By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake is episodic

Kowan said:

Making up stuff? I'm speculating like everyone here is doing, like what you are doing. FF7R will NOT have "episodes" comparable to those of TWD nor LIS. That is impossible and just not compatible with a game like FF7. If they really include everything in the storyline off ff7 then yes one part could go as long as 40 hours. The original game's 1st disc could already take up to 20 hours. Imagine that but made like how modern rpgs are today, do you seriously think it would still be just 20 hours or so? Specially if they add more to the story? They also have not announced how many these so-called episodes(they might not even be episodes). They could only release 2 parts of the whole game for all we know.

The way they have phrased the interviews, your speculation is completely off, which is where my criticism comes from. You've basically taken "it will be multiple parts" and "expanded areas", and crafted a large theory about how this will be some uncomparable epic taking us on this massive journey across 100+ hours of gameplay for the story alone. Sorry, but are we thinking of different developers here? Do we have two entirely different grasps of the cost of a project of that scope?

You can guarantee that unless potential profits are god damn magnificent, SE isn't going to approve something like that. Even Nomura will have to reign things in. Even then, if you are expecting a 40+ hour RPG to be produced a year on the level everybody is expecting, then your grasp on modern game development as a whole must be nonexistent. The fact is, recreating and maintaining the approximate 60 hour RPG would likely take 3+ years of development, and cost in the neighborhood of $150 million, if not much, much more.

You are letting your desires take over your expectations, and it's creating little more than an unrealistic, ideal scenario that will never happen.

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
Kowan said:

Making up stuff? I'm speculating like everyone here is doing, like what you are doing. FF7R will NOT have "episodes" comparable to those of TWD nor LIS. That is impossible and just not compatible with a game like FF7. If they really include everything in the storyline off ff7 then yes one part could go as long as 40 hours. The original game's 1st disc could already take up to 20 hours. Imagine that but made like how modern rpgs are today, do you seriously think it would still be just 20 hours or so? Specially if they add more to the story? They also have not announced how many these so-called episodes(they might not even be episodes). They could only release 2 parts of the whole game for all we know.

The way they have phrased the interviews, your speculation is completely off, which is where my criticism comes from. You've basically taken "it will be multiple parts" and "expanded areas", and crafted a large theory about how this will be some uncomparable epic taking us on this massive journey across 100+ hours of gameplay for the story alone. Sorry, but are we thinking of different developers here? Do we have two entirely different grasps of the cost of a project of that scope?

You can guarantee that unless potential profits are god damn magnificent, SE isn't going to approve something like that. Even Nomura will have to reign things in. Even then, if you are expecting a 40+ hour RPG to be produced a year on the level everybody is expecting, then your grasp on modern game development as a whole must be nonexistent. The fact is, recreating and maintaining the approximate 60 hour RPG would likely take 3+ years of development, and cost in the neighborhood of $150 million, if not much, much more.

You are letting your desires take over your expectations, and it's creating little more than an unrealistic, ideal scenario that will never happen.

The fact is they have yet to announce when the game is going to be released. It could be in 3 years or so and they've already spent how many years in developing it? THe footage they've shown does not show a game that was just made months ago. That already had more than a year of development in it. And when did i say it will be a 100 or 200 hour journey on the story alone? See, you're the one making up stuff now. I said it will be huge and it is too big and it is. You seem to be basing your assumptions on the original game when remaking it and making it a proper and full remake would mean expanding the world like as if it was a world you are exploring, like how todays rpgs are. Midgar in the original literally just took just a few loading screens to explore. It will not be the same in the remake. They are going full force with this remake, they said that:

"Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into "episodes""

"Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking."

Also:

"and SquareEnix says FF7 Remake's data size so huge; the software will be split into several titles (for example, FF7-Remake 1, FF7-Remake 2)"

So I don't think they're going to hold out on their budget for this. They already know the risks theyre taking remaking FF7 into a modern day current gen RPG.  Separating it into 2 or more parts will also help with the development costs and time.

In the end, if you don't want to expect  as much as the other person from this then you are free to do so. But don't push anyone else who are expecting big things from it away from their own expectations.

BasilZero said:
think-man said:
And there goes my hype. Rip

Prepare to revive your hype with this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211022&page=2#8

Sup women, your link just took me to the home page xD

This is going to end up being one of the biggest gaming disappointments of all time, just watch.

Kotastic said:

LOL WHY

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Prepare to revive your hype with this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=211022&page=2#8

Link takes you to VGC homepage?

If this is what i imagine, that the main game will be split in 2 or 3 episodes(could be that they are planning to make sequels after the original game and maybe thats what they mean), then I am really pissed at Square.Good god, WHY do that?Wont be buying day 1 anymore, gonna wait till its everything one package and even then... Though that the gameplay would turn me off, so when it didnt, Square had to fuck things up with another thing

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

thought so they try this with a bigger game after life is strange turned out to be a success. since good jrpgs are or at least should have a heavy storyfocus anyway, episodic might be a good idea for the future of this genre.

This is total fucking bullshit. I swear, the 8th gen is fucking trash.

Fuck off, I'm not going to buy another shitty trilogy Square Enix.
I'll wait for the complete edition or just bought all of them used and cheap.

Really deceiving, if they do the same with FFXV I'm done with the series.