Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese Developers are totally destroying Western Developers in Quality titles so far!

I think this is quite a hyperbole. I would say Japanese devs are finally competing with Western devs, as Western devs have been pushing high quality games for some time now, and Japanese devs are finally starting to produce the same kind of quality.

I wouldn't use Meta to determine which side is winning, as they are just a collected group of opinions that can't really determine the quality of these games.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

I'm curious as to what the scores of those Nintendo games are if we remove all the Nintendo fan sites.

Destroying? Now that's some wishful thinking, also The Wither 3 was made by Western developers.

Sprash said:
Metroid33slayer said:

Despite selling over 150 million consoles why did amazing games like shadow of the collossus, ico, dark chronicle, okami, killer 7, yakuza, sly racoon, haunting ground, viewtiful joe, rogue galaxy, silent hill and onimusha sell so poorly? Because most people were interested in the casual crap like all the movie tie-ins, the eyetoy, the next need for speed and fifa. Even metal gear solid 3 snakeater (the best mgs IMO) only managed 4 million. Thats right 4 million for a masterpiece like that which has to be one of the biggest injustices in gaming.

What bullshit is that?

Xbox 360:

Despite selling over 80 million consoles why did amazing games like "insert some random game that didn't sell"  sell so poorly? Because most people were interested in the casual crap like all the movie tie-ins, halo, the next need for speed and fifa. Even Shenmune 2  (the best shenmune IMO) only managed 0.5 million. Thats right 0.5 million for a masterpiece like that which has to be one of the biggest injustices in gaming.

WiiU:

Despite selling over 10 million consoles why did amazing games like "insert some random game that didn't sell"  sell so poorly? Because most people were interested in the casual crap like all the mario tie-ins, pokemon, the next zelda and luigi. Even Bayonetta 2  (the best Bayonetta IMO) only managed 0.8 million. Thats right 0.8 million for a masterpiece like that which has to be one of the biggest injustices in gaming.

I guess all console ever released were all casual consoles because some random games that didn't sell well exist on every platform that deserved more sales?

That's exactly the point that i am making. The ps2 was no more hardcore than the 360 or wii u otherwise it's hardcore games would have done better. Glad you agree with me. And you're comparing a console with an install base of 150 m + to a console of 10m lol. Bayonetta 2 selling 0.85m plus digital would have sold around 1m, an attache rate of 10%, this is pretty good for a hardcore title. An awesome game like shadow of colossus not even breaking a million on a 150 million userbase is an attache rate below 0.67 %. So like i said the ps2 being more of a hardcore console than even the the wii u is bollocks.

Legacy said:
Destroying? Now that's some wishful thinking, also The Wither 3 was made by Western developers.

Read the whole thing. As OP writes 1 out of the 6 best rated 8th gen games is Western developed (The Witcher 3).

OT: Japanese games are definitely back in full force.

Around the Network

No they are not, Metacritic scores don't mean shit.

Though I prefer Japanese games more that Western games, I don't really think that is the case...

Western developers do make a lot of hit titles and are still really good..

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread -

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Chazore said:
witcher 3 is European....

Also I believe it;s the other way around in terms of overall popularity and the amount of devs/games that have been spread out over the years still has Western games and devs being very popular.

ya they are Polish.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Ah, Metacritic. I don't even know how to approach arguments based on Metacritic anymore. I mean, when someone tells me that a game is high quality at 90 but a game at 87 is not, because a small sample of online writers liked the first one a bit more ... it just leaves me at a loss for word.

AlfredoTurkey said:
BraLoD said:

The leading system dictates the trend.

The PS1/PS2 were dominant Japanese games eras, mostly mature games, that were dominated by an rather dev friendly japanese company and its systems.

360 lead the 7th gen hardcore gaming by being the dev friendly system and being an North American company it's game style shifted to it, more war, modern thematic games.

Even though the PS3 catched up and the Wii also performed better, the year lead and hardcore US dominance dictated it almost the whole gen.

Now it came back to the PS4, games are going back to being more about mature phantasy, it also remains with the roots from the past gen, but it's showing it's influence.

The same before that as well, Nintendo times being the major system dictated the more soft phantasy thematic that's their focus.

It becomes pretty clear when you look at it this way:

3rd/4th gen: Nintendo influence. Platform domination. Less focus on story and mature themes. Phantasy.

5th/6th gen: Sony influence. Nintendo roots still on 5th gen due transition. RPGs become very relevant. Expansion on genres popularity. Story driven games/ more mature phantasy. Platforms still relevant on 5th gen due Nintendo roots.

7th gen: Microsoft influence. Sony roots still there due to transition/take back. Shooters become huge with American popularity on exploring modern/future war thematics. Genres retracting to focus around this modern influence. Online model expansion and becoming highly relevant, pushed by Live firstly. J RPGs downfall.

8th gen: Sony influence. Microsoft roots still there due to transition. Modern war thematic still relevant because of it. Genres re-expansion. Easily adaptation to mature phantasy comeback. Japanese developers getting way better envyronment to try again.

That's basically the leading/influence company traits being reflected on the envyronment.

Sony influence is expansive as not focused on single/few genres, better for Japanese developers and still attractive for Western too.

Sony model drives success more easily, it's better for the envyronment IMO. All kinds of games going on, better for the big scope.

Jap devs have less power (money) now, so they also could use this better enryronment for them and are doing so.

I totally agree. Very insightful! My only question is... do people's tastes shift first? If I read what you said correctly, you're implying that people sort of just go with whatever platform is leading the way. Like they are sort of forced into it due to their platform of choice. But what if their tastes shift FIRST, which then dictates the platform they CHOOSE? 

It's an interesting question.

People definitely adapt their tastes, but it's actually a good questiin as certainly we have more and more new gamers jumping each gen and their dofferent tastes may mark or boost the shift.

But there us a natural shift going on, that may have had to do with age... even though I don't think it's the main purpose.

One thing missing in my point there was Sega.

Sega didn't dominate any gen, but they have their influence share as well.

Sega started the growth on the mature/cooler side of gaming, they advertized it, and Genesis/Mega Drive was an important part of the path leading to the PS1 popularity.

It starts will Nintendo soft fantasy, Sega takes it to a more mature side, Sony takes over focusing on that mature side and pushing realism/modern themes, then Microsoft picks this modern theme ann the gen focus heavily on it.

But there is always the natural roots going on from the last influence.

Platforms were still relevant on Sony take over, ROGs were still relevant on MS take over (going to WRPGs), and Shooters are still important on Sony take back now.

I would say it was a natural evolution as it became a more mainstream thing with the pass of time, but it was certainly pushed by the influence of the companies itself.

Nintendo: Fantasy (gamers love it)

Sega: Fantasy/Mature (gamers notice another side on gaming)

Sony: Mature/Fantasy/Modern (gamers spread, gaming gets big and mainstream)

Microsoft: Modern/Mature (gamers are more focused again)

Now seems like the natural shift is to get spread rather than focused as going back to Sony, the envyronment was getting too satured with last gen focus.

But 7th gen influence is still very relevant,as was 4th on 5th and 6th on 7th. So I would say the leading influence is definitely  big factor on the shift, as the personal shift takes a little longer on conaumers as the roots show they are still with past gen influence.