By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the xbone going to fall off a cliff?

Will sales fall off a clif in the coming years?

Yes 391 49.56%

No 264 33.46%

Potato 134 16.98%

Total:789
TheObserver said:
peterdavid12345 said:

Time changed,  back then when Sony was MUCH BIGGER and the PS2 was just rekting everybody.

It wasnt even PS2 v. Xbox. More like PS2 v. Xbox/GCB/Dreamcast. But, the dominance of PS2 will never repeat as the xbox brand this time got a much larger fanbase and popularity over all than before.

Another factor is PC market & Smartphone market. At the time, gaming was very limited. It happen mostly on consoles and the PS2 was the "cool thing" for gaming like PC gaming of today. You get the biggest library of video games and the best of the West & East/Japanese Exclusives. Sony was also like Samsung of today, the biggest electronic company in the world.

And now, gaming is more diverse & bigger than ever, it's no longer mostly on consoles but instead, on PC and smartphones.

XB1 will likely get more 3rd party support than XB, but I highly doubt it'll sell more units than the first XBOX.

I predict 35 million max units sold before MS comes out with a successor.

I agree. Consoles gaming is kinda dying tbh. I expect the PS4 will be at 60-70M at Max.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

It depdends, if the NX is really stronegr than people think then yes i can see it happening. Or the most likekley scenario if a new company would try to get into the Bussines like SAMSUNG. Lets not forget one of the main reasons why Sega had to leave the console Hardware-bussines was because Microsoft announced its own console as they saw Sega in demise, it pretty much forced Sega to throw the towel.

Chazore said:
TheObserver said:

What's your taste like?

Something that doesn't really fit the spectrum of what you're likely to suggest to me, I already get what I want on my platform of preference, PS4 nor X1 provide me with anything to rush out and buy a console for, those times are long gone for me.

So you wouldnt like to play games Like The Last of US, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Disaster Report 4, Grabity Rush 2? The PS4 has quite more exclsuives than you think espacially better running versions of crossgen games and remasters.

I'd much rather play Dota2 or Starcraft Brood War.

Where is your PS4 god now? :P

I LOVE ICELAND!

That's what people said about the PS3 aswell...Around the same timeframe people on vgchartz were sure that with FFXIII also releasing on Xbox 360 the PS3 probably will struggle. With DQX on Wii and people being sure that KH3 will come to Wii aswell their was no reason to believe in the future of the PS3....So much can change in a year...

peterdavid12345 said:
TheObserver said:

XB1 will likely get more 3rd party support than XB, but I highly doubt it'll sell more units than the first XBOX.

I agree. Consoles gaming is kinda dying tbh. I expect the PS4 will be at 60-70M at Max.

Nah. Sony's going for 100 or more this gen. Its already outselling the PS2. Remember they sell their consoles for a decade and the console launched two years ago.

sabvre42 said:
JEMC said:

Two things to consider:

1-XboxOne has only sold, by our numbers, 15 million consoles. Being able to sell that much on such userbase is remarcable. That means that those 15 games have been able to reach 1 of 10 X1 users.

2-We don't have digital sales, so the number of games that have reached those numbers can, and will be, more than just 15.

Just think about it, even if a publisher only gets $40 for every game, that's 40 millions for each million games sold. That's the whole budget of a lot of games, leaving all what comes from PC and PS4 as pure profit... Unless it's a game like GTA V, where that only amounts to a fifth of the total budget (and in that case, every penny counts).

You are also forgetting multiple things.
1.) A significant portion of XB1 owners also own a PS4.
2.) A significant portion of XB1 owners would be willing to buy a PS4 if the XB1 starts to get trampled.
3.) Playstation VR (if doesn't end up being a PS TV level flop). The XB1's OR "integration" is pathetic and reaks of "us too".  We will need to see what happens with VR, as the XB1 cannot partake in the market.

Your arguments can also be read the other way around.

1-A significant portion of PS4 owners also own ax X1. Why? Because both consoles have games that won't land on the other console and those gamers want to play them.

Oh, and that "significant portion" is, actually, rather small.

2-A significant portion of PS4 owners would be willing to buy an X1, not because it will get trampled (nice word, btw) but because PS4 has been having a serious problem of games being delayed. If a portion of the 2016 games get delayed, some users may get an X1 to play its exclusives.

3-Playstation VR. Beting on Morpheus (I prefer that name) so early is a leap of faith that can end really well or terribly wrong. We don't know the price (Sony has said that it will be priced as a new device and while it won't be as pricey as Sony's previous 3D helmets, the HMZ-T1 & 2 that cost up to $1,000, we can assume that they won't want to bleed money from what basically is an add-on), we don't know how many good or meaningful games will launch for it after launch, and last, we don't know how well it will work in a common living room and without wires.

But the most important reason that will prevent it is that MSoft will match whatever price cut Sony does and that third parties are happy with the sales they get from the console, so they won't stop their support for it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:
That's what people said about the PS3 aswell...Around the same timeframe people on vgchartz were sure that with FFXIII also releasing on Xbox 360 the PS3 probably will struggle. With DQX on Wii and people being sure that KH3 will come to Wii aswell their was no reason to believe in the future of the PS3....So much can change in a year...

Sony is the only company that can come back from being eight million consoles behind in the gaming industry. While Microsoft had America, Sony had the world. All they had to do was stop screwing up their public image and analysts charted them to catch up with Microsoft by 2011. Of course they didnt account for the Kinect, so it took longer than that to catch up with Microsofts numbers. Again, only Sony can pull this off. They are truly the brand of the world and if they start their generation off correct, good luck getting third party support or any type of favors. EA screwed up big time expecting Microsoft to have truly had their number and now they are bringing the deals back to Sony, but Sony will not sign off on EA Access unless EA makes it worth it for them.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
peterdavid12345 said:

Nah. Sony's going for 100 or more this gen. Its already outselling the PS2. Remember they sell their consoles for a decade and the console launched two years ago.

Lmfao! you wish XD!

Look man, i love Sony and the PlayStation and i would love to have that happened but that's pure fictional number right there.

Wanna bet ;) ?

Ali_16x said:
Snoopy said:

And horizion and tlg...

And where exactly are you getting your information? Both Horizon and TLG were confirmed for 2016 when they were announced at E3 2015.

Want to see a list of 2016 games for PS4?

Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Street Fighter V
Gran Turismo Sport
Dreams
Gravity Rush Remastered
Gravity Rush 2
Persona 5
World of Final Fantasy
Nier: Automata
Star Ocean 5
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Odin Sphere
Attack on Titan
The King of Fighters XIV
Heavy Rain Remastered
Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps
Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelation

Sony owned and published PSN titles (Not indies, like Ori)
Amplitude
Guns Up!
The Tomorrow Children
RIME
Alienation
Shadow of the Beast
Kill Strain
Wattam
What Remains of Edith Finch
Fat Princess Adventures
Drawn to Death

These are all 2016 games and of course this list is not final, Sony is going to announce more games in less than a week which might come in 2016 like MLB 2016. And even more games from Japanese games which haven't been announced for the west yet like Dissidia Final Fantasy, Ni-Oh and Yakuza games.

And you want to know of all the games that are coming to PS4, only WiLD, Matterfall, and Detroit are 2017 games.

This list is absolutely not misleading because it's genuine.

Remember how uncharted 4 and such were suppose to be this year or bloodborne was last year.... Yeah, thats the thing about Sony or a lot of japanese companies in general. They tend to delay their games all the time. Also, the fact you use remasters or bad games to fluff your system line up tells it all. Remember when people use godzilla to make ps4 list look better. Yeah, I remember that and they took that off the list right away along with the rest of their games. I can almost gurantee you that games like TLG and Horizion will be delayed.

TheObserver said:

Do you know that you're contradicting yourself?

The first Xbox sold 25 million consoles, so the 5 millions you say will mean that X1 will surpass the original Xbox by quite a margin.

Also, the X1 has already sold 15 million consoles in two years, so it's very likely that it will surpass the sales of the first one. Let's not forget that most console sales come in the second/third year where consoles reach sub $300 price points. Given that neither the PS4 nor the X1 have reached that point yet, they still have the potential to sell a lot more in 2016-17.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

peterdavid12345 said:

Lmfao! you wish XD!

Look man, i love Sony and the PlayStation and i would love to have that happened but that's pure fictional number right there.

Wanna bet ;) ?

Sony has sold 30 million consoles in their second year and commands the wealth of third party. This means they are averaging (emphasis on averaging) well over 15 million consoles per year. Last gen was the ONLY gen sony never sold over 100 Million consoles ( because they screwed up and Microsoft capitalized on the third party fanfare and console pricing, therefore cutting Sony's potential marketshare previously grown in half). Give Sony a full decade with a good start (which their consoles last). Trust me...i'm saving you the trouble of the loss. 

Here is the article. Trust me...this is not worth betting in your case.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/29/ps4-sales-still-outpacing-ps2-closing-in-on-30-million