By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star wars prequel haters hit a new level of low.

There's a pretty good HISHE on YouTube for episode ii that just got uploaded a few days ago. Check it out!

Around the Network
97alexk said:

okay, so i was discussing some things on the internet, and i have a couple of friends who agree with me that the prequels are good movies. Now take in account star wars episode 3 is my fave movie of all time. But even the mindless prequel haters agreed that the lightsaber fights in the prequels were awsome. But now comes a whole new level of pathetic xD they start to bash on it too, saying it looks clownish, and tooo choreographed. Seriously? Do you know jedis? they are trained since young kids, in lightsaber combat, they have the force. and the lightsaber fights looked awsome in the prequels, but what dont they do to give another reason to hate on those movies xD

They are also saying, original had more emotional lightsaber fights, so on and so forth. Dont get me wrong, i love the originals, Episode 6 is my second fave movie. But it sounds very very try-hard to make an convincing argument. It feels like they are just saying that to protect the originals and to bash more on the prequels. Prequel haters are preatty much brainwashed by media and weird arguments told by nostalgic adults imo.

Though there are some actual critisms that are fair enough. Jar jar binks might be one. 

idk if these forums are like the other ones regarding this topic (i hope not).

If so, can someone give me a valid intelligent counter argument that actually makes sense. And it might seem i have a slight bias or something, but i really dont. I love all star wars movies the same, and if i see a valid critism against any of the movies, ofc i probably agree with it. but for now, i think all 6 movies are preatty much flawless.

Personally I like all of the Star Wars movies, I'd say 5 and 6 are my favorites.

IMO the Yoda vs Dooko fight is undeniably a series high moment as far as the action goes. The showdown between Obi Wan Kenobi, Qui Gon Jin vs Darth Maul is a phenomenal bit of choreography and execution of martial arts in a movie. Same goes for the fight between Anakin and Obi in Revenge of the Sith.

I think most people like to hate on the prequel trilogy because of Jar Jar Binks, but really I personally see him as a contrast to the rest of the tone of the movie (things may have been a little too serious without Jar Jar), like the campness of C3P0 throughout the rest of the series. Jar Jar is a bit of silly slapstic comedy, not necessarily executed as well as the character could have been, but then again I think that The Phantom Menace was meant to be more accessible for youngsters than the others were.

The Luke Lightsaber battles are also awesome, Mark Hamill executed them in an awesome way.

I guess overall the originals will always hold more prestige among those of us who grew up with them. Personally I'm an 80's baby and I hold the original trilogy in my heart along with Gremlins, Goonies, Karate Kid, The Terminator (though I do favor T2 more), Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, The Last Starfighter, The Never Ending Story and many others classic movies.

I still enjoy SW 1-3, just don't hold them in anywhere near as high a regard as 4-6. Hopefully 7 can be a great film, along with Rogue One and any other new sequels, but we'll have to see what happens. I have faith from what I've seen of the trailers and I like JJ Abram's Trek films, so hopefully my faith is well placed.

The prequels are...ok movies. Not the most horrible things ever like many people make them out to be. The acting is generally horrible throughout them, but episode 3 at least has a lot to like (there are also really stupid things still, like the tarzan yell from the Wookie). I also still like the big arena fight from Episode 2, and of course Darth Maul is awesome.

Movies in the 80s had this "Spielberg thing" where they were going for all ages, had something for kids, had a certain feel, and stayed in theaters forever. I think Jar Jar and Little Orphan Ani were a side effect of this mindset. Lucas was trying to draw in the young crowd that might have never cared about the Saga since the last one hang been released since like 1983.

The tone shifted from silly to serious too many times and Lucas just couldn't pull it off. It's easier to stomach now, but in 1999 it was a tough pill to swallow. Expectations were so high. Now I wonder if JJ Abrams can offer up the great movie we all want. I hope so but the pressure is on!

According to some (not me), out of six movies, only one was actually good.

The prequels are objectively bad films. You can enjoy them as a Star Wars fanboy who enjoys the universe expanding or as a guilty movie pleasure only. Otherwise you're just lying to yourself.

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
The prequels are objectively bad films. You can enjoy them as a Star Wars fanboy who enjoys the universe expanding or as a guilty movie pleasure only. Otherwise you're just lying to yourself.

Iron man 2 and 3 sucked.

You shouldn't let it bother you. Some of the stuff the 'real StarWars fans' (I say this as I've been told I'm not a fan since I love the prequels) come up with to explain the original threes plot holes is a joke. Go check it out if you're unaware.
I wonder what number VII will do wrong to offend the fans.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Don't do that...Last time I called the prequels objectively bad I got slammed into a long debate about how objectivity is impossible with regard to creative media. It became a battle of attrition and I lost.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Don't do that...Last time I called the prequels objectively bad I got slammed into a long debate about how objectivity is impossible with regard to creative media. It became a battle of attrition and I lost.

Venture Bros. Sucks.....

Nah, I can't lie.  The show is awesome.  I'm sorry.

d21lewis said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I can't lie, Venture Bros. is awesome.  I'm sorry.

Fixed.