little extreme to say Sony are ripping people off.

I buy digital a lot and find some great deals, but if I see it cheaper on another store I will but it there. Because you find it cheaper somewhere else doesn't mean that every other store selling it for higher are ripping you off. You have the choice to pick where you buy and it's been like that forever.

I would like to see console offer Steam like deals (Btw steam doesn't always offer you the cheapest) but we probably will not see that until digital make up the majority of game sales.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
pokoko said:
KylieDog said:
pokoko said:
It's common practice to raise prices back up to MSRP before beginning a new sale. All retailers do this, as promotional discounts are generally based on the MSRP listing.

It's actually illegal in UK.

Prices can never go back up?  Is that even possible?  Discounts have to be based on discounts?  

You are not allowed to advertise something as being on sale for a set price for an extended period of time, after a while it must just be advertised as the price, even if below MSRP.  If you then want to advertise for example a 50% sale, you must discount the 50% from the price it has been, you cannot raise the price back to MSRP and discount 50% from that, as it is misleading the consumer into believing they getting a bigger discount than they really are.

I don't believe what Sony has done is illegal, as it is 'buy one get one free' which is not misleading.  But it's certainly immoral and skirting the law.

I would have an issue if the prices were raised a lot to to make it look like a better deal than it is. But we are talking about £5 - £10 price rise to get an extra game. You are saving  £25-£35 on this deal. People are mentioning retail prices being cheaper but that's a different issue altogether.

This is one of those articles making a mountain out of mole hill to either paint a console in a bad light and/or get hits. Not trying to make out that Sony gets picked on, we see these type of articles all the time against all the consoles.

I see it happen to a lot of 360 games with BC on Xbone. 360 games are now more expensive to buy than PS3 games. Those are retailer prices though, not straight from M$. M$ digital gets price cuts, but never go up. Then weekly sales cut more on those price cuts.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
danielrdp said:
Euphoria14 said:

Sony is leading and can afford to pull off garbage like this. Nintendo can not.

That is why. It's simple to understand.

You don't follow the European PS stores sales, do you? It's just ridiculous how much we get screwed over. It's not just this deal. People are always complaining on the European PS blog.   

The bolded is the thing to keep in mind here, and I've talked about it in a lot of threads before but the sales EU and US get on PSN are different, but one isn't better than the other, often the US store gets flash sales which are really nice, but the EU store gets a collection of different sales and anniversary things where prices drop to the same if not lower often than the US sales.

I'd say if you want to rate the sales then look at them, rather than going off the vocal ones being loud about it online... you can write whatever you want on the internet, doesn't mean it has basis in reality.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

On closer inspection, this is a little shady by Sony. There are some strong titles on the and a few you might get a deal on or somewhere near physical disc prices but there's also a few in that list that is daylight robbery. I'm not sure if I have an issue with Sony raising the prices of these cheap (On Amazon) games or including them in the list. I wouldn't have a problem with them raising the prices for the promo if all the games were good but £22.50 (average price of game in 2 for 1 deal) for Lego the Hobbit? C'mon!

I compiled a list

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Game PS Store Price Amazon Price
The Order: 1886 £44.99 £17.82
The Last of Us Remastered £44.99 £17.99
Until Dawn £44.99 £18.99
EA Sports UFC £44.99 £44.99
Blood Bowl 2 £44.99 £19.99
Tour de France 2015 £44.99 £24.91
Farming Simulator 15 £44.99 £19.99
Divinity Original Sin – Enhanced Edition £44.99 £22.99
Air Conflicts Vietnam – Ultimate Edition £44.99 £16.50
Saints Row IV: Re-Elected & Gat out of Hell £44.99 £18.03
Zombie Army Trilogy £44.99 £26.95
Natural Doctrine £44.99 £25.85
Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires £44.99 £17.85
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends – Complete Edition £44.99 £16.79
Payday 2: Crimewave Edition £44.99 £22.00
Rabbids Invasion – Gold Edition £44.99 £12.49
Watch_Dogs – Complete Edition £44.99 £17.00 Standard
Evolve – Digital Deluxe £44.99 £19.34 Standard
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor – Legion Edition £44.99 £15.00 Standard
Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham £44.99 £15.00
Lego Marvel Super Heroes £44.99 £15.16
The Lego Movie Videogame £44.99 £16.99
Lego The Hobbit £44.99 £8.75
MotoGP 15 £44.99 £22.99
RIDE £44.99 £22.89

the prices for main digital PS4 games have stayed very high as far as i can tell,haven't seen this offer yet but the 12 deals of xmas have been too high for me,not one worth it yet and they use to do movie rentals for .99p in the old 12 deals of xmas this year its hard to see any discount

merry xmas sony baa humbug i say

Above & Beyond