By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Temporarily Raises Digital Game Prices Ahead Of Launching New Promotion On PlayStation Store

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
KylieDog said:
pokoko said:
It's common practice to raise prices back up to MSRP before beginning a new sale. All retailers do this, as promotional discounts are generally based on the MSRP listing.

It's actually illegal in UK.

Prices can never go back up?  Is that even possible?  Discounts have to be based on discounts?  

Whats illegal is increasing price then putting the said porduct on offer which actually is not an offer as they are selling it at its origional price and masking it as an offer to get poeple to buy.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
d21lewis said:
If Sony did it, they did it. Don't play the "It's okay because this other person did it" card. They were wrong, too.

If you're talking to me, and you're saying that it's wrong for a company to ever cancel one price reduction before they apply another promotion, then I'm going to seriously disagree with your idea of "wrong".  As someone who has worked retail all their life and has owned and managed two retail store-fronts, I find the idea of being entitled to perpetually stacked discounts to be even more wrong.  Pretty much every retailer does this, not because it's "wrong" but because it's would be absolutely fatal to do otherwise.  They'd either have to stop doing sales or they'd go out of business.

I don't think I was talking to you. I might have been, though. *shrugs* Maybe your post fell into the category.

I worked at a store store that had socks on same for half price every single day for the year that I worked there.  It wasn't a sale. It was the price but people didn't know better. We were wrong, too. Ending a sale is one thing. Raising the new standard price is another.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Whether there is an issue or not depends on what the price was normally. 

If they had Game A on sale for $20 but before this promotion, bumped it back up to its normal $40 price, there's nothing wrong with that.

If they had Game A dropped to $20 and before that it was $25 or $30 but they raised it to $40 for the sale, that's a shitty move.

Either way it's probably not an issue. And with digital console prices being so ridiculous, you'll pretty much always be able to find cheaper physical deals online.

The order 1866 standard price has been £34.99 since May and now for this offer has been raised to £44.99

The Last of Us Remastered launch price was £39.99 and was boosted to £44.99 for this promotion

Shadow of Mordor was £39.99 as a standard price since August then raised to £44.99 for this promotion

There is some others as well that have minor increases along with a few games that have changed from £49.99 - £44.99 in price to fit this promotion, Even though you do save money with the price increases if you use the buy 1 get 1 free promotion, Instead of raiseing prices to do this all they needed to add was a smallprint "Pay for the highest price game and get the other free" 

As an example if I bought UFC(£44.99) + The Order 1866(£34.99) you would still be paying £44.99 for them as UFC is the highest cost game of £44.99.

Doesn't bother me at all I only buy a select few things digital and I would just buy any of these e games if I want them for £10-£20 new or potentially even cheap ifyou go the pre-owned route.

kitler53 said:
dear god,. is there anything the internet won't whine about.

Nope.

Too difficult to just say: "Nope, didn't want it at $20, so won't buy it at $40 because it comes with another previously $20 title for free."

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

it makes me laugh. When Sony get reported for doing this, so many people seem to say its nit a big deal. Yet if Nintendo were to do it.... All,hell,would break out. This is so true and I've seen it happen time and again. Nintendo called out for the smallest thing, were with Sony its not such a big deal.

Around the Network
TheTruthHurts! said:
No unusual, seems a common practice lately.

I have been hoping for some big sales on my Steam wish-list and some older Xbox One titles I am looking to pick up digitally....no go so far.

Don't even get me started about game discounts for titles I want to pick up for my Wii U.

Really hoping Steam sales this Xmas are going to be something since I stacked some AAA and Indie titles on my list for this purpose, also we won't have dailies and flash sales which is a bit sad.

Also hoping we see some eshop sales since I wanna nab some 3DS/old titles.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I remember a long time ago wanting to buy this game called "Wet" at Gamestop. It was continually marked down until it reached like $12 or something. They didn't even bother to take the old sticker off. They just kept throwing the new on top of the old.

They had a buy two get one free sale and the price jumped up to like $19! Didn't like it then. Don't like it now. Yeah, it happens but c'mon. I didn't buy it. .....I actually might try to buy it now!

pokoko said:
KylieDog said:
pokoko said:
It's common practice to raise prices back up to MSRP before beginning a new sale. All retailers do this, as promotional discounts are generally based on the MSRP listing.

It's actually illegal in UK.

Prices can never go back up?  Is that even possible?  Discounts have to be based on discounts?  

A price must of been set for at least 28 days in the uk before giving a percentage discount, otherwise the percentage discount must reflect the older cheaper price.

Sony have got round this law, as they are not doing a percentage discount they are doing a buy one get one free deal.  

So its not illegal but in the UK consumers still regard this to be a shady as fuck practice. 

Companies are ripped apart by our consumer television programs for stuff like this. Hopfully Sony will be this time. 

Sharpryno said:
ganoncrotch said:

That said, the offer is still giving you 2 games for the price they had been asking for 1 of them, I'm not sure what the issue is here.

The fact that you can buy both The Order and Until Dawn at a much cheaper price together on Amazon as opposed to the ps4 Store even with the sale.

Not a big deal, just a crap "sale". 

Are all of the games from this sale available from retailers at less than half the price being offered on it tho? or just those 2 since The Order was a bit of a sales failure (altho not too bad for a Tech Demo'esque new IP) So it's no real shocker that retailers have lots of copies of it around the place.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

adslife80 said:

it makes me laugh. When Sony get reported for doing this, so many people seem to say its nit a big deal. Yet if Nintendo were to do it.... All,hell,would break out. This is so true and I've seen it happen time and again. Nintendo called out for the smallest thing, were with Sony its not such a big deal.

Sony is leading and can afford to pull off garbage like this. Nintendo can not.

That is why. It's simple to understand.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!