By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who will be the next 'new dog' to consoles?

Who will it be?

Disney 11 7.59%

Apple 30 20.69%

Amazon 15 10.34%

Google 31 21.38%

Sega returns! 33 22.76%

Steam Machines with EXCLUSIVE games 25 17.24%

Total:145

No one.

Around the Network

Consoles are not that important anymore. With mobile growing day by day, why would Apple, Google or Samsung try to enter a market that needs tons of investment and has too many risks of failing, when just keeping their mobile stores make them millions upon millions as it is?

Disney also makes tons of cash on both regular gaming and mobile, but again, why investing in a piece of hardware that's going to limit your userbase more than broaden it? Even Nintendo is exploring the mobile market to expand their userbase. Same with EA and other gaming publishers.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

nobody.

Either Sony/Disney or Google. But I think google will be in the far off future cause they will just still start to buy other companies first. While Sony/Disney are already improving a lot. Kingdom Hearts 3 foreshadows their victory lol

Valve is joining the console war very soon. Microsoft and Sony better be ready for some hard competition. Sony/Microsoft better start investing into making some big games that sell well or buy out big games because valve with their current first party library would reck them all in an instant (not a joke).

Around the Network

Well, the new Apple TV already is kind of a console, is it not? If games get big enough, I'm sure Apple will release some kind of a beefed up Apple TV Gamer edition or something.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

There wont be a new competitor for a long time, at the very least.Its a high risk high investment business.And I personally dont think none of the 3 will leave in the next generation, so no chance of one entering any time soon.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Not really sure I could see anyone stepping into the console market the way it is now... but in fantasy land maybe someone nuts like Activision Blizzard, founded by people who worked with a Console and seen exactly how you mess it up now after joining up with King and even blizzard they have a crazy amount of gaming power under their belts.... but yeah I can't really see it happening, but if anyone could pull it off I'd think they'd have the best chance of making it a success.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Also, wasn't there a chinese android console that looked like a PS4 with a Xbox controller? Does that one count?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

binary solo said:

And how much of that huge amount of money is hardware profit? Bugger all. Console hardware is a mug's game. By all accounts over the lifetime of Xbox MS has failed to turn a profit despite cumulatively selling in excess of 100 million units. And there are hundreds of millions more devices aside from consoles and Smart TVs that play those streaming services so consoles are not so important to Netflix and the like as you suggest.

The real money in gaming is in the games, not in the hardware.

And the PS4 was already profitable a quarter after release. There is money to be made on hardware. And consoles are very important to netflix as a big chunk of their users connect via consoles.