By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2015 NPD Thread! Hardware and software in OP!

I seen some earlier posts saying Halo 5 flopped. How did it flop exactly? Did people expect it to hit 3 million+? Not even COD on xbox one did that first week. I just don't understand people sometimes.

Around the Network

tagging.

lets hope no bomba's happen this month like last month.

Snoopy said:
I seen some earlier posts saying Halo 5 flopped. How did it flop exactly? Did people expect it to hit 3 million+? Not even COD on xbox one did that first week. I just don't understand people sometimes.

Not sure what qualifies as a flop to be honest, but I doubt anyone expected numbers so low for the first mainline Halo on X1.

In other words, as just another game it did good/great. As a Halo entry it is a severe decline.

All those preorders, and VGC has PS4 winning by less than 40k combined for Cod and Battlefront launch weeks. Seems unlikely.

Snoopy said:

When people say it flopped, they're talking relative to previous entries. I wouldn't personally put that label on, but i can understand why others would.

Around the Network
celador said:
All those preorders, and VGC has PS4 winning by less than 40k combined for Cod and Battlefront launch weeks. Seems unlikely.

With these things it's been proven over and over that it's best to wait for NPD and adjustments. We would all love for VGC to be more accurate over time, and to their credit they DO make the necessary adjustments as time passes. But week to week accuracy, particularly in times like these with rapid changes in promotions, stock availability, etc, well .. to put it kindly, it has to be really hard to accomplish without the raw access to all the gigantic retailers.

Once in a while they are pretty darned close though for sure. I'd bet on this months numbers being a bit off however for a great many reasons that have already been noted, such as your own.

Zekkyou said:
Snoopy said:

When people say it flopped, they're talking relative to previous entries. I wouldn't personally put that label on, but i can understand why others would.

depends on your definition of the word "flop". Flop, at least to me, means a failure. Halo 5 didnt fail, considering it sold roughly 1 million in the USA week one. i would call it underperfoming, a more suiting word for it, considering the performance of past halo titles. 

TAAAAAAAAAAG

bananaking21 said:
Zekkyou said:

depends on your definition of the word "flop". Flop, at least to me, means a failure. Halo 5 didnt fail, considering it sold roughly 1 million in the USA week one. i would call it underperfoming, a more suiting word for it, considering the performance of past halo titles. 

That's the definition i usually use. It fell short of my expectations by a decent margin (which were already a step down from the last 3 major entries), but it certainly wasn't a failure. It says a lot about how strong an IP Halo is that we can look at these numbers as disappointing at all :p

medussa said:
xbox has as much as the ps4
halo 5 carry over, fallout 4 bundle and free game promotions during cod week

first time 299 with even more extras at some retailers during black friday
xbox brand aways bigger in the holiday, while ps is strong the whole year.
just don't be suprised

Even if all tracking we saw disagree with that, it's still a possibility

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."