By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 SDK Update Unlocked 7th CPU Core For Gaming

Perhaps upclock as well?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Very nice. I wonder, would it be possible for either company to open up all 8 cores to games? I know it would probably make the snap features, well, less snappy, but can it be done and still be able to use the home buttons to access the background apps and whatnot? Good to see them open it up though, can only be a positive thing.

Anyone know what actual changes this may make in terms of performance in games, UI and application use?

I don't understand why some people are saying it may make UI slower. Thought an extra core may give it more of a performance boost not the opposite.

Not being funny, just saying I don't understand how it technically works so having someone explain could help me understand it better.

Fei-Hung said:
Anyone know what actual changes this may make in terms of performance in games, UI and application use?

I don't understand why some people are saying it may make UI slower. Thought an extra core may give it more of a performance boost not the opposite.

Not being funny, just saying I don't understand how it technically works so having someone explain could help me understand it better.

That extra core was exclusively for the UI until now. It was locked for gaming. 

Hopefully they have a new UI now, sure it's fast but it's ridiculously cluttered and hideous. The PS3's was beautiful, but slow. 

Fei-Hung said:

CPU processing is like a free way with 8 lanes. If all the cars (calculations) are trying to use one lane you will see a traffic jam and all cars will drastically slow down. When the program is coded to use 6 lanes, it will distribute the cars across all lanes and have a much higher bandwidth.

Previously 2 of 8 lanes were car pool only (OS), and have now 1 of those carpool lanes has been opened up to other traffic. Previously, carpoolers had 2 lanes to themselves (limited traffic) and didn't have issues with slow downs. Now that 1 of those lanes has been opened up to the general public - the general public will have less congestion -- but the car poolers have only 1 lane.

Around the Network

It's so damn complicated now!  We need Scott Steiner to explain the numbers.

sabvre42 said:

CPU processing is like a free way with 8 lanes. If all the cars (calculations) are trying to use one lane you will see a traffic jam and all cars will drastically slow down. When the program is coded to use 6 lanes, it will distribute the cars across all lanes and have a much higher bandwidth.

Previously 2 of 8 lanes were car pool only (OS), and have now 1 of those carpool lanes has been opened up to other traffic. Previously, carpoolers had 2 lanes to themselves (limited traffic) and didn't have issues with slow downs. Now that 1 of those lanes has been opened up to the general public - the general public will have less congestion -- but the car poolers have only 1 lane.

But the car poolers probably became more efficient and started to share cars so 1 lane is sufficient 

IamAwsome said:
The gap is getting bigger!

Gap has been reduced. MS allowed devs to use the seventh core months ago.

Doesn't change anything on the graphics side, so still 900p-1080p.

But probably games on both platforms will be better optimized in the future, should help in CPU.heavy situations.

SWORDF1SH said:
sabvre42 said:

But the car poolers probably became more efficient and started to share cars so 1 lane is sufficient 

Power of the cloud on sony confirmed?

Undoubtedly lots of other little improvements since launch, that add up to a significant gain, but we don't hear about it.

One of the reasons why I don't complain about a system update that only adds 'stability'. It could well be support for new sdk features and/or improved drivers.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One