By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2015 NPD Thread! Everything is in the OP!

KiigelHeart said:
Halo 5 sales are indeed so disappointing I find it hard to believe 😣 now I'm worried about Gears4 sales too. What are X1 gamers playing then? COD? Ugh..

Well exclusive wise Halo is still winning hard. Both Sony and MS have ~1-1.5m sales from exclusives this year. But Sony's is way more spread out while for MS it is mostly Halo.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
jason1637 said:

No I would be cocky. Only losing by 50k during halo month isn't bad.

The post you quoted was the sarcastic form of damage control.

damage control? What damage? There is no damage to control. If XB1 had not won during Halo launch month then there would need to be damage control. If PS4 does not win Nov with all the bundles then there will be "damage" control posts.  Being within 50k the month of the launch of the biggest exclusive the XB1 will ever likely have, and in its best territory is actually pretty good.

How much did the PS4 lead by back in March when a little "niche" title called bloodborne launched? Bloodborne must be a bigger system seller than Halo these days I guess...  

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Destiny, PS4 and CoD's decline and fps domination was already telling Halo 5 won't reach the former heights.

hudsoniscool said:

Damn if halo 5 only did 1 million npd digital is crazy high. Minecraft did 1 million fw digital and ms says 5 did even better.

Halo 5 probably did not do as well as Minecraft. It is down to Microsoft's PR phrasing:

Halo 5: Guardians, leading to it becoming the best-selling digital game ever in the Xbox Store for an opening week.

https://news.xbox.com/2015/11/04/halo-5-guardians-biggest-halo-launch-in-history/

Minecraft continues to set records on Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade platform

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/5/14/3020094/minecraft-for-xbox-360-has-already-sold-1-million-copies

Unless I remember incorrectly, Microsoft changed the name of its digital platform with the launch of XOne. So, Halo 5 is definitely the best selling XOne digital game, but we cannot use Minecraft to compare the two games. Clever marketing, though.

SWORDF1SH said:

You could be right gg. I think I had more of an issue of Tachikoma singling out the PS fans but he explained why  he said it in his second post.

I'm always right! (no I'm not ...). Part of the problem is it's difficult to put your personality accross in text and so words don't have the same nuance of meaning you're intending. There are no interjections and so it can only be comment/response/comment/response. In real life you may want to just interject occasionally to prevent a person from veering off into uncharted areas, which is why I'll occasionally remind people about compartmentalisation, which is really important when discussing in text. Without that ability it's easy to see why some people think you are 'downplaying' or 'damage control' when in actual fact you're simply discussing a point in isolation that has no conection with anything other than trying to clarify your position.

A perfect example would be one of my recent comments in the Amazon thread when I said the PS4 sold more consoles in October (making the Amazon prediction correct) but the XB1 sold more console in NPD because of the preorders. When I write something like that I usually immediately delete it simply because I know it nearly always leads to uneccessary defence of what I'm saying ... and that gets on my wick. It's not 'downplaying' it's simply offering a solution to a discrepancy, but because I'm a PS4 fan the conclusions are obvious. I recently got banned from Gaf because I called Gies a liar in connection with his flip-flopping Tweet about the performance of Fallout 4. Evidently I was a 'fanboy' and got banned with a warning that if I did it again I'd be banned for good. This is to do with the inability of the mods over there to compartmentalise: 'Liar!' > 'Gies is pro XB1' > 'GG is pro PS4' > 'fanboy comment' = ban. No, I was simply calling him a liar, nothing else.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
DonFerrari said:

It was a little different than usual. But I believe Tachi done out of the ordinary to make it stand as an example so others see that if they keep the bashing the will have the same destiny

Well if I see every situation is handled like that by every mod, I would lose a lot of respect for the mods and just wouldn't come here. Mods have a job to respect the community when handling these situations. Singling out one fan base isn't right. As for Ethomaz, I kinda like him but a perma ban would be deserved.

I do like discression, and I even said to tachi that I hope the same view is used for other offenders independently of the base... and that I don't care much about his singling him or he being ps fan, but sometimes it seems that Xbox fan get free pass because they are few so they try to preserve them or since they get hit from all sides they would have worse reaction from the continued bulling. But Tachi haven't done this because it's particularly a sony fan or ethomaz.

I would agree about the exposition if it was a common thing tachi does or other mods... but this is very rare, and since this isn't in the rules (ban to mention a platform) it's important that he make it very clear for everyone what is happening. Because by the rules so far I don't see ethomaz having break any

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Disappointing month all round, Lets just hope the Halo sales boost and PS4 price cut has more of an effect in November along with the big month of new software releases.

Someone was saying ps2 got a 40% bump on its first price drop from its average during that year. According to his calculation 40% on ps4 this year would bring it to about 280k. Bearing in mind the ps2 had a 100 euro drop and ps4 only has 50 off for now. I think the preorders made it tricky to read and overall it wasn't the exciting month we had all decided it must be. For November the preorders now go the other way.....

Bryank75 said:
Someone was saying ps2 got a 40% bump on its first price drop from its average during that year. According to his calculation 40% on ps4 this year would bring it to about 280k. Bearing in mind the ps2 had a 100 euro drop and ps4 only has 50 off for now. I think the preorders made it tricky to read and overall it wasn't the exciting month we had all decided it must be. For November the preorders now go the other way.....

Yes, and this month the preorders go with the flow of sales and not against it.

The PS5 Exists. 

What? NPD officially posting at NeoGAF? I can't believe it! Could it be fake?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185308652&postcount=2812