By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Tomb Raider debuts at #5 in UK

think this is decent for UK, but those USA numbers... oh boy, what a flop.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Again, try looking it up. It became profitable at the end of 2013. The remaster was released in 2014.

With the remasterer it apparently exceeded expectations.

The Tomb Raider struggling to be profitable story is greatly exagerated. Square Enix apparently hoped it would be profitable in a month because it was so awesome, that didn't happen. But what did happen is it became profitable in under a year. The game was ultimatley a success even before they made more money with the remaster.

Yes, they wanted profits equal to that of Uncharted. They werent happy until they exceeded profit expectations, which took five platforms. You can look it up. They were complaining. Breaking even is enough, its about major profits for Square. Thinking about why they gave an exclusive like Tomb Raider to a losing team like Microsoft exclusively baffles even me, but whats done is done. Im playing it and I'll be playing next year so either way neither Microsoft nor Sony could screw me. I feel bad for those affected by Microsofts business decision though, as well as Microsoft gamers who will have to wait for FFVII later on in the gen. Then agan...I dont really feel that bad about FFVII (for nostalgia reasons) because that was born on Playstation, but its still not fair in truth.

Snoopy said:
CGI-Quality said:

As noted, it's a waste of time to say "of course" or "I'm sure". Again, FFVII was always exclusive to PlayStation on console. Makes sense that the REMAKE is also exclusive to it (and like I said, there are a host of other reasons, too), without the need of any financial incentive. Heck, we could even take it there, because it may not even be in existence without Sony stepping in. All speculation, though.

Regarding Rise of Tomb Raider, there's nothing to sepeculate.

I think FF7 could've been on xbox one if Microsoft didn't force achievements for the game. I believe every game for Microsoft needs achievements.

I think the timed exclusivity was payback for giving Microsoft Versus 13. Either way, Microsoft equalized the game by taking a beloved Sony favorite in Tomb Raider, but lost FF7 for a year. In the end they will still get it but they have to wait. XBox fans should be proud that they will be able to play both this gen. If Sony had the power they had during the PS2 era, FF7 wouldn't have ever touched the Xbox at all.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Snoopy said:

I think FF7 could've been on xbox one if Microsoft didn't force achievements for the game. I believe every game for Microsoft needs achievements.

I think the timed exclusivity was payback for giving Microsoft Versus 13. Either way, Microsoft equalized the game by taking a beloved Sony favorite in Tomb Raider, but lost FF7 for a year. In the end they will still get it but they have to wait. XBox fans should be proud that they will be able to play both this gen. If Sony had the power they had during the PS2 era, FF7 wouldn't have ever touched the Xbox at all.

Thats because the original xbox sold like crap. 24 million life time at the end. Xbox One will be around 30 million by the end of next year if everything keeps improving yoy. Also, porting games between xbox one and ps4 is pretty easy since they both use the same engines and architecture where as xbox one and ps2 were different regarding hardware. Sony might want to consider making their next console with a different architecture to discourage ports on the xbox one.

Snoopy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Thats because the original xbox sold like crap. 24 million life time at the end. Xbox One will be around 30 million by the end of next year if everything keeps improving yoy. Also, porting games between xbox one and ps4 is pretty easy since they both use the same engines and architecture where as xbox one and ps2 were different regarding hardware. Sony might want to consider making their next console with a different architecture to discourage ports on the xbox one.

Sony can't discourage ports. They need to save money while making affordable hardware and endorsing the profitability of their console and third party pockets (the biggest issue that Nintendo has always had with third party). This keeps competition at an even keel. It will always be a close race between the two with one having a slight edge and if you want higher graphics and resolution theres always PC (sans your favorite console exclusives). As for the Xbox sales number, it doesn't apply to Sony. The XBox in its first generation was critically its own enemy much like the Gamecube. It had more power, but no one really knew what to make of an American made videogame console. Everyone was used to Japanese hardware, so until Halo came out no one knew what to make of it. When Halo dropped the Xbox built a great name in the states. Without it, the Xbox would've sold less than half of what it sold. Of course, we need to count used sales in the figure as well because if everyone purchased Halo new.....who knows how much the first game would've sold.

Back to the point though, Sony's power in the industry has been more political and about popularity than monetary. Microsoft wins the money game.

Around the Network
Blob said:
V-r0cK said:
There is no lesson to be learned for Square because this shouldn't be a surprise to them at all. We knew about this all along from the very beginning so how could Square not have known about this lol. They just wanted MS money that's all.

There's more to the deal than just Microsoft's money. Originally square and Ms thought that uncharted would be releasing at the same time. I'd imagine the idea was to have a showdown, where the internet was awash with articles about each competing with each other. That's basically free advertising. And then, well, uncharted got delayed, and the whole scheme fell through 

I kind of agree.  IIsn't it funny how delaying Playstations biggest holiday exclusive was bad for Xbox and good for PlayStation! 

CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

1. When has FFVII ever released on Xbox?

2. There's not even been a corporate hint of FFVII Remake for the X1 (which, again, makes sense, given how it will sell more in territories where the X1 isn't doing too well). It's most likley for PC a year later, like Street Fighter V.

1. Not "When has"..but rather..."When will" is the correct wait to question this, but i'll answer anyway. They didnt have it, but Microsoft has leveled out the share of major third party support so that they can sustain themselves.Both consoles have 90% the same games and Square Enix needs as much money as possible. Staying exclusive these days stops you from getting the most profit possible, so first party is more inclined to invest in their own games and they have to.

2. Yes there was....It say "First on Playstation". Watch the reveal video. Common sense. You're an intelligent gamer. You know the lingo and bullshit by now.

CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

1. Not "When has"..but rather..."When will" is the correct wait to question this, but i'll answer anyway. They didnt have it, but Microsoft has leveled out the share of major third party support so that they can sustain themselves.Both consoles have 90% the same games and Square Enix needs as much money as possible. Staying exclusive these days stops you from getting the most profit possible, so first party is more inclined to invest in their own games and they have to.

2. Yes there was....It say "First on Playstation". Watch the reveal video. Common sense. You're an intelligent gamer. You know the lingo and bullshit by now.

You said: "If Sony had the power they had during the PS2 era, FF7 wouldn't have ever touched the Xbox at all." Thus, the "when has" was appropriate.

Next, "first on PlayStation" doesn't mean Xbox One at all. Like I said, with the trend of many multiplatform games going PS4/PC, it isn't unreasonable to assume the same for a game like Final Fantasy VII Remake (in fact, this would be THE title to make such an assumption, given it may not even exist without Sony's input).

Yes...and as I said to someone...Sony's power is political drawing from popularity and the sway that holds over the industry like the PS2 era. Microsoft has never had that and still doesnt have that. 

To the second part, no. You know as well that Square Enix would not sellout Microsoft this generation after last generation. In terms of sales for these types of games PS4> Xbox One> PC......as always. Unless Sony outbids Microsoft its not happening and their politics didnt stop Microsofts bid for FFXV. Whenever we see the "first on" situation we know its a tactic to draw the audience from direct competition. Microsoft and Sony have been doing timed exclusivity forever so I dont know how this cannot be seen.

CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yes...and as I said to someone...Sony's power is political drawing from popularity and the sway that holds over the industry like the PS2 era. Microsoft has never had that and still doesnt have that. 

To the second part, no. You know as well that Square Enix would not sellout Microsoft this generation after last generation. In terms of sales for these types of games PS4> Xbox One> PC......as always. Unless Sony outbids Microsoft its not happening and their politics didnt stop Microsofts bid for FFXV. Whenever we see the "first on" situation we know its a tactic to draw the audience from direct competition. Microsoft and Sony have been doing timed exclusivity forever so I dont know how this cannot be seen.

It isn't about "selling out" (Microsoft isn't owed FFVII Remake). After one long year of exclusivity, there's little to no reason to release it on the X1 (though I'm not saying it WON'T happen, either). For many, FFVII MADE PlayStation, so a release later will be pointless on the machine with a weak presence in important, FFVII, region(s). Most who will want it will buy it on the PS4 (or buy a PS4 for it). A PC release is of no consequence.

Xbox gamers will buy it, but not in the desired quantity that you would consider worthy of accolades. FFVII will sell Playstation consoles just like FFXV will sell Playstations in Japan (even though its multiplat). If FFXV gets a great reception on the XBox One on PS4 I could not even fathom how much VII will sell in next gen form.

TR will sell 2-3m on the PS4 no problem

shame i have to wait a year but still day one for me next hols,should ahve decent legs on the xbox if it is as good as people say with 87 meta,xbox has good choice right now but probbably thinner jan - march

Above & Beyond