By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon US December monthly bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

I am not sure the price drop in December was planned from the start. Black Friday and typical holiday sales were probably planned, but they probably thought to do the big deals in December when they adjusted their prediction for PS4 in the FY2015. MS seems a little off guard as well.

Around the Network

That PS4 beast!

Farsala said:
I am not sure the price drop in December was planned from the start. Black Friday and typical holiday sales were probably planned, but they probably thought to do the big deals in December when they adjusted their prediction for PS4 in the FY2015. MS seems a little off guard as well.

It was. As I said before, reducing the SW bundle close to the movie was a no brainer. Plus, it already had a (very) limited 329 deal on eBay in November. Keeping the price at 400 the whole year and only dropping 50 in October was also a way to ensure that this 300 price point would be extra effective and have a concentrated boost (somewhat like MS's fake temporary cut last year).

SCEA is doing what SCEE did from the very start in the UK, to keep up with MS's attempts at undercutting and steal market share away. That's why Ps4 won last year's holiday in the UK, while SCEA was basically sleeping all the way through those two months. Glad to see they learned their lesson.

BTW someone on GAF who works retail hinted MS already has an answer to the cut. It could be an equal cut like BF, or another free game promo like early November.

Farsala said:

Why would MS not knowing of Sony's plans mean Sony didn't have this plan all along.  Sony has been one step ahead all generation.  Also retailer insiders on Gaf have started that they are sitting on tons of SW bundles that they didn't put out for BF.  

gtjay1982 said:
Farsala said:

Why would MS not knowing of Sony's plans mean Sony didn't have this plan all along.  Sony has been one step ahead all generation.  Also retailer insiders on Gaf have started that they are sitting on tons of SW bundles that they didn't put out for BF.  

I didn't imply that they did. Microsoft usually has big plans for holidays, especially last years firesale.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Teeqoz said:
Either the the PS4 is somehow beasting even at 349$, or the hourlies account for a longer time period than my assumed 24 hours. Maybe 72 hours? That's the only way this makes sense to me, because I honestly doubt it's still selling well enough to remain at #1. The arrows work on a 24 hour basis though, so it's odd.

It has to be a longer running average than just 24 hours. Sure, the PS4 was doing ungodly high numbers for the NDC!disc bundle to be able to get to #23 in the yearly rankings already, but sales had to have dipped now that we're over 24 hours past the end of Cyber Monday and the PS4 has gone back to $350. But maybe sales have dipped a lot but not enough to keep it from falling from the #1 spot. I guess we'll find out as the week progresses.

But once the regular PS4 bundles do go back to $300, I wonder if MS will follow suit with a similar deal for at least the Gears bundle. The PS4 winning December is probably guaranteed anyway, but a whole week of the PS4 being at $300 and the XBO being at $350 will result in an even more lopsided win.

Yeah, like I said, I think it could be 72 hours, or 48 hours. But the arrows are 24 hours, and that's easily confirmable (is that even a word? ). When the PSN cards inevitably eventually rises to the top, we just have to see when their green up arrows dissappear. I've done so in the past, and it takes 24 hours, so that has to be it. But the charts themselves might very well be for a longer period.

5 Hours since last update:

#01 PS4 Nathan Drake Bundle (same)
#02 WiiU Mario Kart Bundle (up 1)
#07 XB1 Gears Bundle (same)
#17 PS4 Star Wars Standard Bundle (up 3)
#18 XB1 Three Games Bundle (down 1)

PS4 - 4 bundles, 2 in the top 100
XB1 - 11 bundles, 2 in the top 100

XB1 Deals:
Halo + Forza + FIFA Bundle ($499)
Three Games + FIFA Steelbook ($399)
Gears + FIFA Steelbook ($399)
Halo LE Bundle ($477)
Kinect + Three Games ($429)

PS4 Deals:
50% Off 1 Years PS+
Coming 6th:
Star Wars Bundle ($300)
Nathan Drake Bundle ($300)

WiiU Deals:
WiiU Mario Kart ($250)

The PS5 Exists. 

Considering how well the NDC bundle is selling now,it bodes well for Uncharted 4 and PS4 next year. I guess 2016 will be the peak year for PS4 sales.

Shadow1980 said:

Current Hourly Rankings (change since GG's last update 3 hours ago)

PS4 NDC (disc) bundle: #1 (—)
Wii U MK8 bundle: #3 (↓1)
XBO Gears bundle: #7 (↓3)
XBO 1TB 3-game bundle: #17 (↓1)
PS4 Star Wars basic bundle: #20 (↓2)
New 3DS XL: #100 (?)

EDIT: Damn! I keep getting ninja'd. My timing sucks. Eh, well, GG's format is better than my bare-bones offering, anyway.

I like your style, but your timing really sucks

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Roronaa_chan said:
Farsala said:

It was. As I said before, reducing the SW bundle close to the movie was a no brainer. Plus, it already had a (very) limited 329 deal on eBay in November. Keeping the price at 400 the whole year and only dropping 50 in October was also a way to ensure that this 300 price point would be extra effective and have a concentrated boost (somewhat like MS's fake temporary cut last year).

SCEA is doing what SCEE did from the very start in the UK, to keep up with MS's attempts at undercutting and steal market share away. That's why Ps4 won last year's holiday in the UK, while SCEA was basically sleeping all the way through those two months. Glad to see they learned their lesson.

BTW someone on GAF who works retail hinted MS already has an answer to the cut. It could be an equal cut like BF, or another free game promo like early November.

Maybe Sony didn't had enough Stock in USA to justify the cut, so they just coasted... this year they have more inventory for WW and were able to ship unholy amounts to USA and are able to make very big numbers with the price cut.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."