By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2015 NPD Thread! Everything is in the OP!

Are 305k for xone and 276k for ps4 final numbers or they may be correctes later?

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
DonFerrari said:

I just hope that some other trolls that have been doing even worse are taken care in similar fashion. 

I'll be talking to the head mod later today about exactly that.

Hope it turns out positive. And it would have my support. Best of luck, that may make either the forum too bleach or can flourish good discussion, hope the second is the outcome.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SWORDF1SH said:

I think he deserved the action you took but I also think it was mishandled. Should of it been handled like this in the thread? Most moderation messgaes are sent to the person breaking the rule, not out in the open.

I don't agree with Abun either but singling out one side (in this case the PS fan) like it's only them that causes trouble along with calling people out openly in threads undoes the good moderating on here. I'm not saying you're a bad mod, but you went to far this time.

I appreciate your honesty, but as i've already stated, it isn't about xbox fans or playstation fans, just the general tone of the forum where people feel that they can get away with trolling over other consoles when the other consoles fanbase is smaller, at the current time that would be the xbox, that doesn't imply that it's just PlayStation fans doing it, at the same time it does not imply that Microsoft fans aren't also guilty of trolling just as bad or worse at times.

Perhaps I did handle it poorly and should have issued it just in PM, but that's on me and i'll gladly accept the criticism for that, but then, I don't moderate these forums for popularity, and I have a fairly consistent track record of not beating around the bush and simply laying things out cold, to some that's seen as a bad thing to others, good. Personally it doesn't make a difference either way.

I apologize for handling the way the topic ban notice was issued, I do not apologize however, for issuing it in the first place.

My only priority is in putting a stop to the needless and destructive practice of consistent and problematic flaming, trollinng and baiting for users who should have known better by the third moderation, yet somehow made it to 30+ and still feel like pushing their luck and continuing down a slippery path.

This kind of behaviour needs to stop, it doesnt matter what fanbase the persons batting for, or posting against, people continuing to repeatedly break the same rules and brush off the moderation, or worse, wear the moderation like some sort of badge of honor, makes a mockery of both the site and it's staff, but also sticks a firm middle finger up to the other users of the site.

That isn't to say the site has to be a bubble of saftey and cult-esque attitudes where everyones the best of friends and believe the same things, because that isn't needed, disagreeement breeds discussion and debate, and dicussion and debate are the lifeblood of a forum, but in that same sense, trolling and flaming are the cancer.

It's perfectly fine to disagree with someone, you don't even need to like them, but disagreement or disliking someone isn't a free pass to troll, bait and flame, and repeat offenders need to be, in my opinion, handled with the kid-gloves taken off, especially when they have demonstrated repeatedly that they're unwilling to change their ways through normal moderation.

SWORDF1SH said:

I think he deserved the action you took but I also think it was mishandled. Should of it been handled like this in the thread? Most moderation messgaes are sent to the person breaking the rule, not out in the open.

I don't agree with Abun either but singling out one side (in this case the PS fan) like it's only them that causes trouble along with calling people out openly in threads undoes the good moderating on here. I'm not saying you're a bad mod, but you went to far this time.

I can't agree, Swordf1sh. I think a mod openly discussing things like this in the thread is sometimes healthy and much needed. More clandestined discussions with particular offenders via PMs only helps isolated cases and doesn't address the whole forum -- which it should when needed. The person in question HAS shown some rather overt aggression and gloating on many occasions and had it coming, although (and this really needs to be taken into consideration) English is obviously this particular persons second larguage and so nuances of irony or tongue in cheek are easily lost. There's a fine line between banter and jabs and I can only imagine that line getting blurrier when you don't know the ins and outs of a particular language. I hope the mods have the good grace to take this into consideration in the future, but all in all I don't disagree that occasionally they need to publicly reprimand someone.

The PS5 Exists. 

DonFerrari said:

It was a little different than usual. But I believe Tachi done out of the ordinary to make it stand as an example so others see that if they keep the bashing the will have the same destiny

Well if I see every situation is handled like that by every mod, I would lose a lot of respect for the mods and just wouldn't come here. Mods have a job to respect the community when handling these situations. Singling out one fan base isn't right. As for Ethomaz, I kinda like him but a perma ban would be deserved.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:

I appreciate your honesty, but as i've already stated, it isn't about xbox fans or playstation fans, just the general tone of the forum where people feel that they can get away with trolling over other consoles when the other consoles fanbase is smaller, at the current time that would be the xbox, that doesn't imply that it's just PlayStation fans doing it, at the same time it does not imply that Microsoft fans aren't also guilty of trolling just as bad or worse at times.

Perhaps I did handle it poorly and should have issued it just in PM, but that's on me and i'll gladly accept the criticism for that, but then, I don't moderate these forums for popularity, and I have a fairly consistent track record of not beating around the bush and simply laying things out cold, to some that's seen as a bad thing to others, good. Personally it doesn't make a difference either way.

I apologize for handling the way the topic ban notice was issued, I do not apologize however, for issuing it in the first place.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

GribbleGrunger said:

I can't agree, Swordf1sh. I think a mod openly discussing things like this in the thread is sometimes healthy and much needed. More clandestined discussions with particular offenders via PMs only helps isolated cases and doesn't address the whole forum -- which it should when needed. The person in question HAS shown some rather overt aggression and gloating on many occasions and had it coming, although (and this really needs to be taken into consideration) English is obviously this particular persons second larguage and so nuances of irony or tongue in cheek are easily lost. There's a fine line between banter and jabs and I can only imagine that line getting blurrier when you don't know the ins and outs of a particular language. I hope the mods have the good grace to take this into consideration in the future, but all in all I don't disagree that occasionally they need to publicly reprimand someone.

You could be right gg. I think I had more of an issue of Tachikoma singling out the PS fans but he explained why  he said it in his second post.

So came back after being gone for a while. Haven't trawled through all the pages to find where the PS4 276 number comes from, anyone what to cacth me up? Boutros didn't put a reference in the OP.

Anyway a close but low selling month for Consoles Xb one looks impressive YoY because Oct 2014 it was still $399 and of course we have Halo.

Complete wow at only 1 million physical for Halo 5. Basically existing Xb one owners kinda stayed away from the game. 150K-ish I guess from the bundle, which doesn't add much, but if the best selling opening week of all time on XBL store really means > minecraft week 1 then we are probably looking at around 1 million globally(?) of digital sales to existing Xb one owners, which is completely amazing and will end up being a very substantial % of total game sales. It will be totally impossible to get a good sense of the Halo 5 LTD even if we get decent accuracy in the physical sales. My guess is digital for Halo 5 might be in the 30% to 40% range globally.

What else is interesting? What has the ban count got up to?

I guess VGC is way off with NBA2K. But they might be not far off with NDC. If NDC 2nd and 3rd week drops are quite large, and the fact VGC counts bundles, it's possible that 8th spot on NPD, even in a low selling month could be in the 300-350K range.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

GribbleGrunger said:

The person in question HAS shown some rather overt aggression and gloating on many occasions and had it coming, although (and this really needs to be taken into consideration) English is obviously this particular persons second larguage and so nuances of irony or tongue in cheek are easily lost. There's a fine line between banter and jabs and I can only imagine that line getting blurrier when you don't know the ins and outs of a particular language. 

I understand where you're coming from, as English too is my second language. so when handing out moderations I often take language differences, the social climate (what games just released, what score did a recent game get, what major news story postive or negative recently break) and other such things as that.

But it's my opinion that elements such as these can only be used to "pass" a persons behaviour the first few times, there has to be some effort on the part of the user to make a change as well as a degree of reponsibility for their own actions, and when in certain cases a user steps over the line for the 10th, 20th or 30th time, I find it hard to use things like language barrier or the social climate to excuse their actions because they should, at that point, know better.

I don't hate or even dislike Ethomaz, despite his tendancy to break the rules, so i'd like to hope that he will take the topic-ban maturely and, hopefully, learn from the experience so that the ban can be lifted and he can resume being involved in other discussions in future.

I did issue him a second message explaining in greater detail the reasons for the topic ban and my hopes for his future posting, in a much calmer manner, so hopefully it works.

Halo 5 sales are indeed so disappointing I find it hard to believe 😣 now I'm worried about Gears4 sales too. What are X1 gamers playing then? COD? Ugh..