By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scarlett Johansson May Star in a Gamergate Movie

That description doesn't make any sense. GamerGate was a confused mess of trolls, mysogynists, and people upset with journalists being dicks. That description doesn't address that. It's just a generic blah blah blah everyone's gamers blah blah elitism. And more importantly, the GamerGate fiasco was a complex issue, not something that could be summed up in one paragraph. In short, I hope it will be canned and forgotten. In fact, I would love to be able to brain-bleech the whole nonsensical disaster from the world's collective memory.

Around the Network
FragilE^ said:
mornelithe said:

Actually, what I'm hearing is that Hollywood would love this, because it gives them a chance to try to damage the one entertainment industry that makes more money than they do.  But, it really doesn't cater to many people's interests, and if Gjoni wins in Massachussetts, yeah, it could be disastrous to even touch that movie.

I had forgotten about that :o So glad he got the funds for it. He, and the rest of the sane world, really needs that win.

He's basically already won, now he's looking to set legal precedent.  When he put in the request for judicial review, Quinn tried to have the gag order removed, however, per Mass. law, he can still have the case reviewed.  And considering it's looking like she perjured herself in order to get the restraining/gag order in the first place, it could be potentially bad for her.  But, bottom line, right now Eron can talk about the case, and talk about her.  The judicial review will still happen, however.

mornelithe said:

He's basically already won, now he's looking to set legal precedent.  When he put in the request for judicial review, Quinn tried to have the gag order removed, however, per Mass. law, he can still have the case reviewed.  And considering it's looking like she perjured herself in order to get the restraining/gag order in the first place, it could be potentially bad for her.  But, bottom line, right now Eron can talk about the case, and talk about her.  The judicial review will still happen, however.

I'm so out of the loop. The youtube personalities I follow really wants that to go well too and I havent heard anything from them so I just assumed it wasn't settled yet. Its especially important now that she was on the UN and all that. Please media, do your job then and question all of this bullshit >.> Like that would ever happen. I man can dream though, right?

FragilE^ said:
mornelithe said:

I'm so out of the loop. The youtube personalities I follow really wants that to go well too and I havent heard anything from them so I just assumed it wasn't settled yet. Its especially important now that she was on the UN and all that. Please media, do your job then and question all of this bullshit >.> Like that would ever happen. I man can dream though, right?

I follow a few people involved/in the know.  I really try not to associate with the tag, just because it's really used to damn people across the board.  But, I'm largely keen on seeing the Media taken to task for their clear transgressions.   I'm very curious to see if the Society of Professional Journalists involvement will achieve anything.  Lynn Walsh (President Elect, co-wrote the SPJ code of Ethics, which is recognized worldwide) will be at a SXSW panel soon, regarding it.  That should be interesting to see.

But yeah, Eron won because Zoe ran, and he'll likely set precedent so people aren't able to abuse the system in this fashion in the future.

What would a movie like this even be about? Because this is one of those situations where its outcome and message will almost entirely depend on which of its aspects the director focuses on the most of the whole situation. The amount of harassment people had to go through because of the Gamergate situation was vile, and depending on how that's portrayed you'll have some saying they either went too soft on it and others claiming it "misrepresented what Gamergate is" (whoever is okay with harassing people can get fucked, you're not a hero). I don't support Gamergate so hopefully this is treated with seriousness. 

Edit: My original post in this thread was worded very poorly and did not do a good job at conveying what my point was all this time ago so I came back to rewrite it with a more accurate representation of what I was trying to say at the time. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 13 August 2021

Around the Network

"Most gamers give zero fu*ks about this. Like the rest of us, they’re just here to play games"

Thank you Zoe. Thank you.

Nuvendil said:
That description doesn't make any sense. GamerGate was a confused mess of trolls, mysogynists, and people upset with journalists being dicks. That description doesn't address that. It's just a generic blah blah blah everyone's gamers blah blah elitism. And more importantly, the GamerGate fiasco was a complex issue, not something that could be summed up in one paragraph. In short, I hope it will be canned and forgotten. In fact, I would love to be able to brain-bleech the whole nonsensical disaster from the world's collective memory.

That is actually the worst possible outcome. you don't stick your head in the sand and pretend something didn't happen, no body learns anythin from that. The unethical practises of the journlists and the gaming devs involved need to be called out and taken to task for their actions, not sure what real remedies there for that apart from showing other journalists that if you are corrupt you will lose your job or your reputation. The trolls, mysogynists et al also need to be called out, charged where appropriate or at least identified so that others see such behaviour isn't acceptable and has real consequences. nobody learns anything if you sweep it under the carpet and forget it.

mornelithe said:

I follow a few people involved/in the know.  I really try not to associate with the tag, just because it's really used to damn people across the board.  But, I'm largely keen on seeing the Media taken to task for their clear transgressions.   I'm very curious to see if the Society of Professional Journalists involvement will achieve anything.  Lynn Walsh (President Elect, co-wrote the SPJ code of Ethics, which is recognized worldwide) will be at a SXSW panel soon, regarding it.  That should be interesting to see.

But yeah, Eron won because Zoe ran, and he'll likely set precedent so people aren't able to abuse the system in this fashion in the future.

Did you hear the statements from the new president in Canada? :)
We really need some legal victories and some actual awareness around what actually happened.

nanarchy said:
Nuvendil said:

That is actually the worst possible outcome. you don't stick your head in the sand and pretend something didn't happen, no body learns anythin from that. The unethical practises of the journlists and the gaming devs involved need to be called out and taken to task for their actions, not sure what real remedies there for that apart from showing other journalists that if you are corrupt you will lose your job or your reputation. The trolls, mysogynists et al also need to be called out, charged where appropriate or at least identified so that others see such behaviour isn't acceptable and has real consequences. nobody learns anything if you sweep it under the carpet and forget it.

I didn't say forget as in sweep under rug.  I said bleech.  Eradicate.  The whole event.  As in, I was being fairly facetious :P .

But here's the thing, the whole debacle is so tainted and toxic and convoluted there ain't much to learn and it will be years or decades before it can even be discussed without both "sides" threatening to have you shot at dawn if you don't pick a side and start kissing it's rear.  So charging?  Calling out?  Hardly gonna happen now.  Not likely to happen later.  Not based on this anyway.  The biggest lessons to learn here are stuff no one should need teaching.  Anonymity + Audience = Asshole.  Don't try to build a movement around a hash tag (cause any tom, dick, or Hary can use a hashtage whenever they please).  Don't feed the trolls.  Sensationalists gonna sensationalize.  This is stuff no one should need to be told.  It's mostly common sense.