By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 SDK Update Unlocked 7th CPU Core For Gaming

sabvre42 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

But the car poolers probably became more efficient and started to share cars so 1 lane is sufficient 

Power of the cloud on sony confirmed?

Just a more efficent OS which needs less resources. They did the same with the PS3.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
sabvre42 said:

CPU processing is like a free way with 8 lanes. If all the cars (calculations) are trying to use one lane you will see a traffic jam and all cars will drastically slow down. When the program is coded to use 6 lanes, it will distribute the cars across all lanes and have a much higher bandwidth.

Previously 2 of 8 lanes were car pool only (OS), and have now 1 of those carpool lanes has been opened up to other traffic. Previously, carpoolers had 2 lanes to themselves (limited traffic) and didn't have issues with slow downs. Now that 1 of those lanes has been opened up to the general public - the general public will have less congestion -- but the car poolers have only 1 lane.

But the car poolers probably became more efficient and started to share cars so 1 lane is sufficient 

It's fun to speculate, could be many things.

OS might be more efficient now, or maybe the extra cpu was held back in case tv, dvr, snap, internet browser etc, became very important. Same with all the memory resevered for the OS. Since the strongest selling point is games, the reserved resources can now be made available.

The less the OS does in the background the better anyway. With only 1 slow hdd to share, anything the OS does has an impact on the game you're running.

Back to the carpool lanes, 2 lanes were available when the highway opened. Not enough people were interested in car pooling, thus the extra lane was better used for the general public. Same with XBox One where reservations for Kinect proved to be pointless.

It would be interesting to know what kind of plans they might have had. For what the OS does now you don't need 2 cores. Doesn't the ps4 have an extra low power chip already for background downloads? http://vr-zone.com/articles/second-ps4-processor-extra-gddr3-ram-revealed/64081.html So what does the OS do while a game is running.

I thought the secondary chip to do background tasks while in standby and for "Share" features was announced in the Feb '13 PS4 reveal. Not 100% on that.

But yes you are right, could be a number of reasons. Optimising the OS could be one and they've done it in the past so it wouldn't be a surprise. The OS was probably given a wide birth to make sure the system to run smoothly when extra features were added in the future. Now they have a good idea of what they need they can start to chop down the resources.

The OS will handle stuff in the background while playing games like apps, messaging, chat, trophies. suspended apps etc and the UI has to pop up within an instant when called upon. My PS3 UI performance took a hit when they allowed more resources to developers so hopefully they don't try and be to tight with the PS4 OS resources.

SvennoJ said:
SWORDF1SH said:

It's fun to speculate, could be many things.

OS might be more efficient now, or maybe the extra cpu was held back in case tv, dvr, snap, internet browser etc, became very important. Same with all the memory resevered for the OS. Since the strongest selling point is games, the reserved resources can now be made available.

The less the OS does in the background the better anyway. With only 1 slow hdd to share, anything the OS does has an impact on the game you're running.

Back to the carpool lanes, 2 lanes were available when the highway opened. Not enough people were interested in car pooling, thus the extra lane was better used for the general public. Same with XBox One where reservations for Kinect proved to be pointless.

It would be interesting to know what kind of plans they might have had. For what the OS does now you don't need 2 cores. Doesn't the ps4 have an extra low power chip already for background downloads? http://vr-zone.com/articles/second-ps4-processor-extra-gddr3-ram-revealed/64081.html So what does the OS do while a game is running.

OS features that should be segregated:

Trophies
Party Chat/ Messaging
PS Music/ Media Player Music
Notifications
Downloading
Navigating around the OS (including PS store)
Screen shots
Game play sharing/recording
Streaming to a remote play device
Internet Connection Maintanence
Audio streaming (to the DS4/ Gold headset)
etc

captain carot said:
IamAwsome said:
The gap is getting bigger!

Gap has been reduced. MS allowed devs to use the seventh core months ago.

Doesn't change anything on the graphics side, so still 900p-1080p.

But probably games on both platforms will be better optimized in the future, should help in CPU.heavy situations.

The gap was reduced, and this update will widen it again. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
Anyone know what actual changes this may make in terms of performance in games, UI and application use?

I don't understand why some people are saying it may make UI slower. Thought an extra core may give it more of a performance boost not the opposite.

Not being funny, just saying I don't understand how it technically works so having someone explain could help me understand it better.

None. The 2 cores was for futureproofing, Sony went over zealous with memory/processing to prevent another PS3 ui debacle. Insiders only claimed it was ever using one core, I'm suprised it took this long honestly. I figured they might be saving it for VR, but it looks like that's not the case.

Protendo said:
Fei-Hung said:
Anyone know what actual changes this may make in terms of performance in games, UI and application use?

I don't understand why some people are saying it may make UI slower. Thought an extra core may give it more of a performance boost not the opposite.

Not being funny, just saying I don't understand how it technically works so having someone explain could help me understand it better.

None. The 2 cores was for futureproofing, Sony went over zealous with memory/processing to prevent another PS3 ui debacle. Insiders only claimed it was ever using one core, I'm suprised it took this long honestly. I figured they might be saving it for VR, but it looks like that's not the case.

If they use resources dynamically they won't need to intentionally allocate resources, but would be more difficult to code I guess.

So UI/OS would use that one core instead of two cores now, or that extra core was just for headroom if any games or apps running. Big deal in deed.

blizzardsphere said:

So UI/OS would use that one core instead of two cores now, or that extra core was just for headroom if any games or apps running. Big deal in deed.

The later.

In all honestly it was a small boost to the Xbox One, and it will be a small boost to the PS4. It's nice to have, but it's only going to be a minor improvement just like the Xbox One.

Release the samba!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won