By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese Developers are totally destroying Western Developers in Quality titles so far!

Metroid33slayer said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I think the industry has changed. During the PS2 era, gamers were more hard core. During the 360 era, gamers became both casual (for a time) and dominated by the dreaded dudebro. I think right now, the demographics have shifted back in favor of the people like us. I mean, you have COD, sure. But look at the games that are getting the most hype. Bloodbourne? Would a game like that have mattered during 2006? Probably not.

Nonsense. The ps2 was the king of the casuals, there's a reason it sold over 150 million.

The reason it sold that much is because it was the king of everything and everyone, not the king of casuals.

OT: Business as usual.

Around the Network

witcher 3 is European....

Also I believe it;s the other way around in terms of overall popularity and the amount of devs/games that have been spread out over the years still has Western games and devs being very popular.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

And keep in mind metacritic doesnt even allow japanese reviewers into their score, so they dont even have any kind of support from home like western games have, in fact almost all of metacritic score are western reviewers

Roronaa_chan said:
Metroid33slayer said:

Nonsense. The ps2 was the king of the casuals, there's a reason it sold over 150 million.

The reason it sold that much is because it was the king of everything and everyone, not the king of casuals.

Despite selling over 150 million consoles why did amazing games like shadow of the collossus, ico, dark chronicle, okami, killer 7, yakuza, sly racoon, haunting ground, viewtiful joe, rogue galaxy, silent hill and onimusha sell so poorly? Because most people were interested in the casual crap like all the movie tie-ins, the eyetoy, the next need for speed and fifa. Even metal gear solid 3 snakeater (the best mgs IMO) only managed 4 million. Thats right 4 million for a masterpiece like that which has to be one of the biggest injustices in gaming.

What about the last of us and gtav? I mean those are the highest rated games of the recent years. I know they were launched last gen but they came out alongside with Mario 3d world which is in that list

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
The Witcher 3?
Chazore said:
witcher 3 is European....

Hence "As you can see only one out of the 6 titles to get a 90+ metascore is from a Western Studio."

Ruler said:

And keep in mind metacritic doesnt even allow japanese reviewers into their score, so they dont even have any kind of support from home like western games have, in fact almost all of metacritic score are western reviewers

It does. The reviews have to be in English, but that doesn't means they aren't allowed to. Also, it's not like the Japanese would rank Japanese games higher just because. That disqualifies them as reviewers... so it's nonsense...

Also, yes... PS2, Wii... they were both casual kings and that's the problem with the Xbox brand. People always see it as hardcore, not casual, and they can't shake that reputation without being both, so they are doubly handicapped...

Metroid33slayer said:
Roronaa_chan said:

Despite selling over 150 million consoles why did amazing games like shadow of the collossus, ico, dark chronicle, okami, killer 7, yakuza, sly racoon, haunting ground, viewtiful joe, rogue galaxy, silent hill and onimusha sell so poorly? Because most people were interested in the casual crap like all the movie tie-ins, the eyetoy, the next need for speed and fifa. Even metal gear solid 3 snakeater (the best mgs IMO) only managed 4 million. Thats right 4 million for a masterpiece like that which has to be one of the biggest injustices in gaming.

What bullshit is that?

Xbox 360:

Despite selling over 80 million consoles why did amazing games like "insert some random game that didn't sell"  sell so poorly? Because most people were interested in the casual crap like all the movie tie-ins, halo, the next need for speed and fifa. Even Shenmune 2  (the best shenmune IMO) only managed 0.5 million. Thats right 0.5 million for a masterpiece like that which has to be one of the biggest injustices in gaming.

WiiU:

Despite selling over 10 million consoles why did amazing games like "insert some random game that didn't sell"  sell so poorly? Because most people were interested in the casual crap like all the mario tie-ins, pokemon, the next zelda and luigi. Even Bayonetta 2  (the best Bayonetta IMO) only managed 0.8 million. Thats right 0.8 million for a masterpiece like that which has to be one of the biggest injustices in gaming.

I guess all console ever released were all casual consoles because some random games that didn't sell well exist on every platform that deserved more sales?

I think this is quite a hyperbole. I would say Japanese devs are finally competing with Western devs, as Western devs have been pushing high quality games for some time now, and Japanese devs are finally starting to produce the same kind of quality.

I wouldn't use Meta to determine which side is winning, as they are just a collected group of opinions that can't really determine the quality of these games.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I'm curious as to what the scores of those Nintendo games are if we remove all the Nintendo fan sites.