By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star wars prequel haters hit a new level of low.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
danasider said:

This is hilarious. And so true. Despite liking the prequel fights myself and being impressed by all the choreography, I couldn't help feel like a lot of the stuff going on screen was so unnecessary. Like Annakin and Obi-Wan constantly spinning their lightsabers like they were batons. These are weapons meant to kill the opponent, and 3/4 of the attacks looked like they would never connect even if the opponent stood still.

So even though the fights in the prequels are a lot more impressive in terms of speed, choreography and flashiness, they are silly. Which is why I can see people who enjoyed the original trilogy hating on them, not necessarily because of sheer prequel hate.

And in the OT, George Lucas saw the jedi more as samurais than ninjas or kung fu masters. He even had the jedi hold the lightsabers with two hands for the most part. It may have been slower and less flashy, but it had a lot of style. My favorite dual is between Vader and Luke in The Empire Strikes Back. It didn't need a lot of flashy moves, the fight actually made sense for the most part, and most importantly, there was a lot of emotion and even a sense of urgency on Luke's face as the terrifying monster is coming at him with both the force and the lightsaber. So much substance.

That's not to say I am some prequel hate-monger. It's called having an opinion.

Holy shit...If you replace lightsabers with Katana's, it starts too look extremely ridiculous they way they are used some times, like horribly impractical.

If you're gonna go that far. They are unpratical in a fight, to begin with. You wouldn't be doing those fancy twirls with a weapon that can cut off your own hand that easily. Ignoring the time that's wasted during the fight. You could probably shave off all those moves, and get back 5 minutes.

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
coolbeans said:

Acting certainly, but writing?  There's a lot of shit, whether it be stupidity or pacing, within IM 2+3 that plummets to whatever level you're considering for the prequels if we're trying to act "objective" about this.

yes writing.  There's no sand monologue or yippies in Iron Man 2 and 3.  Also quit trying to put Iron Man 2 and 3 on the same level as each other.  2 is clearly inferior.  The only people who act like 3 is a bad film at all are the ones who are pissed at the Mandarin twist because Marvel outsmarted them and hid it from the marketing team because god forbid anyone actually conceal their twist instead of revealing it a la Terminator Genesis (not spelling it their way)

star wars isnt that great a franchise for me
the acting, dilogoe and gfx aged badly for all the episodes

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
coolbeans said:

Acting certainly, but writing?  There's a lot of shit, whether it be stupidity or pacing, within IM 2+3 that plummets to whatever level you're considering for the prequels if we're trying to act "objective" about this.

yes writing.  There's no sand monologue or yippies in Iron Man 2 and 3.  Also quit trying to put Iron Man 2 and 3 on the same level as each other.  2 is clearly inferior.  The only people who act like 3 is a bad film at all are the ones who are pissed at the Mandarin twist because Marvel outsmarted them and hid it from the marketing team because god forbid anyone actually conceal their twist instead of revealing it a la Terminator Genesis (not spelling it their way)

waste of ben kingsley and a potential reinevention of iron man

mandarin is iron man's biggest nemesis besides iron man

it was more of dissapointment for most than this "outsmarted"

not all twists are good

tony was mega dumb in the film , and the lack of decent weapons in the suit were mystifying

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
coolbeans said:

https://youtu.be/YNcJPxjoxF0

Luckily this one was fine by Cinemasins fans or it would have probably been muuuuch longer.

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
Have you ever watched the 70 minutes Phantom Menace review?

All three Prequel reviews were hilarious but ruined the movies for me for about a year. Can't ever watch them, again!

I don't even remember the sword fights. There was this one fight with Yoda that I thought to be ridiculous even back in the days, when I was like 14 or something. But anyway, I don't like Star Wars too much anyway. I mean, pretty much EVERYTHING about the movies is ridiculous, no matter if you're talking about prequels or sequels. Lightsabers itself are ridiculous, what they make space look like is ridiculous, Jedi are ridiculous and oh so many more things. Because of that, I don't know why people are talking about ridiculous things in Star Wars at all. It's like ranting about how Lord of the Rings isn't historically accurate. Either you like it or you don't, but there's no reason to attack people who do or do not like the movies.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Regardless, haters gonna hate :) I like the prequels b****es :O

d21lewis said:
Porcupine_I said:
Have you ever watched the 70 minutes Phantom Menace review?

All three Prequel reviews were hilarious but ruined the movies for me for about a year. Can't ever watch them, again!

They didn't ruin them for me, they just explained in detail why i didn't like them in the first place.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Emperorbach said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

waste of ben kingsley and a potential reinevention of iron man

mandarin is iron man's biggest nemesis besides iron man

it was more of dissapointment for most than this "outsmarted"

not all twists are good

tony was mega dumb in the film , and the lack of decent weapons in the suit were mystifying

did you not pay attention to the story?  He makes terrible decisions because he's being manic due to PTSD and hasn't slept for days.  Try thinking straight or picking the right suit to wear when you've been up for 70+ hours and are on the edge of sanity.  That's why he has the crappy suit on when Mandarin attacks and mentions to Pepper she's the only thing holding him together.

I am Iron Man