By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tomb Raider debuts at #5 in UK

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Nope, it became profitable before the remaster. Look it up.

Anyhow, its unlikely Tomb Raider will be a profitable endeavor for MS nor do I believe that was expected. But thats okay, its a great game. Maybe it will have decent legs.

They were complaining about making their money back until they made the definitive versions, so technically it took five platforms.

Again, try looking it up. It became profitable at the end of 2013. The remaster was released in 2014.

With the remasterer it apparently exceeded expectations.

The Tomb Raider struggling to be profitable story is greatly exagerated. Square Enix apparently hoped it would be profitable in a month because it was so awesome, that didn't happen. But what did happen is it became profitable in under a year. The game was ultimatley a success even before they made more money with the remaster.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Square lives off of anyones purse. I guess you forgot the part where Sony paid them for timed exclusivity to the Final Fantasy 7 reboot.

Final Fantasy VII was a PlayStation exclusive. Tomb Raider, on the other hand, was not (and Rise of the Tomb Raider was announced as a multiplatform game). Beyond that, you have no idea if Sony paid for anything (the PS4 IS the dominant platform, after all, and the majority of the game's sales will come from PlayStation dominated regions).

Of course sony Paid for a timed exclusive. FF15 and KH3 coming to xbox one. FF7 remake will be a huge game and by the time it comes out there will be about 40 million xbox one owners at least.

V-r0cK said:
There is no lesson to be learned for Square because this shouldn't be a surprise to them at all. We knew about this all along from the very beginning so how could Square not have known about this lol. They just wanted MS money that's all.

There's more to the deal than just Microsoft's money. Originally square and Ms thought that uncharted would be releasing at the same time. I'd imagine the idea was to have a showdown, where the internet was awash with articles about each competing with each other. That's basically free advertising. And then, well, uncharted got delayed, and the whole scheme fell through 

I hope square were paid good money for the exclusivity or they're super pissed. Like they really didn't see it coming, making it exclusive on your less popular brand by a substantial amount and then releasing it on the same day as Fallout. Lessons will be learned.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Snoopy said:
CGI-Quality said:

Final Fantasy VII was a PlayStation exclusive. Tomb Raider, on the other hand, was not (and Rise of the Tomb Raider was announced as a multiplatform game). Beyond that, you have no idea if Sony paid for anything (the PS4 IS the dominant platform, after all, and the majority of the game's sales will come from PlayStation dominated regions).

Of course sony Paid for a timed exclusive. FF15 and KH3 coming to xbox one. FF7 remake will be a huge game and by the time it comes out there will be about 40 million xbox one owners at least.

When do you think FF7 remake is coming out?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Snoopy said:

When do you think FF7 remake is coming out?

By the end of 2017 at the earliest. Probably 2018 however.

Nautilus said:
I still think Rise will sell really well on the long run.Sure, the debut wasnt something special, but it think it will do decently on US.(Expecting somewhere around 300k to 400k to both versions combined)By the time the PS4 version releases, Rise on XOne will probably have sold 1.5 , 2 Millions.And it will get probably most sales in PS4.

Top kek. And this, folks, is why being an analyst and sales planner is actually a job that's learned. You can't seriously be expecting the game to sell 300/400k in the USA when COD and Fallout 4 released in the same month.

4k1x3r said:
Nautilus said:
I still think Rise will sell really well on the long run.Sure, the debut wasnt something special, but it think it will do decently on US.(Expecting somewhere around 300k to 400k to both versions combined)By the time the PS4 version releases, Rise on XOne will probably have sold 1.5 , 2 Millions.And it will get probably most sales in PS4.

Top kek. And this, folks, is why being an analyst and sales planner is actually a job that's learned. You can't seriously be expecting the game to sell 300/400k in the USA when COD and Fallout 4 released in the same month.

And you seem to forget that Tomb Raider is a famous and recognizable brand.Do you really expect that Tomb Raider, a figure extremely popular in gaming, wont be able to reach 1,5 Million in a console in a year?Especially since is the only way to play the game right now?Now thats what i call delusional.And yes, I CAN expect that, specially adding the fact that Black Friday is almost here, and while COD and Fallout will surely eat its sales, you cant seriously expect they will be the only games that will sell, specially in a market as big as USA?

I agree with you, thank god an analyst is a profession learned.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Blob said:
V-r0cK said:
There is no lesson to be learned for Square because this shouldn't be a surprise to them at all. We knew about this all along from the very beginning so how could Square not have known about this lol. They just wanted MS money that's all.

There's more to the deal than just Microsoft's money. Originally square and Ms thought that uncharted would be releasing at the same time. I'd imagine the idea was to have a showdown, where the internet was awash with articles about each competing with each other. That's basically free advertising. And then, well, uncharted got delayed, and the whole scheme fell through 

I see what you're saying here, but so do you think sales of TR would've been better or worst if Uncharted didn't get delayed?

I think TR's fate was sealed regardless when it was being released around the same time as Fallout4, Halo5, CoD BO3.  It's quite possible that Sony smart enough to delay it because surely it would've done poorly being in the middle of that cross fire, which also benefited ND and giving it more time to fine-tune the game.  MS probably had a contract to release it this year or else MS should've delayed it to the same time as Uncharted 4 if MS wanted that showndown again.

CGI-Quality said:
Snoopy said:

As noted, it's a waste of time to say "of course" or "I'm sure". Again, FFVII was always exclusive to PlayStation on console. Makes sense that the REMAKE is also exclusive to it (and like I said, there are a host of other reasons, too), without the need of any financial incentive. Heck, we could even take it there, because it may not even be in existence without Sony stepping in. All speculation, though.

Regarding Rise of Tomb Raider, there's nothing to sepeculate.

I think FF7 could've been on xbox one if Microsoft didn't force achievements for the game. I believe every game for Microsoft needs achievements.