By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Can Benefit More From Backwards Compatibility Than Xbox One

Last gen, I got a PS3, Wii, and 360. I instantly sold my Gamecube, gave away my PS2, and bought a lot of 360 games.

I STILL played those older games--especially the Gamecube titles, as recently as August. It's a great feature, to me.

Around the Network

No thanks to BC on my PS4. I bought a PS4 to play PS4 games, not older games. If i want to play older games, i still have my PS1/2/3, that i could break back out.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
No thanks to BC on my PS4. I bought a PS4 to play PS4 games, not older games. If i want to play older games, i still have my PS1/2/3, that i could break back out.

Yeah, no thanks to more options on a gaming system because why even bother.

Ruler said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
Anyone that actually still physically owns PS1/2/3 games more than likely still have a PS1/2/3.

yeah but they look pretty bad on mordern TVs, some mordern TVs even dont support composite anymore, games are region locked and i would much rather have some classic games than indies all the time with my PS+ subscribtion. People who dont own any old games can just go out and buy PS2 and PS1 games or download them from the store.

Its about the grand sheme of things, PCs steam librabry is growning expontentionally every year because of BC. No one says its meaningless having access to older games on PC? 

That would be awesome

Unfortunately Sony is too lazy to do that

Augen said:
"It is clear that Microsoft Xbox One will benefit enormously from backwards compatibility."

Is it clear? At this stage I don't see this making a big impact.

It makes an impact on 360 owners who are still on the fence on upgrading.  BC is aimed toward thos gamers and MS has made it clear that this is an area they would like to pursue.  As for us 360 gamers who have already upgraded to the X1, it's a great feature.   As for MS, it's a box they can tick and even advertise if they want that separate their product from Sony.

Around the Network
fireburn95 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
They'll bring ps2 and Ps1 late in the gen, but why bring cheap old software when they're making mega bucks on new ones and covering costs and selling hardware.
BC is brought when sony needs it because of slowing sales or software deficiencies, and there isn't much of that going round. XB1 is hardly doing good outside of America, and even in America it's not doing as good as it could've done, so they need their 'down the road' ammunition now

Oh Sony fans, always concerned about profits. God forbid they do BC simply because fans want it.

It's called being realistic. If sony could get ps1 & ps2 on shit ps3 architecture, and ms can get 360 on xb1, you don't think it's at least feasible sony could've got ps1 & 2 at the very least on ps4. If you didn't realise, this is a business where the goal is to make money, not to cater to fans whims. Microsoft could've brought BC earlier, but they didn't expect the uphill battle they'd have to climb

It's good that you are realistic because for some reason a lot of pure Sony fans believe Sony does things because they care about their fans instead of caring about making money.  So now that Sony has this huge market share lead, I am wondering if we will see a lot of money decisions from Sony, and how the fans will paint those decisions.

Machiavellian said:
fireburn95 said:

It's called being realistic. If sony could get ps1 & ps2 on shit ps3 architecture, and ms can get 360 on xb1, you don't think it's at least feasible sony could've got ps1 & 2 at the very least on ps4. If you didn't realise, this is a business where the goal is to make money, not to cater to fans whims. Microsoft could've brought BC earlier, but they didn't expect the uphill battle they'd have to climb

It's good that you are realistic because for some reason a lot of pure Sony fans believe Sony does things because they care about their fans instead of caring about making money.  So now that Sony has this huge market share lead, I am wondering if we will see a lot of money decisions from Sony, and how the fans will paint those decisions.

Well they do. Both companies do. But you have to find the right balance between what's financially right and whats morally right. 

Sony made the moral decision to not go with the always online and drm bs. That probably was a costly decision (at the time) but it worked out for the better because they could build a healthy user base.

Sony made the business decision not to have EA Access. While fans would love it, it doesn't make sense for them to have a service which basically eliminates the fact they can make more money from EA's games post-launch sales.

PS NOW is expensive now, but when they realise no one is using it, they'll make the more consumer decision to lower the price or offer it as part of a subsidised ps plus bundle or something like that.

They just did all of this too late. The pre-x1 launch and all of it's first year in the market were a disaster and people won't forget.

Sixteenvolt420 said:

No thanks to Netflix on my PS4.  If I wanted to watch a movie, I still have my VCR and DVD player that i could break back out.  Nobody else could possibly find this feature even slightly useful.

fireburn95 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
They'll bring ps2 and Ps1 late in the gen, but why bring cheap old software when they're making mega bucks on new ones and covering costs and selling hardware.
BC is brought when sony needs it because of slowing sales or software deficiencies, and there isn't much of that going round. XB1 is hardly doing good outside of America, and even in America it's not doing as good as it could've done, so they need their 'down the road' ammunition now

Oh Sony fans, always concerned about profits. God forbid they do BC simply because fans want it.

Im not arguing its not possible, Im arguing Sony doesent care to add BC because they simply dont care. Youre right, Sony is driven on profits not fan requests.

MS could have brought BC ealier? Was the emulator ready before 2015?

Sony could be bringing good games to PS4. But they simply arent ready. It takes years to do that apparently.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)