By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Blu Ray wings getting clipped?? 15 Minute HD Movie Downloads

gebx said:
@ KingofWale - Neither, both are not the target for HDTV and movies

@ Dragonlord - Then how is adding an Apple TV box on top and letting them choose a movie to watch that far fetched??

@ Dogsrules - You're right, physical media will still exist, but no way near the way DVD ruled. Yeah, urban density in South Dakota is low, but you're ignoring all the major cities. The places where yuppies who buy movies and HDTV's live. Also who cares if no one in Africa or India has access to high speed internet because they're probably going to be on VHS's and DVD's for the next decade anyways.

I agree and i hope HD downloads becomes the norm, but i do not think it will happen soon.

Around the Network

For me, the jump to BD was free. I didn’t buy a PS3 to watch movies, and I already had a Netflix account. All I had to do was set it up to send the BD if that movie was out on it, and I was done. Painless, free, and I watch movies the same way I did before.

So the upgrade path to BD over Digital DL is a lot easier for most. Also, the device you buy will also play DVD’s. Apple TV, and the other half a dozen devises currently available do not play DVD’s. the only one I know of that does is the 360, and personally I don’t find it reliable enough to feel safe using it as my primary movie player. Also it’s loud, and while for most games that’s no big deal, for movies it is.

Additionally, I think Digital Downloads will fail for the same reason Divix did. People just don’t trust corporations, and with the DRM and internet connectivity, the companies you use ultimately have control over the media you watch.

Ironically, BD can limit you the same way, it’s just not as publicly known (and it’s only possible if you connect your BD player to the internet.)

Lastly, I have a personal question for you gebx. If HD-DVD had won, and Sony was releasing digital download movies for the PS3, would you have created this thread?

kn said:
Too much fanboy in here. Look at Itunes as a model. It is put a serious dent in physical media sales for music. Period. No matter how you look at it, the days of walking into a music store for a CD are numbered as pretty much every home PC sold these days has at least a CD burner if not a DVD burner.

Video will follow. Soon. As long as I can download a movie to watch and keep it long enough to go back to it if I want -- say a couple of weeks or so -- I'll be interested in D/L the movie. If I want to keep it, I want the option to burn it and keep it. That, of course, will require some DRM facility...

As mentioned above, this thread isn't about MS. The 360 isn't capable of beating blu-ray on it's own. Media Center (or similar media management software), plus high-speed internet, plus available content do have the ability to kill or seriously dent the growth of HD physical media sales. Those that don't believe this is in the very near term are delusional.

Okay, let's look at music downloads in the US (the largest and one of the most developed markets).

In 2007, digital downloads made up less than a third of total music sales. That sounds fairly significant, but you have to take into consideration that these are mostly singles sales. Album sales are the most profitable for the industry, and currently digital downloads only represent about 10% of album sales in the US. You also have to bear in mind that despite people constantly talking about the decline of the industry, sales have actually increased since Napster made music downloads popular. Physical album sales have not seen any significant decline at all over the last decade, only single sales.

Let's say an album is about 100MB and HD movie about 5GB. That means that if movie downloads follow the pattern of album downloads AND internet speeds increase by 50x in the next 5 years, HD movie downloads may make up about 10% of movie sales by that time. This is an extremely optimistic view from the POV of DD.

Of course, the popularity of music downloads has largely been facilitated by the integration of the leading download service with a little fashion accessory you may have heard of called the iPod.

Therefore, I think it's safe to say that people expecting digital downloads to cripple Blu-ray are the ones that are delusional.

As for the fanboy comment, I should point out that I do not own a PS3, a Blu-ray player or an HDTV and that I already download most of my movies. Of course, after I have downloaded them, I burn them onto a DVD. In 5 years time I will be downloading them and burning them to Blu-ray. DD will not trump optical media in the near future, if ever. 

TheRealMafoo said:
For me, the jump to BD was free. I didn’t buy a PS3 to watch movies, and I already had a Netflix account. All I had to do was set it up to send the BD if that movie was out on it, and I was done. Painless, free, and I watch movies the same way I did before.

So the upgrade path to BD over Digital DL is a lot easier for most. Also, the device you buy will also play DVD’s. Apple TV, and the other half a dozen devises currently available do not play DVD’s. the only one I know of that does is the 360, and personally I don’t find it reliable enough to feel safe using it as my primary movie player. Also it’s loud, and while for most games that’s no big deal, for movies it is.

Additionally, I think Digital Downloads will fail for the same reason Divix did. People just don’t trust corporations, and with the DRM and internet connectivity, the companies you use ultimately have control over the media you watch.

Ironically, BD can limit you the same way, it’s just not as publicly known (and it’s only possible if you connect your BD player to the internet.)

Lastly, I have a personal question for you gebx. If HD-DVD had won, and Sony was releasing digital download movies for the PS3, would you have created this thread?

I don't know, probably not. or I would of wrote something like "Sony failed to perform, tries again with Virgin" ??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Auron said:
gebx said:
@ KingofWale - Neither, both are not the target for HDTV and movies

@ Dragonlord - Then how is adding an Apple TV box on top and letting them choose a movie to watch that far fetched??

@ Dogsrules - You're right, physical media will still exist, but no way near the way DVD ruled. Yeah, urban density in South Dakota is low, but you're ignoring all the major cities. The places where yuppies who buy movies and HDTV's live. Also who cares if no one in Africa or India has access to high speed internet because they're probably going to be on VHS's and DVD's for the next decade anyways.

I agree and i hope HD downloads becomes the norm, but i do not think it will happen soon.

Then you will run into a number of problems.

#1. As it stands right now an HD movie from LIVE costs you $5-7 for only a 24 hour veiwing period. 14 days if you never select play. Can you say "rip off"?

#2. As it stand right now numerous ISP providers such as Verizon, Cablevision, etc... and possibly in other countries as well besides the US are looking into Download packages, prices you based on what you expect to download per month. You want 15GB of downloads? Possibly 5-6 movies or even worse... not even 1 game, would cost you $14.99 a month at the least if your lucky. Now you need to increase that, these company now have complete control, charging you whatever they want, whenever they want.

Look at it this way, I know alot of older people who love to sit at home and watch movies. They don't care for computers or the internet, remember, not everyone thinks the way we do. Do this and not only does everything become more expensive, but now you are pretty much forcing internet connection onto everyone... very bad scenerio, then you now force computer purchases on many people. All I see is "forced, forced, forced", Paying huge amounts while in the end, actually "owning" nothing for all the money you spent.

DRM issues, this I will not even try to get into. Good luck trying to back up anything. You will own nothing, no chance at a solid backup. Your kids want to watch a movie... you going to let them disconnect the player to bring it upstairs so they can watch too? Think again, they will need their own box and a 2nd purchase of something you already paid for.

The reasons are endless. If someone really wants this, it is due in my opinion to 2 reasons.

#1. Does not mind pissing away their money on things they weill never own, no difference between doing this and people paying for WoW gold online. Yet how many of you will call them stupid for wasting their money on it? Be honest.

#2. Too god damn lazy to leave the house and pick up a $1 rental from RedBox or use that same $14.99 for Netflix, or maybe just take a damn trip to the video store. 

Not only do these save everyone alot of money, but why pay $10 for something you will never own when $5 gets you a hard copy that you have all rights to do whatever you wish with?

As gamers... this will end up hurting the industry badly as many of use will not be able to afford to game anymore. 1 25GB game a month + 6 movies for the family... 40GB connection... last I saw when I read the article... this is a $40-50 a month plan, now increase it from 20MB to a 50MB connection... OUCH. That is only if you play 1 game a month... play 2 or possibly 3... most of us would end up broke.

Only the wealthy would support this... one of the reason why soon in my area the only people you will have is rich or poor... no more middle class. It is all thanks to shit like this.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I don't think RENTALS are going to do a damned thing to Blu-ray. Wake me up when they have a level of quality that can even approach Blu-ray and you can actually own the movies.

Euphoria14's post made me think of another aspect: Kids.

Kids love to watch their favorite movies over and over again. (They've been trained by shows like teletubies to say "again" at the end of a clip ;) ) You could not do that with a time limited download. Ask a parent how many times their 4-6yo has watched their favorite movie.

You gotta watch out for this kind of stuff with "HD".

heres a good read on it.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/zdnet011808.htm

The reason that these "HD" downloads are so quick to do is because they are composed of very low bitrates. Trust me upconverted DVD looks better than these "HD" downloads. When there is even a fair amount of motion in the picture looks like shit. These things IMO can't even compete with DVD in terms of quality, much less blu-ray.

@Euphoria14

I did not say the current idea for HD downloads was good i said the idea of HD downloads is good. Maybe not the rip-off way MS wants to do it but the idea is great on its own.

Auron said:
@Euphoria14

I did not say the current idea for HD downloads was good i said the idea of HD downloads is good. Maybe not the rip-off way MS wants to do it but the idea is great on its own.

Then you agree their is no problem in people spending their money on WoW gold? It is the same exact thing. You spending your money on something you will never own. The companies own it, they have the rights to it, you pay out the ass just for a chance to have it as data on some stupid machine.Your movie player breaks... you buy a new one, now you are stuck with a very BIG CHOICE.

A. Download your movies again and pay out the ass for these ISP download packages... your movies will possibly be free since you paid before, but your ISP provider won't care.

or

B. Not download the movies to save movie and prove my point on why this is such a bad idea.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!