By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - At what point does a game's length becomes an issue?

Everything in moderation. This is why semi open world (non sandbox open world) games are the best :)

Lube Me Up

Around the Network

In my opinion, it becomes a problem when you have to grind. I have no clue how people enjoy traditional grinding. Hours and hours and hours of mindless button mashing just so you can continue the story? No thanks.

As long as it doesn´t get repetitive I don´t have issues with long games

tokilamockingbrd said:
If it is less than 10 hours long for full price you would actually get more entertainment hours per dollar going to see 5 different movies at the theater. I know dollar per hour is a bit rudimentary but if a game cannot give more dollars per hour than going to a theater and watching a movie that is too little.

Personally it depends on the genre. If its an RPG I expect at least 50 hours out of it. However if it is a high production value story driven game I am fine with 20-30 hours (Tomb Raider, Uncharted, TLOU, etc). There are a few games for me that were on the cust, Infamous:SS is not exactly what I consider to be story driven, it lasted maybe 25 hours for me, but those 25 hours were such a blast I was cool with it.

My standards (for full priced games)
under 10- Unacceptable. If it is less than 10 hours drop the price.
10-20- Generally unacceptable, it better be the most amazing 15 hours I have ever had or drop the price
20-30- Fine for high production value games
30-40- Open world games, like Farcry, AC, Batman, etc should at min fall in this window. They do not offer the story driven cinematic experiance, but typically have a very good story and content offsets the lack of elite story
40-50- Open world games, with lessor story. MGS5 was a perfect example of this category it gave me about 55 hours. FPS multiplayer games. If I buy a MP focused game I was to get a least 40 hours out of it. Right Now I am at 49 hours for SW BF so to me it has met the value mark.
50+ RPGs. Tales Games, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, The Witcher, Dragon Age, etc. They all typically have zero issues reaching this on for me. Most of the time they go over 100 hours. closer to 200 if I decided to plat.

Really interesting bit about price per hour and I have thought about it a bit myself.

To the OP:  In defence of my GOTY runner up, The Order 1866 (yes really), it was more like 7+ hours. Maybe 5-6 hours on my second playthrough. I was finished with it in 2 days but it was great.

And I might reiterate, there isn't so much a bad length as a bad priice.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

When you stop playing for a day and come back only to forget what the hell you were doing in the first place.

Around the Network

The length is not an issue as long as I'm having fun!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

If I can beat it in a single sitting on a day I'm casually playing a game, it is far to short.

I've stayed up nearly two days in a row and beat Lunar the Silver Star for Sega CD, but being I actually put in around 30+ hours it was satisfying.

I've beaten Ryse SoR in a single sitting before I was going to go out on a Saturday with friends, That was too short.

I tend to compare hour/$ value in games with TV shows, which fall into $4/hour (or $3/45min) - this translates into 15 hours for $60 game.

Of course, if it's a great experience and/or if it has good replayability I'm more than willing to bend this self-imposed hour/$ guideline.

I like to play a handful games for a long time, so it becomes a problem when it's too short if I bought it at full price.. though if it's short, as long as there is good replayability then it's fine...

You can beat Disgaea DS in like chapter 3 :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I've noticed a pattern with myself, I play mostly RPGs but I've noticed once it hits the 70th hour (give or take) my playtimes start to go down as the game starts failing to keep me gripped. Usually if it hits the 90th hour and it still isn't done and there's another game out I'm interested in then I'll simply stop playing and move onto another game (I'll end up coming back to the previous game to finish it at a later point).
I think the only Rpg that's kept me going past that it Takes Of Graces F, in which I played for 140 hrs before finishing.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website