By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X is the biggest game of the year...

sc94597 said:
spemanig said:

My oh my. I sure hope there is a system in the game that resticts the amount of time you can stay in a Skell to avoid this happening...

From what I gather fuel is costly, so you want to save your Skell for only enemies that are a pain and you'll need it to beat. But I can be wrong about this. 

That's what I was referring to. I was being sarcastic.

Around the Network

So, when No Man's Sky releases next June, even counting just one planet, won't that be the biggest game world of all time?

I mean...they say the planets are "planet sized", which would make them gigantic in game world terms. Even if they are exaggerating and the planets are only the size of our moon, that would make them 38 MILLION square km. That's 9500 times larger than the (possibly exaggerated) world of XCX.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
So, when No Man's Sky releases next June, even counting just one planet, won't that be the biggest game world of all time?

I mean...they say the planets are "planet sized", which would make them gigantic in game world terms. Even if they are exaggerating and the planets are only the size of our moon, that would make them 38 MILLION square km. That's 9500 times larger than the (possibly exaggerated) world of XCX.

I don't think it's right to include prodecural generation based games in terms of biggest because they are by their nature limitless, if we were to count prodecural generation games, then all of them would share the top position since all of them would be capable of endless map generation (hardware allowing).

Tachikoma said:
Normchacho said:

I don't think it's right to include prodecural generation based games in terms of biggest because they are by their nature limitless, if we were to count prodecural generation games, then all of them would share the top position since all of them would be capable of endless map generation (hardware allowing).

Thats an arbituary/goal shifting rule, one suited to supporting a particualr view, it doesnt matter what the mechanism is, it's the end result, if No Mans Sky is endless then that is the size of the map

Rab said:
Tachikoma said:

Thats an arbituary/goal shifting rule, one suited to supporting a particualr view, it doesnt matter what the mechanism is, it's the end result, if No Mans Sky is endless then that is the size of the map

Actually, it's a rather logical rule.

How exactly do you measure the size of infinity?, it's the same ilk as calling a simple game where there is no ending only a high score table, and if you keep playing without dying there is no attainable goal beyond a high score, is it right to call those the longest games ever made, because they have the potential to be played forever?, they, in my opinion, belong in a class of their own.

Largest world map should be about a fixed, manually created world only, not prodecural generation as procedurally generated worlds do not carry the same connotations towards effort and skill as a large manually created fixed world.

When a game with a pre-created world ships, that world is predefined and set in stone, but sometimes, as is the case with fallout and skyrim, expansions upon that world could be made, in the same light, when minecraft ships and no mans sky ships, the pre-created areas are miniscule, and it relies on generation to build a world for you, a world unique to each player, not a world every user gets to explore in the same way.

Around the Network

Does anyone get "lost communication with wii remote" playing chronicles on the wii u? Happens when i leave the room for a couple of minutes or so, just using the gamepad. Pressing A continues it, just wondering it this is normal?

Tachikoma said:

Largest world map should be about a fixed, manually created world only

No

Random_Matt said:
Does anyone get "lost communication with wii remote" playing chronicles on the wii u? Happens when i leave the room for a couple of minutes or so, just using the gamepad. Pressing A continues it, just wondering it this is normal?

Auto-timeout on the remote to save battery life.

Rab said:

No

4/10 on your bait sir, you forgot the full stop.

cycycychris said:
Gezz so much fighting over which map is bigger. All I care about is what ever the said game is fun or not, whether it had a bigger map or smaller map than another game. I play games for enjoyment, not for bragging rights over the size of a map.

+1, dunno what the fuss is over which map will be bigger. What really matters is that the maps to most of the games mentioned will be dang big, haha. x ) Also, if it's fun... : X

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

SpokenTruth said:
Rab said:
Tachikoma said:

Largest world map should be about a fixed, manually created world only

No

So a game that has a flat, repeating 2x2 texture extending forever should be included in the same conversation regarding landscapes that took years to manually sculpt by the developers?

Yes, then you can discuss how bad you think it is in comparison to handmade landscapes

Anyway what your saying doesnt make sense, so games like No Mans Sky cant be discussed in the company of other open world games, particularly factoids about it's relative map size?