By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

method114 said:
I really haven't heard much about this game and it's already out. This was such a wasted effort by MS and Square just buried any hype this game had by releasing it right now. Tomb Raider needs to be released when nothing else is around it's not a big enough franchise to be taking on COD, Star Wars, and Fallout. What a stupid stupid move by both companies.

On a plus side, nobody is paying attention to TR's technical issues, input lag / 25fps / image quality. Too busy crucifying Fallout.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
HoloDust said:

Nah, not at all, I just recently played TR1 on no less than tablet, and yes, controls are bit wierd as always, but games is still masterpiece (when I find time I'll buy TR2 as well, I think it released on Play Store recently).

Sure, not all Core's TRs were great, after all, TR suffered in the end from common virus called annualization. Indeed, CD did revive it, but that was mostly due to new engine and new controls, something that TR was long overdue.

CD's versions lost some of the original platforming in the process, but it was still core (or Core, however you like it) TR experience - Anniversary was very good (though not as good as TR1, some messed up levels compared to original and silly boss fights), Legend was decent (too much shooting for my taste), Underworld was quite good.

You can compare Core and CD's (pre-Reboot) games and find differences, as many fans have been doing since CD took over, but in the essence, they are TR games - exploration, puzzles, platforming, acrobatics (both in platforming and combat) with kick-ass Lara.

Reboot is simply not TR, and given reviews, neither is the new one.

Honestly, as one TR fan of the old to another, would you rather have another game like Underworld or this Rebooted mess that tries so desperatly to appeal to masses and forgets completely about its roots?

Seeing argue with you on that one. I tend to love Tomb Raider games anyway.  Let me say this though--I'm playing Rise right now and I haven't shit a single person, yet.  It's got that old Tomb Raider feel (at least for the couple of hours I've logged in) and I think you'll love it. Lots of exploration, puzzles, and a feeling of isolation. I don't know how long it will last but I HIGHLY recommend you try it!

I'm just worried that, in this world of fast paced shooters, a slow paced game like this (so far) is going to turn off a lot of people. 

Given how I felt that I've wasted money on last one, SE will not get my money for main TR (spin-offs like Guardian/Osiris are ok) until there is actually proper TR game, with all the old stuff and old Lara...maybe that will be next game, maybe that just never happens. But, eventually I will try this one. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it, I'm off to get pissed off by another franchise that is in my 'Top 5 IPs with at least 3 entries' that got ruined, but this one is at least half ruined...yep, Fallout.

I don't see how this exclusivity deal is bad for CD/SE?

They'll have got their £££ out of the deal. Maybe boosted Xbox sales across this Q4? Then I don't think many PS4 owners will no longer want the game next year, especially if it launches with DLC and is a GOTY edition.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

SvennoJ said:
method114 said:
I really haven't heard much about this game and it's already out. This was such a wasted effort by MS and Square just buried any hype this game had by releasing it right now. Tomb Raider needs to be released when nothing else is around it's not a big enough franchise to be taking on COD, Star Wars, and Fallout. What a stupid stupid move by both companies.

On a plus side, nobody is paying attention to TR's technical issues, input lag / 25fps / image quality. Too busy crucifying Fallout.

ha well yea I guess that is a plus I literally haven't heard anything about this game except for the few threads talking about reviews and I just read the title's and moved on. This game would have been a perfect summer release for MS when they tend to not release much of anything.

Mr Puggsly said:

Who cares?

This deal was made just to make Sony fans feel bad for a year. That's why all exclusive deal exist, to piss people off.

Anyhow, I do believe its time to play Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Pretty much this, the same happens for PC/PS4/Wii U/Xbox players all the time. That and SE is likely to get more out of this deal in the end anyway.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I called this way back during E3. Stupid. Let's release a mid tier franchise not on the console which has the user base for the genre directly against Fallout, CoD, Halo, and Battlefront. Pure brilliance.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Who cares?

This deal was made just to make Sony fans feel bad for a year. That's why all exclusive deal exist, to piss people off.

Pretty much this, the same happens for PC/PS4/Wii U/Xbox players all the time. That and SE is likely to get more out of this deal in the end anyway.

I actually think SE is losing on this deal. I don't know how much they were paid by MS so I guess that's the main thing I would have to consider. Either way though I think they're hurting the overall franchise by doing this. They may have come out ahead with this game because of MS's money but what did they lose by doing this? MS wont be there for TR3 at least I wouldn't rely on them being there. So now by the time the game comes out will anyone still care? Sure I will but I'll be waiting until it drop to sub $20 on steam. Mainly because the first one started off great but got really boring towards the middle and I had to force my way through the rest of the game. I could be wrong I just don't really see how SE is winning here this game is getting less hype then it did when the first one came out.

Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Who cares?

Unlikely, Sony's likely to take the same approach they did last gen by requiring additional blah blah blah on timed exclusives.  Except they can really demand more since SE would lose out on a massive amt of sales (likely more than what will sell on XB1), otherwise.

method114 said:

I actually think SE is losing on this deal. I don't know how much they were paid by MS so I guess that's the main thing I would have to consider. Either way though I think they're hurting the overall franchise by doing this. They may have come out ahead with this game because of MS's money but what did they lose by doing this? MS wont be there for TR3 at least I wouldn't rely on them being there. So now by the time the game comes out will anyone still care? Sure I will but I'll be waiting until it drop to sub $20 on steam. Mainly because the first one started off great but got really boring towards the middle and I had to force my way through the rest of the game. I could be wrong I just don't really see how SE is winning here this game is getting less hype then it did when the first one came out.

I feel the opposite tbh, the sales SE was going to make on Xbox was the sales they are going to make now even if they released all at the same time. MS just happened to throw exra money towards SE and during the first half of 2016 they will release towards the PC market and make their money from that sector and of course near the end half of that year they will then sell to PS4 which will also make them their money. Really they are just going from one system at a time to collect what they can, Rockstar did this with PC for enarly 2 years and they made plenty of money even without being paid to hold it off. The same happens when Sony does the same tbh.

Well tbh NMS has been hyped and held off two other systems for nearly 3 years now (yes 3 if you count the conceptual stages before PS4 was even remotely announced) and has been pushed back till next summer which I;m sure will have killed most of the hype but again time will tell what happens to that game.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

A bit late to this thread, but IMO it was a strategic mistake to take a long standing multi-plat franchise and make it a timed exclusive as a counter to Uncharted.

As Phil Spencer noted, he would very much like an Uncharted type franchise for Xbox and it seems like their studios have been working up ideas. The money they spent on RoTR may well have been better invested in actually getting a new adventure franchise up and running sooner.

What they should have done is poach Amy Hennig from EA, and got her to start working on an entirely new franchise idea. There are loads of people who love Amy Hennig's work and if she brought a quality new 1st party franchise to Xbox, that did not have the stench of moneyhatting a long-standing PS oriented 3rd party franchise, that would earn Xbox a whole bunch of new friends. And people might even be grateful that MS rescued Amy's soul from EA. That sort of strategy has win written all over it. A pity MS didn't take it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix