By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the xbone going to fall off a cliff?

Will sales fall off a clif in the coming years?

Yes 391 49.56%

No 264 33.46%

Potato 134 16.98%

Total:789

The PS2 era was very long ago and things have changed quite a bit since then.

Games are a lot more expensive to develop and if there's a platform like the XboxOne where publishers know that they'll be able to sell 1.5-2 million copies of their games, they will keep supporting it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Well, i would argue they already have in europe.

Its more of a question of when/if they will in the US. I have no idea why its selling well there, so i really don't know when or if it will decline.

Third parties aren't going to drop Xbox. Not in the "West." I dunno why we're even still discussing the idea, to be honest. Devs would be basically halving their US sales by pulling that.

That said, I do believe X1 won't have a lifespan nearly as long as the 360 did, and M$ will start shifting their focus to next gen in the fifth year.

Only if you throw it there.

Trunkin said:
Third parties aren't going to drop Xbox. Not in the "West." I dunno why we're even still discussing the idea, to be honest. Devs would be basically halving their US sales by pulling that.

That said, I do believe X1 won't have a lifespan nearly as long as the 360 did, and M$ will start shifting their focus to next gen in the fifth year.

True. The 9th gen is going to be really interesting, because it looks that those consoles will have to compete the most not with other 9th gen systems, but with the PS4.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
The PS2 era was very long ago and things have changed quite a bit since then.

Games are a lot more expensive to develop and if there's a platform like the XboxOne where publishers know that they'll be able to sell 1.5-2 million copies of their games, they will keep supporting it.

In that case things don't look too promising, because so far only 15 games have sold over 1.5 million on XB1, and a lot of them are from the same few frnchises. The sales potential for most stuff that's not CoD, Halo, Madden is very limited on XB1.

And for a lot of games that have historically been associated with Playstation like MGS, FF, TR, etc. it might actually be more beneficial to release exlusively on PS4 and get some boost from the exclusivity marketing.

TheObserver said:

PS4 literally has every gamer's taste covered as far as I can see, there's no reason to not get one.

Doesn't have my taste in mind along with games that I already grab on my PC, why should I have to get one?

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
TheObserver said:

PS4 literally has every gamer's taste covered as far as I can see, there's no reason to not get one.

Doesn't have my taste in mind along with games that I already grab on my PC, why should I have to get one?

What's your taste like?

TheObserver said:

What's your taste like?

Something that doesn't really fit the spectrum of what you're likely to suggest to me, I already get what I want on my platform of preference, PS4 nor X1 provide me with anything to rush out and buy a console for, those times are long gone for me.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Darwinianevolution said:
Trunkin said:

True. The 9th gen is going to be really interesting, because it looks that those consoles will have to compete the most not with other 9th gen systems, but with the PS4.

Well, in a way, yeah. Gaming graphics have reached the point of massively diminishing returns, and dev costs are continuing to rise. 3rd parties will probably continue to support 8th gen for a good long time, as the cost of pushing games EVEN further exclusively on new systems wont be worth it. We already saw a bit of that this gen. Only Sony and M$ will be releasing truly next-gen games, and, of the two, Sony is far more likely to go on supporting two platforms.

I'm thinking that, what with x86 BC and all, he PS4/PS5 will share much of their library, as will the XBone/XBTwo. Next gen will push mainly higher resolution and FPS. If that's the case, new consoles are gonna have a hard time convincing people to upgrade for at least the first few years, meaning PS4 will continue it's market dominance well into 9th gen, whereas Xbone will fizzle out far more quickly.

That's my guess, anyway.