By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Will Star Wars The Force Awakens earn more than Gone With The Winds inflated gross?

Wonktonodi said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Wonktonodi said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Wonktonodi said:

He's talking about world wide since he said 3.4 billion for gone with the wind. Where avatar is number 2 since it did over 2 billion outside the US. 

Now if you want to talk about just the top ten in the us never changing. The number 5 movie on that list came out in my lifetime and several others on that list have been released in my lifetime as well so that hardly makes a list that never changes.

The newest movie came out in 1997. The next newest movie, 1982. The reason why it'll never change is because people don't go to the movies like they use to. It's about trends, cultural trends. The movies are never going to reach the height that they were pre-internet.

I don'y think never means what you think it means

Never... as in... until the end of time. It will never happen.

The list had changed plenty of times even in the 2000s many of those top ten have changed places with relealeases, it will change again, be it from a rerelease of a movie just outside the 10 or some future phenomenon who knows.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing lol. There isn't a movie that will be made going forward that will crack the top ten, adjusted US list.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing lol. There isn't a movie that will be made going forward that will crack the top ten, adjusted US list.

you first said the top ten list as is would stay the same forever. I first pointed out how it changed withseveral new movies in the last 30 years since those were obvious flaws to your statement. Even taking those out, the list changes with rerelease more recently Titanic

If you amended your statemtn to just be that no new movie will ever enter the top 10. I'd think that likely but not guarenteeed. 10 years ago how likely was it that another movie would break into the top 15? Then Avatar came out and is number 14, Jurassic world just got to 23 this year, so it's possible if something big enough comes along.

All of this though being domestic.

World Wide I do expect Gone with the wind to eventually fall, mainly beacuse of the expanding markets and extras of Imax and 3d not because of total ticket sales.

SpokenTruth said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
SpokenTruth said:

That's domestic only. 

That's all I was refering to.

He wasn't. 

Lawlight said:
The Phantom Menace couldn't even beat Jurassic Park when it came out and JP was out for 6 years by then.

Domestically:
JP - $403 million
TPM - $474 million

World Wide:
JP - $1,029.2 million
TPM - $1,027.0 million

And The Phantom Menace was hampered by poor citical reviews and word of mouth. 

Also, TPM got a re-release which added more than $100M to its gross. So, that plus inflation made it much less of a phenomenon than JP back then.

Like everybody said in here, it won't beat Avatar even.
But the real question is, can Avatar II beat the Avatar I ?
Probably not.

Lawlight said:

Also, TPM got a re-release which added more than $100M to its gross. So, that plus inflation made it much less of a phenomenon than JP back then.

JP also got a rerelease (in 2013) that added 45million in the US alone  116milliom WW TPH rerelease in 12 added 43.4 million in the US 102 WW

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
Lawlight said:

JP also got a rerelease (in 2013) that added 45million in the US alone  116milliom WW TPH rerelease in 12 added 43.4 million in the US 102 WW

Source for that? I'm reading $65M. Still, JP was a bigger movie than SW. We'll see if JP will beat SW again this year.

it won't. It will be somewhere between 1,5 and 2 billions.

Maybe half that at best?

SpokenTruth said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Do you realize that all the projections are suggesting a $1 bilion domestic take?  

That would put it 9th all time with a few more spots easily in reach.

Who the hell projects 1billion domestic!?!?! Why not just predict 1 trillion world wide why don't you. Avatar did 700 million domestic  and that's the most ever. I want to see a link to this bull shit projections.

It'll pass the 3 billion mark for sure