By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake is episodic

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

"Businesses exist to make money" doesn't justify them doing it in despicable ways.

Again, let the customers determine that! 

Every publisher has done something what we'd consider to be despicable so who's NOT guilty out there ? 

You know what, I'm just going to stop now, cos one of my resolutions in coming back to this forum was to avoid exactly these kind of negative discussions. They were one of the reasons I left to begin with.

Carry on.

I guess this means i'll never play Final Fantasy VII. Original too low-poly, remake too stupid.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

"Businesses exist to make money" doesn't justify them doing it in despicable ways.

Again, let the customers determine that! 

Every publisher has done something what we'd consider to be despicable so who's NOT guilty out there ? 

So then you should applaud the discussion that is within this thread then. Isn't it better that customers react before the game is released so that SE is forced to listen to the fanbase, rather than to react with their wallet AFTER is has been released?

Around the Network
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

It would have been better if they said DLC would be available as extra story if we chose to buy it.  Also I just realized, considering the size of this game, there's no way that many people will be waiting arond for each part to download via digital.  It would take far too long.  In that case, jeez are they actually considering FF7-2?

Aside of that, we really can't trust Nomura when it comes to story.  He's yet to prove himself as a story writer without Sakaguchi grounding him.  We'd get crap like AC or Dirge of Cerberus with Nomura having free reign.  Crisis Core was ok, but that was mostly Tabata.  Genesis was a very unnecessary character and that was all Nomura.

I'm probably not making myself clear but here goes ... 

I think some of that extra content is directly integrated to the main plot so I'm not exactly sure how you can do DLC for those. Maybe for side quests but I don't think it's possible for extra cutscenes and other stuff ... 

I especially don't trust Nomura when it comes to story seeing how huge of a clusterfuck KH is but I have faith that they won't detract from the main plot ...

Kinda disappointed hearing this news.

It must be pretty massive, and draining to their money/resources for them to go this route for the game. Sure they could have done a remaster with pretty graphics, and trophy/achievement support, but how well would it have sold to casuals? Most hardcore gamers would have bought it.

SE have so many projects going on, this feels like how Konami released MG ground zeroes to recoup money, because of the long development cycle of MGSV.

I have a bad feeling this is going to become the norm for a lot of games. Square-Enix probably knows once they play this remake card, that that's it for FF7, so they're going to want to milk this and stretch it out as long as possible.

Puppyroach said:

So then you should applaud the discussion that is within this thread then. Isn't it better that customers react before the game is released so that SE is forced to listen to the fanbase, rather than to react with their wallet AFTER is has been released?

This community hardly represents what the reality of the market desires and SE doesn't have powers to read their customers minds either ... 

BraLoD said:
Hiku said:

In that case, perhaps it will be like the original game? 3 Discs.

FFVIIR
FFVIIR-2
FFVIIR-3

There is other stuff in that Soriku post, it saying episodes and more than one game so it can be at full.
It does really sound like FF7 Remake, will be spawing more than one game, like you said, 7-2, 7-3. But that won't come together, there is even saying "if we tried to do one release".

It'll probably take at least 3 years for the game to be full remade, after the initial launch, they are probably aiming for a yearly episode model.
That just in the end, after years, will actually achieve a full remake of FF7.

This is no disc split, it's content release split, they will make it piece by piece while this generations flows.

Which makes me actually concerned if'll even have a FF16 this gen.

XV at 2016, VII-1 at 2017, VII-2 at 2018, VII-3 at 2019.

This remake may cost us the whole gen which just a single new FF game.

Even as XV seems awesome, I'm very worried now.

Square has more than 1 development team, they can work on FF XVI paralel to FFVII R. Id be very disapointed if we dont get FFXVI this gen. What they said about the episodic thing seens actualy a good thing, and thinking about it theyre probably right about the scope of the game being too big for 1 release, Midgar alone is probably the size of Novigrad (from Witcher 3), and them you throw all the land in the world, forests, seas , caves, underwater segments, Gold Saucer, Junon, Cosmo Canyon, Calm Town, Costa del Sol etc. With todays graphics and scope of things FFVII world would be ginormous, so if they realy are splitting this os they can actualy give us everythign in the original the proper way Im game. I just wonder if the games will be completly separate entitys or if they will be parts of a same game, the way they worded it I think itll be the later. I can see Midgar comming as soon as 2016 (if they decide to release the Midgar part as 1 separate part, wich would make sense), also explain why the trailer only had Midgar in it.