By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thoughts on "Star Fox Zero's graphics look bad"

ps3-sales! said:
Ok you know what, this will not be the popular opinion but it has to be said.

Are you insane?

Normally I don't partake in these dumb console X > console Y with visuals/graphics and what not. But you guys are being veeeeerrry Nintendo biased here.

I don't want to get banned by attacking Nintendo/it's fans; but come on. Star Fox looks like an average 360 launch title game that would come out in 2005. It just simply looks bad.

It. Looks. Bad.

That's blatantly obvious to me. No sugarcoat.

Is that a bad thing?!?!?! OF COURSE NOT.

The game will probably be a blast to play and i look forward to it! But stop trying to defend the visuals lol. Until there is an obvious upgrade Star Fox Wii U is destined to look crappy! That's just a fact!!!!!

I'm with you on this one. The visuals would have been fine if this was made 5-6 years ago on ps3/360, heck it may have been good enough for wii u launch title graphics, but in the middle of 8th gen starfox's graphics are among the worst. 

It surprises me the lengths to which people will go through to convince other people that these graphics are great. This game looks awful. Says nothing about gameplay, just that it looks horrendous

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
I don't care what it looks like, it's fucking Starfox. I'm cool with it.

I'm in this camp as well. The graphics look fine, the gameplay looks pretty fun and unique and we are finally getting a new Starfox game after all these years. I think it'll be a blast. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

The graphics doesnt looks great but this trailer is good enough for me to buy the game, looks fun

The artistic direction is literally from another era.
The power lost to the new controls is a wate, because the controls don't anything, and the game would be more enjoyable without them (yes I tried the game).
The graphics are bad.
Ther is not much going on screen.
There is no online.
No local multiplayer.

The should have done a proper starfox, and used the gamepad screen to do stuff like transform your ship, repare it, etc. Could have in 2D and won t have drain the power

This game, is going to suck. Or at best it will be another 7/10 from Nintendo. Because everybody will let it slide, because, well, it's Nintendo. Thank you Miyamoto for your lame ass ideas.

hunter_alien said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
I'm of the mindset that agrees that Star Fox Zero is not a good-looking game, and in reality, the core issue really IS that they're rendering the same screen space twice at 60 fps. That is a HUGE drain on power.

I personally think a game like Star Fox does NOT need 60 fps, however (and I am well aware this is Platinum Games' target goal all the time), and I actually think a drop to a solid 30 fps would do this game wonders in pleasing the eye while maintaining enough fluidity as to not hamper the experience.

This. Starfox IMO didnt need a perfect 60fps on both screens. 30 would have been enough and the game could have looked way better. I mean, I knopw that most people will play it for the gameplay, but this is imply... ugly. It looks like a pre-alpha build IMO. There is some difference between the two build, true, but that is mostly down to the engine optimization IMO. Textures on the other hand are terrible.

SM3DW looked amazing, MK8, looked amazing, B2 looked even moreso... why does this look like a 1st generation, 3rd party 360 cash-in? Beats me...

Well, you've answered your own question there; 60fps on two screens is why. As to why they felt the need to do that; Miyamoto. The guy is obsessed with finding "new ways to play". (see Project Giant Robot and Project Guard) He even said recently that the reason they haven't made a new F-Zero is because he hasn't "thought of a new control method for it".

Around the Network
midrange said:

I'm with you on this one. The visuals would have been fine if this was made 5-6 years ago on ps3/360, heck it may have been good enough for wii u launch title graphics, but in the middle of 8th gen starfox's graphics are among the worst. 

It surprises me the lengths to which people will go through to convince other people that these graphics are great. This game looks awful. Says nothing about gameplay, just that it looks horrendous

It looks worse than that. This is Star Fox assault upscaled. All the textures have been untouched:

This is a similar scene in Zero:

Assault looks better. It's not just the graphics.

spemanig said:
midrange said:

It looks worse than that. This is Star Fox assault upscaled. All the textures have been untouched:

Assault has more going on on screen in this scene, but in terms of graphics I still think Zero looks better. The lighting and skybox are considerably nicer.

Also, isn't that a 1080p shot of Assault versus a 720p shot of Zero?

curl-6 said:

Well, you've answered your own question there; 60fps on two screens is why. As to why they felt the need to do that; Miyamoto. The guy is obsessed with finding "new ways to play". (see Project Giant Robot and Project Guard) He even said recently that the reason they haven't made a new F-Zero is because he hasn't "thought of a new control method for it".

I seriously hope he continues to lose influence in that company. And I hope Pikmin 4 is his last game. Seriously. I cry to think of how good that Sakurai Star Fox would have been. It would have looked better, played better, sounded better, had an actual original premise, had a script, had excellent voice acting - it would have been pheonominal. I mean, I'm glad we got Kid Icaris too, for obvious reasons, and Sakurai deserves retirement since he's basically killing himself now making games, but part of me wishes that Project Sora could exist without him and be Nintendo's rail shooter studio, starting with Star Fox Alpha or something.

spemanig said:
midrange said:

Im not going to defend the graphics of star fox zero. But I will say that picture reminds me of how much I hated the design or the arwing in starfox assault.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

I seriously hope he continues to lose influence in that company. And I hope Pikmin 4 is his last game. Seriously. I cry to think of how good that Sakurai Star Fox would have been. It would have looked better, played better, sounded better, had an actual original premise, had a script, had excellent voice acting - it would have been pheonominal. I mean, I'm glad we got Kid Icaris too, for obvious reasons, and Sakurai deserves retirement since he's basically killing himself now making games, but part of me wishes that Project Sora could exist without him and be Nintendo's rail shooter studio, starting with Star Fox Alpha or something.

Yeah, I hope Miyamoto retires soon. He's well passed his prime and at this point he's more of a liability to Nintendo than an asset.

I mean, the guy's made some truly legendary video games in the past, but these days he just seems totally out of touch, whether it be building Starfox Zero around the Gamepad, simplifying Paper Mario Sticker Star, or thinking F-Zero of all games needs some brand new interface.