By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - XBox Is Weak, Nintendo Needs To Go For the Kill

RolStoppable said:
Isn't the Wii U already beating the Xbox One in mainland Europe and Japan? And if Nintendo is supposed to go for the kill, wouldn't they have to beat Microsoft in the USA and the UK?

Essentially, Nintendo is already in second place where Xbox is weak, and they won't win where it supposedly matters.

Both XB1 and Wii U sell like crap in mainland Europe, so if one is better than the the other it's probably a wash at best. I think XB1 still outsells the Wii U in mainland Europe by just having FIFA. 

Japan is the only market where the WIi U outsells the XB1 by a notable margin. 

Nintendo has to compete in the US and UK. Taking the approach of simply ceding those markets is no approach at all.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
RolStoppable said:
Isn't the Wii U already beating the Xbox One in mainland Europe and Japan? And if Nintendo is supposed to go for the kill, wouldn't they have to beat Microsoft in the USA and the UK?

Essentially, Nintendo is already in second place where Xbox is weak, and they won't win where it supposedly matters.

Both XB1 and Wii U sell like crap in mainland Europe, so if one is better than the the other it's probably a wash at best. I think XB1 still outsells the Wii U in mainland Europe by just having FIFA. 

Japan is the only market where the WIi U outsells the XB1 by a notable margin. 

Nintendo has to compete in the US and UK. Taking the approach of simply ceding those markets is no approach at all.

Fifa doesn't seem to be doing much for XB1 in mainland Europe, and that is with MS paying for ads & features.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211056

EDIT - Fifa launch month, Spain - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=209063

But yeah, both are selling like crap so beating the other isn't anything to brag about.

jake_the_fake1 said:
Magnus said:

If they intend to replace the Wii U with an Ouya they have already failed, even more so if it is another 8th-gen console to bide time for the next generation. If they do this they will end up like Sega. Nintendo should have kept the Wii U on life support until this generation ends.

Why Ouya? Why not the Nvidia Shield?

The way I see it Nintendo has the games people like so this alone will make them more successful than the Ouya. Also at this rate they could probably deliver a more powerful console than the WiiU is with just mobile parts, and I think WiiU level hardware is more than sufficient for Nintendo to deliver their type of games with their type of art-style.

So if you could pick up the NX for $150 with the latest Nintendo games, which includes access to all portable titles, how would this be a failure like the Ouya? Hell i think it would be more successful than the Nvidia shield.

You may want Nintendo to keep the WiiU around till the next wave of console launches, but something tells me the platform is no longer profitable and why they are looking to replace it as soon as possible, this is usually what happens when software sales stagnate or drop off the cliff. I'm sure if software sales were really strong then they would of just kept going with it, just like Sony keeps going with the PSvita, strong software sales keep the platform profitable even if install base is low.

Even if Nintendo's new console outsells the Ouya and Nvidia Shield it would still be a failure. Microconsoles are sh*t tier consoles like the 3DO and Jaguar were in its day, consoles that most people would not touch with a 10 foot pole.

It doesn't matter if the Wii U is a money sink, if you release a bad product in the console business you are committed to it for a generation, and you must ride it out until the next wave, not over two years early. There is only one market for videogame consoles anyway: the people who buy PS4 or XBox One. If they want to have any dignity and not be just another third party publisher, they have to sell to them.

im still waiting for Wii U to pass Vita myself

Third party games have always been less on Nintendo consoles

Around the Network

If the NX is as strong as PS4XB1 and launches with a version of SSB4, a version of Zelda U, and a new Mario game, then it might very quickly gain ground on XB1. However, it will likely never catch up. It would need Wii-level sales to close the gap before 8th Gen ends.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
If the NX is as strong as PS4XB1 and launches with a version of SSB4, a version of Zelda U, and a new Mario game, then it might very quickly gain ground on XB1. However, it will likely never catch up. It would need Wii-level sales to close the gap before 8th Gen ends.

I think this approach is problematic. If NX is only as strong as PS4XB1 ... it's likely going to get slaughtered by the PS4XB1, because for one, many people will already have an PS4XB1. 

It needs to be more powerful.

Actually I'll go beyond that and say it's needs to be a bolder hardware revolution than that. There shouldn't be "one" NX, in the way there was a single Wii, N64, SNES, etc. That won't work for Nintendo anymore I don't think. 

NX should be a broad "platform" ... a family of various different hardware products, such as Steam is an over-arching platform and different NX models at different price points and even designs (ie: you could one "serious" console type that looks sleek and like a home electronics component, you could have a lower end cheaper console for kids that has bright colors and more "personality"). 

There shouldn't be a "single" NX, otherwise Nintendo is going to get boxed into a corner where they have to make one piece of hardware appeal to like 10 different demographic groups.

The NXs can all share 1st party games, but third parties would have a choice of where their games can go, developers making a really high end game can make it for the high end NX console, Japanese low budget devs that primarily just want to make games for the portable can make it on that budget and then scale the resolution up if they want it to play on the higher end models. 

Soundwave said:
Azuren said:

I think this approach is problematic. If NX is only as strong as PS4XB1 ... it's likely going to get slaughtered by the PS4XB1, because for one, many people will already have an PS4XB1. 

Actually I'll go beyond that and say it's needs to be a bolder hardware revolution than that. There shouldn't be "one" NX, in the way there was a single Wii, N64, SNES, etc. That won't work for Nintendo anymore I don't think. 

NX should be a broad "platform" ... a family of various different hardware products, such as Steam is an over-arching platform and different NX models at different price points and even designs (ie: you could one "serious" console type that looks sleek and like a home electronics component, you could have a lower end cheaper console for kids that has bright colors and more "personality"). 

There shouldn't be a "single" NX, otherwise Nintendo is going to get boxed into a corner where they have to make one piece of hardware appeal to like 10 different demographic groups.

The NXs can all share 1st party games, but third parties would have a choice of where their games can go, developers making a really high end game can make it for the high end NX console, Japanese low budget devs that primarily just want to make games for the portable can make it on that budget and then scale the resolution up if they want it to play on the higher end models. 

NX needs to me a mobile friendly device.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:
Azuren said:

NX needs to me a mobile friendly device.

The way I see it should be everything. Mobile device, yup. Mid-tier family console? Yup. High end pro console? Yup. 

I have a Macbook Pro Retina, my girlfriend has a regular ol' Macbook Air that's like 1/2 the price. We are both happy with what we got because it suits our personal needs. There is no singular "Macbook". That's how NX should be IMO. 

Nintendo's games can all be shared on the all the devices with varying graphical settings. Yes, this may be more of a pain in the butt for Nintendo designers in some ways, but it's ultimately easier than what they do now where they basically have to make 2 Mario Karts/2 Smashes/2 Mario Tennis/2 NSMBUs etc. etc. for handheld and console that are different games basically and how they have software droughts on both platforms.

Now they can just make one game and share them on all devices. Third parties, I'd let them pick and choose which device(s) they want, like certain high end PC/PS4 ports in some cases may not be feasible on the portable. That's ok. 

Azuren said:

Nintendo doesn't need to "close the gap". The gap means nothing.

They just need a console with PC style hardware, running on X86 like PS4/XBO/PC, that way ports of just about anything makes sense. There is no doubt that PS4/XBO successors will run on it as well, just like PC does. If you lose BC for a gen, big whoop. It's clearly not a selling point anyways, plus PC show they can emulate majority of the old stuff.

If they want to make their own titles unique then god bless them and good luck because it definitely helps to make a difference. First and foremost though they need to do whetever they need to in order to ensure 3rd party devs are on board in terms of thinking the porting work makes financial sense, and if PS4/XBO/PC/NX all run on X86, why wouldn't they just do the simple port? It's not the same as now, where WiiU is running on hardware different to everything else. Plus in a digital age they can ignore retail if it costs too much and offer a digital version, which cuts out tons of added cost which previously may have caused them to consider NOT releasing on a Nintendo console.

If Nintendo can sit there and say "Hey, look over here. We have all the 3rd party games they have, with the same online features, plus our robust collection of the Nintendo games you all love.", it makes a difference.

Forget tablet controllers and wiimotes or whatever they think they need next. People want a standard controller and that's it. Go with what works, pull in 3rd parties by listening for a change, provide your own unique experiences  and then see where it leads.

I know I would be on board.

They need to make money at this point, not "go for the kill" or anything. You gain a stable footing first and move on from there. Enough of the gimmicks.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!