By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - M. Pachter: 'Nintendo's new console needs GTA, Call of Duty and FIFA to avoid Wii U disaster'

Slightly off topic, but is Pachter really an authority on gaming? Like, does he have much experience or history with gaming besides his analyses?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
I hate Pachter threads, because all they boil down to are a bunch of brain-dead comments saying "Durr... Pachter said it so the opposite must be true! Trololol. Wrong about everything trololol."

Instead of substantive posts agreeing or disagreeing with what's being said in a manner that actually cultivates interesting discussion.

Perhaps if the things Pachter said weren't so routinely ridiculous, the discussion would be of a higher caliber. That sort of animosity doesn't normally come up around soundbytes from other people in the industry, which suggests the problem is mostly Pachter, not people on forums.

Teeqoz said:
Cloudman said:
Well, how specific. Now 3rd party alone isn't enough, and must have those particular 3? Umm, already Patch ; ) And when did focusing a lot on 1st party become a bad thing? That's great! Nothing like your console having a great first party line up. You get the best of both worlds if you can get great 1st party and 3rd party games.

I think at this point Patch just hates Nintendo and wants them to die x ) He just keeps raising the requirements needed for it to 'succeed'

Really now? This is one of the most reasonable things he has said lately (I get that that doesn't mean much, but whatevs). These requirements are literally the basic minimum for what could be considered even halfway decent third-party support, and you're calling these requirements high?

Would you rather he says "Nintendo needs to keep on making the deals with third-parties as they did this gen; get exclusive crap Sonic games from SEGA, get roughly three last gen ports, and in additon two CoDs and one Fifa, and then they can pretty much call it a day"?

Getting all Cods Fifas & Maddens and the basically one GTA that releases each gen isn't setting the bar high for third party support. It's pretty much the lowest possible bar to set and still be able to say that it might actually make an impact. 

The bar Pachter is setting for Nintendo's third party support:

Sony's and MS's bar for third party support:

That's how big the difference is between getting just the annual Cods, Fifas, Maddens , Skylanders, Disney Infinitiesand the Lego games, vs getting all those, + Destiny, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, Batman Arkham, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Mortal Kombat, Borderlands, Battlefront, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Far Cry, NBA, Metal Gear Solid, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, The Evil Within, Need for Speed, Wolfenstein, Doom, Mad Max, NHL, Dying Light, and I could keep on listing more here.

This isn't setting the bar high. This is setting the bar at a minimum for third party support.

Aside from that, no, there's nothing wrong with focusing a lot on 1st party, but when you appear to be completely oblivious to third parties, then you should focus more on third party. That doesn't mean they should focus less on 1st party. Their own developers won't be handling third party games lol. They just need to spend some money on third party relations. Sony and Ms (and probably Nintendo as well, but you wouldn't know it from the current situation) have their own third party relations teams which work to ensure/improve 3rd party support. Nintendo obviously need to increase their efforts there, without that negatively impacting their 1st party development teams in any ways.

PAchter doesn't hate Nintendo. Just because he criticizes the stupid business decisions they make doesn't make him a hater. If that was the case, 90% of all the Nintendofans on this site would be Nintendo haters. Pachter applauds Nintendo's good decisions (ie. amiibo, mobile, and he knows Nintendo is a software powerhouse), and he criticizes stuff like their 3rd party support. This makes him sensible, not a hater. 

While I'm not sure there is even a point in Nintendo pursuing 3rd parties anymore, as their image with gamers might simply be too tainted to ever gain any notable amount of the typical "3rd party game" audience (whatever that is ), this wouldn't be setting a high bar for Nintendo if you think they should try to pursue 3rd parties.

But eh, if you think these are high requirements for 3rd party support, fair enough.

Hmm, yeah, I can see Patch's statement on needing a particular couple of games to succeed as a bare minimum. I just took it as "Regardless of what 3rd party they get, whether is be a modest amount or everything availble but the missing few, if they are missing those particular ones, then they are doomed to fail" which is why I can't really take this comment serious. I'd rather he say something like Nintendo needs to build better relationships with 3rd parties to get as many of them on board to release games on their consoles, as well as possible collaborations to get unique games for the system. I would have accepted that. But the way Patch says it, it seems like he just keeps on changing the requirements he thinks Nintendos need to succeed. And, with the things I have heard him say about Nintendo over the pass few years, I really can't take him all that seriously.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

This is the most obvious statement ever, the NX needs to be either revolutionary like the Wii, or have fantastic 3rd-party support. In a perfect scenario, it will have both. Nintendo still has a bunch of Wii/DS cash (though it is drying up gradually thanks to the Wii U), that they should use to moneyhat some big 3rd-party titles. I don't care if it's timed-exclusivity or permanent exclusivity, spend some money to get the big titles. If they were to buyout some struggling companies who have franchises with huge potential (SEGA, Capcom, etc.) as well, the NX would be almost guaranteed success.

Personally, I just hope Nintendo gets a Fallout 4 port onto the NX, an excuse to play through it again would be great.

AEGRO said:
Thats kinda obvious, in order to be a Primary console like the Ps4 or X1 you have to have those kind of games and the rest of 3rd party titles.

If the NX is going to be another secondary console from Nintendo like the Wii U, i dont see how it could be successful.

not really true

let's think about the things that the Wii U DID NOT have at release- a solid 3D Mario, a Zelda or Metroid game (either/or would have done), an innovative party game (aka a new IP)

all Nintendo's next system will need is a Mario Galaxy and another big first party title like Zelda for it to smash. and imagine if they launched with a mainline Pokemon game on console

people underrated Nintendo's IP's for some reason lately, they have massive followings. bear in mind when the Wii U launched it had almost NOTHING in the realm of big hitters. No Mario Kart, no Zelda, no mainline 3D Mario (not really at least), no big party game

the key to a Nintendo console having success is launching with a few killer games. the Wii U is one of the poorest launches in recent memory and it shocks me that so few people around here seem to understand thats its poor library at launch is what was one of the biggest problems (that and marketing)

you're naive if you think the next Nintendo console, if launching with a Pokemon and Mario Galaxy game would not sell well. it would

Around the Network

its not important if you have other type of games available who are similar maybe even exclusive. WiiU lacked japanese games except for Nintendos own, i hope nintendo will make and bankroll plenty of games similar to project zero and XCX for its next console.

Ruler said:
its not important if you have other type of games available who are similar maybe even exclusive. WiiU lacked japanese games except for Nintendos own, i hope nintendo will make and bankroll plenty of games similar to project zero and XCX for its next console.

If the NX doubles as a handheld, japanese publishers will no doubt support it. With the Vita not getting a successor, the NX handheld will be the only big player in the market (mobile gaming aside), so japanese gamers will no doubt support the system, specially if it packs power and Nintendo can double its software output.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

atomicblue said:

Oh god, not this hack again.

Also, GameCube got all of those games except for FIFA and still sold worse than everything else that gen. Wii missed a ton of those things and outsold PS3 and 360. The answer is nowhere near as simple as he likes to try and make things.

It sold better than the Wii U tho.

Its better having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it.

Third Party Games are A MUST in every console.

I agree with him, I think without them it could fail in the west, I do think it will be a success in Japan no matter what happens but that's not enough. It's got a big fight ahead of it's too try and take the market from ps4 and xboxOne.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

So that means that it doesnt need any third party and it will be successfull

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS