By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Skyward Sword HD with standard controls: What would have to be changed?

You can't remake Skyward Sword without Motion-Controls. That's like remaking a Mario Kart game without karts.
Graphics at least. But definitely not controls.

Around the Network

Basically everything.

Besides enemy design and AI (what you said/assumed about the combat is true; you must read the movements of the enemies and h.slash, v.slash, d.slash, thrust or shield-bash accordingly), there's a plethora of puzzles that use motion based gestures, items that are motion based in different ways like the remote controlled beetle, aiming of ranged weapons, the use of the sword for searching for secrets by motion control (dowsing) or 'drawing patterns on magic walls' and mini-games, and various other movements like flying, balancing on ropes and swimming.

Some movements could be fairly easily swapped for stick control like the swimming (flying would already be harder since there's various moves), but for everything else I guess they basically would need to rebuild the entire engine.

Which would result in an entirely different game; Skyward Sword is Skyward Sword because the motion controls are so integrated into every aspect of the game.

I like motion control but this game needed an option to use regular control.

I could never finish this game beacuse the controls wore me out.

When I play big action/adventure games that take 30+ hours to beat I want to relax playing games on the couch with pillows and blankets for a few hours at the time wich I never could with Zelda SS.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

The resolution would definitely have to be changed.

This is why I fear SS will fade into obscurity. You can't remake SS w/o motion controls, but I have a hunch that Nintendo will abandon motion controls moving forward. Just don't know how an HD remake would work.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
S.Peelman said:

Basically everything.

Besides enemy design and AI (what you said/assumed about the combat is true; you must read the movements of the enemies and h.slash, v.slash, d.slash, thrust or shield-bash accordingly), there's a plethora of puzzles that use motion based gestures, items that are motion based in different ways like the remote controlled beetle, aiming of ranged weapons, the use of the sword for searching for secrets by motion control (dowsing) or 'drawing patterns on magic walls' and mini-games, and various other movements like flying, balancing on ropes and swimming.

Some movements could be fairly easily swapped for stick control like the swimming (flying would already be harder since there's various moves), but for everything else I guess they basically would need to rebuild the entire engine.

Which would result in an entirely different game; Skyward Sword is Skyward Sword because the motion controls are so integrated into every aspect of the game.

I haven't seen the remote controlled beetle and aiming of ranged weapons, but it sounds like it can be done with the analog stick, like aiming the hookshot in Gamecube as opposed to the Wii version of TP? Aiming the sword I haven't seen either, but could holding down a button while moving the analog stick around work? As for drawing patterns on walls, it works for Okami on PS3 (while originally it was done with motion controlls on Wii). Wouldn't it be possible for this game as well?

But it sounds like it would need to be a remake and not a port, with redesigns to enemies and puzzles and items, etc.

Yes, aiming things could also be stick based, from the top of my head, it would be like usual. The drawing is simply pointing the Wiimote towards your tv, so if there's a good alternative in Okami for that it probably works here too.

I guess if they really wanted to, ways could be found for almost everything to be controlled by analogue sticks and buttons, but I'm not sure how satisfactory that would be. Could complicate things even further. Combat for example, I guess the only way would be to use the right stick to simulate hand movement, and somehow quickly flicking it slashes the sword the way you want to. It would sacrifice the use of the stick for free-camera movement (though SS didn't have that anyway), but the use of buttons wouldn't really be an option.

So yeah, everything's possible if they really wanted to, but it would need some work I'd say. Besides there simply being a lot to change, the combat remains the biggest obstacle. Could be that Nintendo's smarter than me, I'm thinking too complicated and they have easy solutions for everything however of course.

So they will have to either not make a HD version at all, or rebind the buttons with maybe directional inputs for attacks.. or keep the motion controls in :p

Personally, I don't like the motion controls, but it wouldn't be the same without it

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I'm OK with Skyward Sword's motion controls, but I wouldn't be sad if a remake wouldn't have them!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I loved motion controls on this game, they were the best ever but they should add an option to play it on a traditional control scheme.

They should also entirely remove the part where you have to collect notes cause that felt like a cheap filler. Make enemies smarter. Visually they should remove the jaggies completely, make it 1080p with locked 30fps, remake character models and improve general textures (geometry is fine in this game). A new lightning system would do wonders as well.

I think that's it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

The game could be remade without motion controls