By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation 4 Can Benefit More From Backwards Compatibility Than Xbox One

So it went from not needing BC to it can be better for PS4 than XB1? x ) Funny how there is competition to be had on even something like BC. All consoles would benefit if all of them offered BC. It would def be good if Sony did it as well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Isn't it time that we cut Microsoft some slack?

Possibly, Jordan Helm, Possibly.

I have mothballed my PS2 right now. And backwards compatibility on Xbone will soon make room for another console.
But while I see Sony porting their emulators for PS1&2 they have remasters and PS Now for PS3 games.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Anyone that actually still physically owns PS1/2/3 games more than likely still have a PS1/2/3.

And?

- Old hardware is destined to fail at some point

- Better load times are always welcome (at least for me - if you disagree, tell me why)

- Convenience - why would one have 4 systems hookep up to TV instead of one if bc is available?

That said, of course you would still need a PS3 as PS4 is not able to emulate the PS3 at playable speed.

Tachikoma said:

I can honestly say when I had a launch PS3 that could play PS2/PS1 games, I never used it, I now have an Xbox one that can play X360 games, and i've not even tried it.
Backwards compatibility is a great feature, but not a critical one.

Also, I am somewhat dissapointed that Microsoft haven't made original xbox games backwards compatible.

Generally I would agree with you but being able to play digital games, in my opinion, is another benefit. Also for people who didn't own Fallout 3 last gen get it now for free with Fallout 4. And as a Gold subscriber, you get two 360 games per month for free, too.

Of course we can argue that the games are not good or you don't like them or they aren't interesting to you or whatever to make this argument smaller but in the end, objectively you get more free games which you can play on one system.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

Generally I would agree with you but being able to play digital games, in my opinion, is another benefit. Also for people who didn't own Fallout 3 last gen get it now for free with Fallout 4. And as a Gold subscriber, you get two 360 games per month for free, too.

Of course we can argue that the games are not good or you don't like them or they aren't interesting to you or whatever to make this argument smaller but in the end, objectively you get more free games which you can play on one system.

Free as long as you own them already, (not including Fallout 3 that comes with Fallout 4 of course).

As I said, not a bad thing at all, but not a critical one either.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Anyone that actually still physically owns PS1/2/3 games more than likely still have a PS1/2/3.

actually ps2 and 3 only. ps2 can also play ps1 games. beyond that BC is redundant. if someone wants to play old games, go ahead. you pay for it. i dont want it, i dont wanna pay for it.

Hunting Season is done...

I disagree with the author of that article about the PS4 benefiting from PS3 BC. It would be a pain the in ass to make the PS4 BC with the PS3. PS3 games can easily be played on the PS3. I'm personally burnt out on playing any more PS3 games. I want to just play new games or really old games. The PS4 could benefit more and it would be easier if the PS4 was BC with the PS2/PS1 instead. It can be difficult and pricy to buy most of the decent PS2 and PS1 games.

Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
They'll bring ps2 and Ps1 late in the gen, but why bring cheap old software when they're making mega bucks on new ones and covering costs and selling hardware.
BC is brought when sony needs it because of slowing sales or software deficiencies, and there isn't much of that going round. XB1 is hardly doing good outside of America, and even in America it's not doing as good as it could've done, so they need their 'down the road' ammunition now

Oh Sony fans, always concerned about profits. God forbid they do BC simply because fans want it.

It's called being realistic. If sony could get ps1 & ps2 on shit ps3 architecture, and ms can get 360 on xb1, you don't think it's at least feasible sony could've got ps1 & 2 at the very least on ps4. If you didn't realise, this is a business where the goal is to make money, not to cater to fans whims. Microsoft could've brought BC earlier, but they didn't expect the uphill battle they'd have to climb

Augen said:
"It is clear that Microsoft Xbox One will benefit enormously from backwards compatibility."

Is it clear? At this stage I don't see this making a big impact.

Hard to judge, but sony lost a bit of money from me. As an multiplatform owner I would have got Fallout 4 on PS4 but because of bc and getting Fallout 3 I choose the Xbox one version. I also would have got some PS1 games on PS4 if it was possible. I don't understand why they don't have the PS one games on PS4 that they have on PS3. People can say 'but many have a PS3 why bother?' meanwhile we also got many reports that like 40% didn't own a PS3 last gen so yeah I think BC can increase their profit.