By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - XBox Is Weak, Nintendo Needs To Go For the Kill

bunchanumbers said:
JEMC said:
bunchanumbers said:
JEMC said:

So what you're saying is that it will be like a second console that connects with the first one (I assume that it will do that through Thunderbolt or a similar kind of connexion) that connects to the first one, multiplying its capabilities. That would be more like an add-on, but I get what you mean.

And while I'm not sure that Nintendo would follow that route, I have a hard time imagining how they would sell that thing without confusing people.

Here's a link if you want to check it out. I think it could be big for Nintendo

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/intriguing_nintendo_patent_points_to_supplemental_computing_device_and_cloud_resources_for_a_gaming_system

Thanks for the link. So it would be a mix of an add-on and cloud computing.

That patent seems to support the idea of NX as an hybrid platform with relatively weak hardware (because of its portable nature) that, when connected to the add-on, increases its capabilities and becomes a more powerful home console.

I can see some troubles with that approach, but we'll see if this patent comes to life and if it does, how Nintendo manages to do that.

I don't think it would be a portable. Didn't they already confirm they are working on a home console? I'm leaning towards a handheld and a home console. I'm thinking that the home console will be more powerful than the PS4 and X1, and the handheld will be more powerful than the vita. I'm thinking that when you are using the handheld around the house, its possible to stream it from the console to the handheld, so you got console quality graphics and the like on the handheld. And when the time comes and the home console needs a boost, they can roll out this add on and just like that NX gets stronger and just like that there is instant longevity to stay viable when the PS5/X2 come out. At least this is how I see it.

that sounds confusing to the average joe

Around the Network

xbox is weak, nintendo is weaker.

xbox may be in second, but it has definitely proven itself as a viable home for third party developers, unlike Nintendo

Snoopy said:
Nintendo is doomed and there isn't much they can do unless they pull a miracle. Xbox one is selling way too fast and gaining more and more momentum.

XBox has no momentum outside of the US market. Nintendo has more global appeal if they'd just stop making sh*tty hardware and gambling the farm on gimmicks rather than sound, appealling hardware design. 

I think they need to pivot back and acknowledge to some degree that they do need to compete head on. 

Simply handing over the entire core market to Sony and MS is just not a workable solution in my opinion, because basically your only other recourse that's left is to then bank on a gimmick miracle, and that's basically gambling. 

Microsoft CAN be beaten by Nintendo if they released a much better piece of hardware (not hard considering the XB1 was a weak piece of kit even for 2013) and make more inroads globally. 

Snoopy said:
Nintendo is doomed and there isn't much they can do unless they pull a miracle. Xbox one is selling way too fast and gaining more and more momentum.

Do you realise that Nintendo is making money even with console that has terrible sales like Wii U!? Nintendo is well know that they can make profit from anything and they always operate with profit (they had loose just in two years in their entire history). On other hand MS with Xbox division loses more money than they earned.

Maybe is Microsoft who needs to go for the kill, and celebrate the launch of NX with discounts, sales, and crazy deals.

They have the money, and Xbox One will have a very good library when NX arrives. Maybe Microsoft sould focus on wrecking Nintendo, and buy them later. I would do it if I were Nadella.

Tim and The Princes...

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Snoopy said:

Do you realise that Nintendo is making money even with console that has terrible sales like Wii U!? Nintendo is well know that they can make profit from anything and they always operate with profit (they had loose just in two years in their entire history). On other hand MS with Xbox division loses more money than they earned.

That's what I was meaning, Nintendo lives in their own little bubble and marches to its own drummer, but they are very conservative and savvy. They know how to keep the profit going. I only worry that since the handheld market is forever changed, Nintendo is going to have to really reassess their strategy. They did marvelous with the 3DS selling a third of the DS and Wii U a tenth of the Wii and still turned around a profit. They didn't slash the Wii U price, they released the amiibo and have been very smart when and where they advertise. Still it is going to be interesting what they next move is. I already wrote a long post early to this thread. A hybrid that developers make one game for both console and handheld might be interesting - if it turns out to truly be some sort of hybrid...out of the box. 

Soundwave said:
Snoopy said:

XBox has no momentum outside of the US market. Nintendo has more global appeal if they'd just stop making sh*tty hardware and gambling the farm on gimmicks rather than sound, appealling hardware design. 

I think they need to pivot back and acknowledge to some degree that they do need to compete head on. 

Simply handing over the entire core market to Sony and MS is just not a workable solution in my opinion, because basically your only other recourse that's left is to then bank on a gimmick miracle, and that's basically gambling. 

Microsoft CAN be beaten by Nintendo if they released a much better piece of hardware (not hard considering the XB1 was a weak piece of kit even for 2013) and make more inroads globally. 

Are u sure Nintendo has more global appeal? Nintendo has always been primarily about America+Japan, Wii is the only home console to be a big success outside of those 2 regions.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Are u sure Nintendo has more global appeal? Nintendo has always been primarily about America+Japan, Wii is the only home console to be a big success outside of those 2 regions.

France and Germany (two of three larger Euro markets) seem Nintendo friendly, France especially. Nintendo franchises are popular there. They just won't accept a crappy Nintendo console however. 

UK is a tough one for Nintendo, but they could make inroads there too if they are smart and have better hardware than XB1. 

They should consider teaming up with EA to make a FIFA-Mario crossover game (ie: sorta like the Mario Soccer series but have other popular footballers like Messi, Ronaldo, etc. as playable characters too). 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

France and Germany (two of three larger Euro markets) seem Nintendo friendly, France especially. Nintendo franchises are popular there. They just won't accept a crappy Nintendo console however. 

UK is a tough one for Nintendo, but they could make inroads there too if they are smart and have better hardware than XB1. 

They should consider teaming up with EA to make a FIFA-Mario crossover game (ie: sorta like the Mario Soccer series but have other popular footballers like Messi, Ronaldo, etc. as playable characters too). 

So NES & SNES were crappy consoles? They each did about 8 million in Europe, N64 did a little over 5 million, GameCube did around 4 million and Wii U is on track to do even less than that. Wii is the only Nintendo home console to do significant numbers in Europe.

Nintendo handhelds however have done well, Gameboy did around 40 million, GBA did over 20 million, DS did over 50 million, and 3DS is on track to do around 20 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
halo is not declining , sorry that's your personal opinion, just like I think its just fine. I firmly think in the end its sales will be their.
I also think Nintendo doesn't want to compete with anyone with power, they always just do their own thing and because of that they never will get the 3rd party support that is needed to reclaim the news, devs and worldwide support for a return to the old days for them. I would like that to happen but I think Nintendo doesn't want to truly go all in anymore.

Zhuge is one of the God-tier sales gurus btw.

I'm not sure how anyone could deny that Halo is declining. Halo 4 was down attach-rate-wise to Halo 3 but still achieved very good sales. Halo 5 has sold incredibly poorly compared to Halo 2, 3, and 4 (data on Halo 1 sales are harder to come by, and it's unfair to judge a new IP the same way).