By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards 2015 Best Developer and GOTY.

Would've been equally weird to give the developer of the year to someone other than the developer of the GOTY.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:

I think there's a bit of a disconnect between the criteria for best developer and the relation to GOTY. Being a great developer doesn't necessarily mean that you're making the next GOTY. Being a good developer means making quality titles, making regular efforts to listen to the community to improve the final product, and having consumer friendly DLC practices in an age where DLC of some kind is a given with every big budget title.

It just so happens that CD Projekt Red made an incredible game, and then went on to be an example for basically every other developer by providing free DLC, expansive, inexpensive paid DLC, and listening to the community to provide patches to the base content that offered improvements in all the right places.

This is one year where best developer and GOTY happened to walk hand in hand, but just because CD Projekt Red was a super consumer friendly developer this year doesn't mean that another game couldn't have won GOTY. We all knew that The Witcher 3 was an incredibly strong contender though, and it was basically guaranteed as GOTY unless something could manage to dethrone it. Ultimately though, nothing did throughout the year on a critical level, and thus, the best developer of the year also happened to produce the best game of the year.

Edit: @OP - You seem to think that best developer requires game volume, which I see as odd. Why should a developer have to divide their resources and risk lesser products for the sake of praise at an award show? Should every director have to direct multiple movies a year to be best director? Every musical artist have to put out multiple albums in a year to be the best artist? That is just dumb criteria that values quantity over quality.

You make fair points, I just think the whole question of Game of the Year gets ruined when several awards earlier they announce that CD Projekt Red gets developer of the year. Part of the hype of an award show is to see what wins, which is all ruined for the big award if it's spelled out half way through. Maybe I would have less of a problem if they were revealed back to back. And BELIEVE me, I do not think a developer with more games should inheritenly get Dev of the year for it. The only one with more than two games there was Nintendo, and Splatoon and Mario Maker aside, this was their weakest year in a VEERY long time.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

vivster said:
Would've been equally weird to give the developer of the year to someone other than the developer of the GOTY.

I don't dissagree with that sentiment. I just find the idea of the seperate Developer of the Year award to be too close in criteria to the Game of the Year, especially when those developers are the developers of the Game of the Year nominees. They're basically getting nominated for the exact same thing twice.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Megaoverlord12 said:
vivster said:
Would've been equally weird to give the developer of the year to someone other than the developer of the GOTY.

I don't dissagree with that sentiment. I just find the idea of the seperate Developer of the Year award to be too close in criteria to the Game of the Year, especially when those developers are the developers of the Game of the Year nominees. They're basically getting nominated for the exact same thing twice.

It shouldn't be Developer of the year but actually Game Director of the year. Because you can be a great Director/Designer without creating the GOTY due to budget constraints.

Actually games should have the same categories as movies with sound design, art, writing, directing etc.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Megaoverlord12 said:
vivster said:

It shouldn't be Developer of the year but actually Game Director of the year. Because you can be a great Director/Designer without creating the GOTY due to budget constraints.

Actually games should have the same categories as movies with sound design, art, writing, directing etc.

That's an idea I can get behind. Another idea would be not making the awards an afterthought, like they were at the show.

Around the Network

It's fine to have 2 of these categories since it's well deserved despite it being redundant :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Going further, can you consider "Nintendo" a developer? They are a publisher. They have several development teams. It's not like any single of those development teams have released more than one game this year.

To me it seems unfair to compare the combined software output of several inhouse development teams a publisher owns, to the output of single teams from other publishers.

Teeqoz said:

Going further, can you consider "Nintendo" a developer? They are a publisher. They have several development teams. It's not like any single of those development teams have released more than one game this year.

To me it seems unfair to compare the combined software output of several inhouse development teams a publisher owns, to the output of single teams from other publishers.

I do consider a studio that is owned by Nintendo, like Retro or Monolith, as part of a Nintendo internal studio.They after all belong to Nintendo.I see Monolith and retro names more of a teams name, rather than a "separate" studio.And I think its fair.The developer award is meant to see who has the better input/quality throught the year, no matter the size.Its not meant to be "fair".

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

They deserve it!

t3mporary_126 said:
It's the same reason why Oscars have best film and best director.

Which made me realize we don't have the best game designer in game awards.

Even worse, they don't have Best Quality Assurance Lead.