By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 60Fps - is it really that important?

Is 60 fps just placebo?

Yes, you wont notice a big difference 98 28.32%

No!!!!!! 248 71.68%

Total:346
MikeRox said:
Shadow1980 said:

Apparently, 99.99% of 3D polygon-based games released between 1995 and 2005 were unplayable, because only a tiny number of them ran at 60 fps. Interestingly enough, at least a plurality of gamers seem to consider the PS2 their favorite console, despite a minuscule fraction of its games running at 60fps. Even last generation 60fps wasn't the norm. For some reason, in the past couple of years 60fps for console games became the Holy Grail of Gaming, that one goal that every game should strive, a goal more important than any other.

Yet I have to ask: "Why?" For many years gamers were fine playing games that ran at 30fps. The vast majority of games I've played over the past 20 years ran at 30fps (sometimes less for fifth-gen games). I think the only fifth- or sixth-gen games I played that were 60fps were F-Zero X and Soul Calibur. Last generation the only 60fps games I played were Soul Calibur IV, Bayonetta, several COD games (COD2, COD4, & Black Ops), and several first-party Nintendo games. This generation, the only 60fps games I own are Battlefield 4, the MCC and Halo 5, and several Nintendo games. I've honestly noticed no real benefit going from 30fps to 60fps. All the Halo games ran perfectly fine and were perfectly playable at 30fps, and I don't feel like 60fps was any real improvement for the series; in fact, 343i's commitment to 60fps may have been a contributing factor to the loss of split-screen. Old sixth-gen games played perfectly fine at 30fps as well.

But I will say that, at least for certain kinds of games, I just don't care for 60fps. While it doesn't seem to bother me much with platformers, fighting games, and racing games, FPSs and third-person shooters/action games running at 60fps has always bugged me. When I played COD games on the 360 I always thought they felt unnaturally smooth. When I got TLoU: Remastered for the PS4, the 60fps mode likewise looked unnaturally smooth, so I had to switch the frame rate to 30fps. It took me weeks to adjust to 60fps Halo when I got the MCC, and even now after a year it just seems... odd much of the time.

EDIT: Y'know, I'd actually like for some kind of study to be done to see if gamers experience on average better overall performance in a game running at 60fps vs. a game running at 30fps. If there is no measurable difference, then the "60fps plays better" argument would seem to be largely illusory.

Funny you put this. It was actually the 6th generation consoles that made me care about 60fps. Plenty of Dreamcast games ran at 60fps. Same for PS2. It's actually become far less common since the 7th gen.

A big part of that is likely the shift of focus of gaming from arcade games.

Even most of the Dreamcast and PS2 launch titles were all 60fps. So I don't get where this myth that it's a recent thing comes from.

You didnt experience these games in 60fps but 50fps tough

Around the Network
Ruler said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Wow...if you can't tell the difference in framerate going from COD to Destiny then I don't even know what to say. Myself and my friends who play both games unanimously agree how harsh the transition is going from 60 to 30 FPS. 

It's almost like I'm seeing rain fall outside and you're saying it's sunny. Not much I can say to that.

i disagree
I went from MGS5 to Bloodborne a lot of times and its no big deal for me. You notice it at the start but it easily becomes playable after view seconds because the graphics in bloodborne are alot better and it has a great motionblur effect. Destiny on the other hand doesnt look as impressive to justify 30fps which i played the demo once.

I never said 30FPS was unplayable. If it was the hundreds of 30 FPS games over the years would not be playable. It's just that 60 FPS is more responsive, smooth and quite frankly better. I'd give up graphical fidelity for 60 FPS anyday. That being said action/adventure games like Bloodborne or MGS5 don't have much to gain from 60 FPS as they don't require as much precision in their controls. FPS, fighting and driving games definitely have a lot to gain from 60 FPS though.

Yes, they are. That said, not every game needs it...

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

UltimateUnknown said:
JNK said:

already doing this. No problems. Dont notice any difference in both games.

Wow...if you can't tell the difference in framerate going from COD to Destiny then I don't even know what to say. Myself and my friends who play both games unanimously agree how harsh the transition is going from 60 to 30 FPS. 

It's almost like I'm seeing rain fall outside and you're saying it's sunny. Not much I can say to that.

well i dont really have any reason to lie about that right?

In my opinion what you and your friends imagine to see is just placebo, because you KNOW that destiny is just 30 fps. So many people believed/still believing that games like Windwaker HD and Hyrule Warrios would run in 60 fps just confirms that its might be just placebo. 

I have a pc gamer friend who said the same like you. We made a "test" on my ps4, Last of us Remastered in 30 and 60 fps. He couldnt tell the difference (blind test)

It certainly is nicer for aiming mechanics but not mandatory in every game.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
MikeRox said:

Funny you put this. It was actually the 6th generation consoles that made me care about 60fps. Plenty of Dreamcast games ran at 60fps. Same for PS2. It's actually become far less common since the 7th gen.

Even most of the Dreamcast and PS2 launch titles were all 60fps. So I don't get where this myth that it's a recent thing comes from.

You didnt experience these games in 60fps but 50fps tough

Yes I did, Dreamcast PAL games had a 60hz option and I had an NTSC imported PS2 :)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

NightDragon83 said:
MikeRox said:

While some of those games did indeed run at 60fps, like you said many of them were arcade games so they weren't exactly pushing new boundaries in the visuals department either.  Crazy Taxi and Soul Caliber for example were ports of arcade games, and then you had PS2 launch titles like Ridge Racer V which while running at 60fps was also a jaggy mess like most early PS2 games were...

Very few games that generation managed to really impress visually while holding a rock solid 60fps.  F-Zero GX is one of the few titles that comes to mind that actually accomplished this...

Ironically given your post... F-Zero is an arcade port :p

Actually 60fps arcade ports themselves were a huge deal in the 6th gen. The Dreamcast was the first home console to consistently deliver arcade perfect home conversions. PS1 and Saturn always had cut back visuals and/or halved frame rates. This is because the Dreamcast was practically an arcade board in a home console.

If you don't think games like Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur were impressive in 1999/2000 I'd love to know what visually boundary pushing console games you were playing at that time...

From a Soul Calibur review: " There are the graphics nuts out there, for instance, whose interest in the product will be for nothing more than its graphical splendor. These individuals can take solace in the fact that Soul Calibur is a indeed a beautiful game. In fact, it's probably the most graphically impressive title you'll see on the American DC this year (only NFL2K has managed to impress me as much)."

Crazy Taxi: Sparks fly, phone booths crumble under-tire, pedestrians dive out of the way, cars flip..you'll see it all in Taxi and thanks to the game's amazing visuals, all will want to see it, as well. I can't recall the last time a game has drawn in this many on-lookers, much less the last time this many non-gamers simply had to put down their work and give it a go. Everyone from Accounting to the fun-deprived Power Students had a sit-down with this game, and the mass of addicts often exceeded 10 or more eager gamers. Remember that this in an office where the majority of the people play games for a living! If you're looking for a show-pony for your new console, this is an unquestionably good choice.

You also don't think Gran Turismo 3 was visually mind blowing in 2001? What racing games were on the market that looked notably better? Could ask the same about Metal Gear Solid 2. These 2 games were the PS2's visual showcases prior to release and a big factor in the hype around the PS2s power.

JNK said:
UltimateUnknown said:

In my opinion what you and your friends imagine to see is just placebo, because you KNOW that destiny is just 30 fps. So many people believed/still believing that games like Windwaker HD and Hyrule Warrios would run in 60 fps just confirms that its might be just placebo. 

I have a pc gamer friend who said the same like you. We made a "test" on my ps4, Last of us Remastered in 30 and 60 fps. He couldnt tell the difference (blind test)

We didn't know that Destiny was 30 FPS when it was first released (I didn't even care for the game until I got it as a gift). It's because it felt so weird transitioning between the games that we found out afterwards that it was a difference in frame rate.

UltimateUnknown said:
JNK said:

We didn't know that Destiny was 30 FPS when it was first released (I didn't even care for the game until I got it as a gift). It's because it felt so weird transitioning between the games that we found out afterwards that it was a difference in frame rate.

This was pretty much how I first started to notice the difference. Well I more could see a "double vision" effect on the movement on some of my games, while others flew by silky smooth. (Metropolis Street Racer and F355 Challenge were the click moment when I tried to find out what the difference was).

The thing is, not everybody CAN see the difference. However I can guarantee you give me a blind test of 30fps vs 60fps I can pick them out every time. This was how I knew Zelda WW was 30fps despite all the reviews claiming 60fps. What a disappointing day that was.

MikeRox said:
UltimateUnknown said:

This was pretty much how I first started to notice the difference. Well I more could see a "double vision" effect on the movement on some of my games, while others flew by silky smooth. (Metropolis Street Racer and F355 Challenge were the click moment when I tried to find out what the difference was).

The thing is, not everybody CAN see the difference. However I can guarantee you give me a blind test of 30fps vs 60fps I can pick them out every time. This was how I knew Zelda WW was 30fps despite all the reviews claiming 60fps. What a disappointing day that was.

See that's the thing. To me the difference is so obvious that it's hard to believe others may not see it.

I think this website does a very good comparison between the two: http://www.30vs60.com/bf4driving.php