By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 60Fps - is it really that important?

Is 60 fps just placebo?

Yes, you wont notice a big difference 98 28.32%

No!!!!!! 248 71.68%

Total:346

^ I see no difference in the bottom gif, yet at the top gravity is broken on the right side, must be on Jupiter.

Around the Network

in my opinion, a stable framerates more important than a high one.
I'd take 30fps locked and doesn't miss a beat, over 60fps with frequent dips.

Obviously, if a game can run at a high resolution and higher FPS, i'd want that, but none of the consoles can and likely won't ever without significant sacrifices, so 30fps rock solid and whatever res to get it there is fine for me, 60fps for 2d fighting games and indies, because theres no real reason not to, and they benefit more from the lower input latency.

Yes, 60fps is def matter a lot. One of the best Sony PlayStation decision for this year is to make Uncharted 4 MP and No Man's Sky running at 900p 60fps instead of the traditional 1080p 30fps. They should do the same with Horizon Zero Dawn.
Trust me! a 900p to 1080p, you won't see the different. But a 60fps ? Yes, it def looks smoother and better, and even IF it dip to 30fps you won't even notice at all! But if a 30fps game dropped to 15 fps then oh mind, it's called laggy.

SvennoJ said:
Sharpryno said:
That above ^

and the classic UFO test.

http://testufo.com/#test=framerates

People can notice 60fps and 120fps even easier.

People can also notice a 120hz monitor vs 144hz....

Nice set of tests, that shows the difference very clearly. Yet you can also see that it all depends on scroll speed. Actually the default 960 pixels/second is still too fast for 60 fps (I don't have a 120fps monitor so it doesn't show that state) Also the moving picture test is hard to follow at 60fps. The best would be to have the frame rate high enough that the picture only moves 1 pixel per step, no skipping.
There must also be a difference between video and this test, as even at 120 pixels/second text is not scrolling smooth at 30fps. Yet end titles from movies at 24fps don't seem to jump like the text example does. (And yes I have 24p mode on both tv and projector)

Anyway as I said before, 60fps is more important in fast moving side scrollers like Sonic and Raymand legends. It matters a lot less for 3D games where you turn and look. You don't pan the screen, just as you don't rotate you head with your eyes fixed forward in real life. Also in sim racers you focus on the point where you are going which moves slow enough not to matter between 30fps and 60fps. Well maybe in twitchy karts, F1 cars and Red Bull X1.

After that set of tests showing how crap LCD is, maybe it's time to hook up that old 120hz CRT monitor again.

Thats why you get a 120hz with Lightboost.  144hz monitor can use lightboost too, it just takes it down to 120hz.

Lightboost is wicked awesome.

60 Hz Refresh rate:

120 Hz Refresh rate:

120 Hz LightBoost: CRT quality motion

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vsLB/

vivster said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Hahaha shows how much you know.

For instance the PS3 at the time had the equivalent of an i5 and a high end GPU.  When the PS4 launched it had the equivalent of an i3 and a high-end GPU (However it has far more RAM for its time than before).

But all of this doesn't matter because you clearly didn't read what I said - The bulk of my post talked about how developers are sacrificing resolution for extra effects (Effects you can't see well because the resolution is too low).

Furthermore, I am not sure how you have missed that some of the more poorly optimized games do in fact keep a better framerate on X1 like AC Unity and Project Cars.

That still does not make your statements true. These "effects" you are mentioning are calculated mostly by the GPU as well.  

Yes they are - and they are preventing 1080p.  What aren't you getting here?

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Sharpryno said:
That above ^

There must also be a difference between video and this test, as even at 120 pixels/second text is not scrolling smooth at 30fps. Yet end titles from movies at 24fps don't seem to jump like the text example does. (And yes I have 24p mode on both tv and projector)

This jumping that's going on, is when you take a different FPS material and output it in a higher FPS. This is what happens when film is telecined to 29.97fps. You're adding in fake frames. So a half jump is forced in. Watch a side by side comparaison of Star Trek TNG. You'll see the 24fps film moves smoothly. But the tape master footage at 30fps jerks around, and lags behind.

archer9234 said:
SvennoJ said:
Sharpryno said:
That above ^

This jumping that's going on, is when you take a different FPS material and output it in a higher FPS. This is what happens when film is telecined to 29.97fps. You're adding in fake frames. So a half jump is forced in. Watch a side by side comparaison of Star Trek TNG. You'll see the 24fps film moves smoothly. But the tape master footage at 30fps jerks around, and lags behind.

I know about the telecine process but that's not relevant here. 24 to 30 duplicates every 4th frame, yet 30 to 60 simply doubles every frame. Since LCD doesn't flicker (as long as you don't have LED with PWM) it should look smoother than running the tv in 24fps mode with a movie.
I guess it must be because I'm sitting right on top of the monitor with 60fps scrolling right next to it.

Those tape masters were interlaced too using the 3:2 pulldown mechanic, I'm glad that's in the past. Although on a CRT it worked better than repeating the 4th frame which you get now with movies on TV. Now we have A B C D D, Before A1 A2 B1 B2 B2 C1 C2 D1 D2 D2 (it's actually 2:3 pulldown) which creates less judder.

I grew up in PAL country, there 24fps simply got sped up to run at 25fps. Smooth, yet always odd that movies were a bit shorter in PAL format :)

SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:
SvennoJ said:
Sharpryno said:
That above ^

I grew up in PAL country, there 24fps simply got sped up to run at 25fps. Smooth, yet always odd that movies were a bit shorter in PAL format :)

You lost like 6 minutes of the movie. It's like what 5% sped up or something. Such a pain in the ass to fix the pitch for stuff. The Farscape movie was badly pitched down. And Lots of Disney TV masters were taken from PAL copies. Really annoying lol.